7th Annual (almost) Jewell Island May 23-25 or 26

gyork

Trip description on NSPN calendar.

Mark your calendars for "holiday" time from work or other, before you get roped into cousin Wilbur's Memorial Day weekend back-yard barbecue. I am looking for someone to volunteer for the role of "organizer" as I will be "disconnected" the week leading up to the trip, but plan to join you on Fri. I'd like some suggestions please for potential launch sites, other than Cousin's. Winslow park comes to mind. Logistics? Freeport PD?

gary

Related to Ed's post on a different thread, which I totally agree with:

"My $.02 about CAM as it applies to NSPN trips is that in my opinion it is important to recognize that the initiator does have certain responsibilities which are of a leadership nature. As a club member, if I am going to drive over an hour to go on a paddle, I want to know, in addition to the basics of launch site and time, what the primary purpose of the paddle will be in terms of are we going to visit a lighthouse and tour it, are we going to paddle close to shore and enjoy wandering around rocks, are we going to do straight line courses at speed, are we going to stop at given locations to watch wildlife or surf. I do not want to arrive and have those present decide to change the nature and extent of the paddle (as a a pure CAM endeavor might) since they may change it so the paddle no longer appeals to me. I want to feel confident the initiator has taken into account relevant trip planning issues (for example tides) in developing the proposed trip. I want to feel confident the initiator will take the time at the launch to explain things, make adjustments to the plan as needed, to see that folks have the appropriate equipment, etc. I do not see how expecting these things from a trip initiator in any way is anti-CAM. It also has nothing to do with and does not prevent using CAM concepts for making decisions about things and how responses to events during the paddle are handled. I am a big proponent of the active trip participant (I tend to treat every trip as a solo trip in terms of planning , etc.), but I don't see how encouraging people to be so makes the basic tasks which should be behind the posting of the trip initiator any less important or necessary.

Ed Lawson"

In the past, I have assumed the dual role of initiator/organizer for this trip. I like to be sure that paddlers that sign up are in touch with one another thru Email, with relevant topics to include everyone by the "reply ALL" button. I will collect car make/model/tag Emergency contact, cell/home phone, and E's to be shared with all participants. All this info entered into an Excel spreadsheet, along with a simplified float plan, and shared with significant others and local PD. Though most don't take me seriously, in keeping to the CAM concept, I ask for volunteers to assume roles as Officers of SAFETY (equipment, radio checks, etc.), NAVIGATION, WEATHER (forecast, weather alerts, etc), and ACTIVITIES (day trip and on-island options). Someone new should be in charge of the beach briefings at each launch.

Simply put, I have invited you to a paddling party, where I am the "host".

I am happy to help with this role leading up to the trip, but will not be part of the go/no go decision if we have potential weather, as ocurred last year.

Gary, I would like to accept your request to act as a co-organizer. I will have completed 4*/guide training the first week in May under John Carmody and the Jewel trip would be an excellent venue to put into practice all that information. The timing is perfect to help solidify the skills learned earlier in the month.

Dave

Dave:

So I should come and capsize in the middle on nowhere next to a rock buffeted by waves? And when you come to rescue me, I should grab your boat and capsize you too?

Sounds like more fun than debating whether/how/if the guide/leadership skills apply to CAM trips.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Hahaha!! You're too late however. Been there, done that last fall. So I was thinking more of the planning and organizational aspects of the weekend. I just saw this as an opportunity to be more than a participant and give back for all the great teaching and tips received from fellow NSPN members.

I'll be going, and I had PM''d Gary, who urged me to post on this tread;

It is likely that more than 8 people will be along , in which case it would be best to paddle to and from Jewell in at least two groups .

Traditionally the group has put in at either Cousins island or Falmouth Foreside. I would like to put in from the north, not west, probably at either Harpswell or Orr's Island , so it might be best to organize two put- ins. (e g one at Cousins or Falmouth, one at Harpswell) This would give participants more options for launch- and-return time and location, and ensure that any group of paddlers on the water is not too big.

There is, of course, the option to all put in at the same place and paddle to/from Jewell in two pods, but fyi, I am interested in putting in from the north.

Peter:

I would like to participate in the Jewell trip and the northern launch would be my choice. So I will count on that and hope the stars align so I can go.

FWIW, my thought is Orr's provides more variety/interesting options to and from Jewell, but its all good.

Ed Lawson

The tides for that weekend look favorable enough to launch from Winslow State park if some wish a western site. I've parked overnight at Dolphin Marina, Harpswell which is another possibility from the north. Both sites offer pkg with nominal fee. The marina is an all tides site to boot.

Just to increase options for planning purposes there are two other northern launch sites suitable for a larger group (5+). I believe you can use the Merepoint state launch site for overnight trips if you arrange with the Brunswick PD. It is not kayak friendly in terms of no easy beach, but is a nice big area with parking and changing/restrooms and the ramps are spacious. There is a nice all tide beach at the cribstone bridge between Orr's and Bailey which as the advantage of being a very pleasant spot with a store for goodies and a kayak outfitter who might have something you forgot. The launch/parking fees are reasonable.

From Merepoint you can wander down an island chain, visit the Goslings and Whaleboat on the way to Jewell. Using the cribstone site you can go down the outside or inside of Bailey and take the long way to Jewell via boring (if weather is benign) crossings to Half Way Rock Light or more directly via Eagle.

Ed L:awson

.......other northern launch sites suitable for a larger group (5+).

Ed L:awson

I seem to recall that the Dolphin Marina (Basin Point, Harpswell) offers overnight parking, a reasonable launch, and Sunday (or ?Mon)brunch upon returning?

two years ago i parked at Dolphin Cove Marina near the point of Harpswell neck : en route to Jewell . . Roger and i paddle back there together and i drove him back to his car at Cousins, where he had put in . Dolphin Cove Marina waived the overnight parking fees if we dined at their restaurant, so Roger and i had a most pleasant lunch there . its a very nice spot with a commanding view of Casco Bay

Besides the restaurant, direct shot to Jewell, and views; I would consider it a fairly safe and secure place to park as well. Not an inconsequential matter.

As Peter indicates, the restaurant is known for being good.

Ed Lawson

I like Peter's suggestion of two pods and two launch sites. Since I've never paddled in this area I would be just as happy to leave from Cousin's unless there is a problem leaving cars there overnight.

Katherine

I sent a PM to you through the website but it looks like it was blocked. If you are still interested in being a co-organizer please contact me. You can either text or call 603-842-9600 or email at merriman@metrocast.net

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to go again. My schedule is uncertain if anything I will just show up at the camp site and say hi.

Jeff Charette and I will be the co-organizers for this year's Jewell trip. This will be a first time experience for both Jeff and me. First time organizing and first trip to Jewell.

I do have contact information for some. Gary, Peter, Gene, Katherine, Rob and Cathy, Rob H.. For everyone else wanting to participate please send the following information to my email at merriman@metrocast.net.

Name and phone number and home phone

Email address

ER contact and phone

Boat information

Auto information: Make, model, color, plate and state.

Friday I will send out email to start our communication string so all see all emails. With that email there will be suggestions for 2-3 northern launch sites. Please state your preference (1). Jeff and I will contact the launch sites for details. There is a good possibility we will be launching two groups from separate sites. For each group volunteers needed for the following positions: navigator, weatherman.

Since we will have two groups, I have an idea for meals. We will be camping two nights: each group takes responsibility for an evening meal. So for each launch pod a volunteer will be needed to coordinate an evening meal.

Jeff and I are really looking forward to this opportunity and are anticipating a great time.

One aspect of the annual Jewell trip that has taken on a life of it's own is the food. I don't know if it was always planned this way, but the first night has tended to be a pot-luck to end all pot-luck dinners. The amount and variety of food, desserts, and beverages has become legendary, to the point where leftovers are plentiful enough for the second night as well. I for one wouldn't mind sticking to the pot luck tradition.

One aspect of the annual Jewell trip that has taken on a life of it's own is the food. I don't know if it was always planned this way, but the first night has tended to be a pot-luck to end all pot-luck dinners. The amount and variety of food, desserts, and beverages has become legendary, to the point where leftovers are plentiful enough for the second night as well. I for one wouldn't mind sticking to the pot luck tradition.

Life of its own, and Legendary indeed! I second this !

Given the tradition that Gary has established ( the schedule, the quality, the array of camp kitchen gear, and the sheer volume of food ) I suspect that food and camp kitchen planning will be one of the easier tasks.