NYT : 'A speck on the sea'

bazzert

Fascinating article about the survival of an overboard fisherman off Long Island ... fortunately it was July and not January!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/magazine/a-speck-in-the-sea.html?pagewanted=1&hp

Barry.

I read the article and thought that fishermen could benefit from wearing one of those PFD's that sailors favor-flat , light and un-inflated unless you pull a cord or hit the water. The other idea was that when working with an open deck to the water as he was he could have been tethered-again another safety practice of many sailors. Great story and one of great courage and mental focus in a confusing and scary situation.

Wow. Great story. I ran through a range of emotions reading it even though I gathered, from the wording of Barry's post, that the outcome would be a good one. Fortunately the searchers didn't try to "bend the map" (yes, I've just started reading a fascinating book called "The lost art of finding our way" maybe some of you have heard of it ;) ) and try and make the original theory work. The take away for me is... Be mentally (and physically, of course) prepared for the possibilities, keep thinking, NEVER give up hope....and thank the Coast Guard for being out there.

It is impressive how he was calm enough to figure out how his boots could act like a pfd. Something to be said for letting go of what you think you know (rubber boots sink you) and just going with your gut.

Les