New gear wishlist for 2014

Lbeale

I am interested in purchasing a hammock for camping --

Looking at the Hennessy scout hammock for 100 buckaroos

Does anyone know about camping hammocks and could make a recommendation? Not interested in winter use.

Les

PS- Thanks in advance for suggestions or recommendations.

I used a Lawson hammock on a couple of different long trips to the FLA keys....was concerned about finding any dry ground in some of the boonies on which to put a tent up....had varying success with that hammock. Do recall having to take one day off for the back pain inflicted - day in a hot tub with strange women and proffered amateur pharmacology...long time ago, hazy memory.

More recently I've used regular camping hammocks and have had even less success...those light weight camping jobbers are definitely designed for less stout folks than yours truly and have all failed disastrously at one point or another. I HAVE used a Hennessy...they're pretty slick but, unlike the Lawson, could not be staked out and used on the ground in a pinch.

IMPORTANT safety note...DO NOT put hammock up over pointed sticks, rocks and other such things that if / when the hammock fails and you plummet to earth will cause sucking chest wounds, various and sundry other trauma. Bad, most likely fatal juju while out in the back of beyond.

Peanuts like you might not have to worry about things breaking under your weight...things like eggshells, china, the surface tension of water but the rest of us weigh more and these things are a concern.

I love my Hennessey expedition, particularly in the tropics, where it's often tough to find a level tentspace. I've carried it along Maine's seacoast but find precious few places to string it, and even when trees are available, soil on those islands is so poor I worry about uprooting trees. A tensioned, loaded Hennessey hammock puts one heck of a horizontal pull on the supports.

While we're on gear, I tried out a Biolite campstove, with the idea of replacing gas fuel with twigs, and found it pretty much a joke as a camp cookstove, at least when compared to a white gas stove.

Edited by josko

Les,

Talk to me about this at the next pool session. In a nutshell - you'll probably be fine with the Scout since you are petite. You might need a pad under you since air will be able to circulate around you and you will be compressing the fill in your bag as you lie on it. If you get a more expensive model there are add-ons for them that will not fit the Scout (I think). The more expensive models are also guy-ed out asymmetrically which, according to Hennessy, makes it easier to lie on your side. I'm not sure that is true. I only had trouble with my Hennessy Expedition model when rain came in from the end when it was quite windy. I ordered the Hexagonal tarp for more coverage and I am happier with it. All-in-all I love my Hennessy hammock, but there are times when I still prefer my tent. When I got mine, there was only the bottom entrance available - now they have the additional choice of a zippered side entry - might be easier to get in and out. The people at Hennessy are very helpful. I'd give them a call if you have questions.

-Nancy