Apostle Islands - Lake Superior

cfolster

I would like to plan a trip to Lake Superior to see the Painted Rocks and the caves at Apostle Islands.

I have a list of outfitters from the National Park Service, but I don't really know much about them. Does anyone have any experience with a specific outfitter/guide?

Has anyone paddled there and have suggestions, guidance, etc.?

Is anyone interested in a week long trip - spanning two weekends? Not sure if this year or next year - just laying the groundwork and dreaming . . .

Cathy

This is a place I would love to paddle - looks beautiful from the pictures I've seem. I won't be able to do it this year because of commitments already in place, but if you are looking for company for the following year, I would be interested.

It is funny you should mention this destination. I have a cousin who lives in the area who paddles and we are in the process of nailing down the logistics for this summer adventure. I have used the Living Adventure Outfitters (Wisconsin) for a trip down to the Yucatan one year. They are a NDK distributer and do rent NDKs on a weekly basis - not cheap but they are a reliable outfitter with an ecological bent. They also have guided trips to the Apostle Islands.

During the summer months, my cousin has a boat and he takes tourists around to see the sights so he knows the area well. Once I get a chance to start planning the trip with him I will share with you what I know and what he recommends --

You may want to check out Nigel Foster's article on paddling Lake Superior -- he wrote it a couple of years ago --someone must have a copy --

Also, there are no tides and the winds do kick up causing some challenging conditions when least expected --

Les

I think that Bayfield, Wisconsin is the gateway to the Apostles and there are kayak operations (stores, tours, outfitters) there.Getting there is the biggest challenge; long way from anywhere, I think Madison, Duluth and Minneapolis are the nearest cities with airports.

I think that Bayfield, Wisconsin is the gateway to the Apostles and there are kayak operations (stores, tours, outfitters) there.Getting there is the biggest challenge; long way from anywhere, I think Madison, Duluth and Minneapolis are the nearest cities with airports.

I planned to drive. I figure I could split the driving into two days with a stop at Niagara Falls, which is about half way. That way I would have my own boat and gear.

Thank you everyone for the info . . .keep it coming if you learn of more. I am most worried about the weather. My biggest question is about the 'sudden' change in weather. Is it forecast-able to the extent that there are typical local conditions that occur and if they are in place, it's possible for the sudden bad weather/squalls to develop? So you would know that even though it's calm, the conditions are present that could cause those squalls or not, and just be prepared. Conversely, if those conditions are not present, you don't need to worry. Or, is there really no rhyme or reason to them?

Drysuit is definitely on the packing list!

Cathy - as for weather. Yes, yes, yes. It is sudden and quick and also forecastable, perhaps not at the same time though.

Definitely drysuit water. I have been on the Lake and 90 degree days and with a drysuit on. Lake Superior is considered a year round drysuit place.

When the winds blow from across the lake, it moves the warm top water away and then the cold water is pulled up from the very bottom of the lake.

Beautiful water and great area which reminds me of the lakes region in Maine. Very remote.

When the weather is nice, it is a bathtub. When it isn't, there is no place to hide from the winds.

Cathy,

You might consider looking at any historical weather patterns for the areas you plan to paddle and then craft your trip plan to take advantage of any wind. Better yet, if multiple cars make the drive out, position one at the take out. It is so nice when you can have the wind to your back and a smile on your face!

Warren

With a record breaking 87% of the Great Lakes covered with ice and snow right now, this wold make a nice snowshoe trek.

Just sayin!

I once or twice did multi day ski touring trips in the BWCA. We stayed on the lakes except for portages and one of the more disconcerting things was you would encounter areas where there was a layer of water between the snow and ice. When you first hit them you would sink down a few inches and you did not know if there was nothing but water below you or it was OK. Caused a few anxious seconds. Making a snowshoe trek on a frozen Great Lake would be a neat adventure.

Interestingly, despite the cold weather here, the lakes in NH have far less ice than normal, and I could see open water on the big Winni a week ago.

Ed Lawson