2014 Kayaking Goals

cfolster

Happy New Year!

It's time again to think about the coming year and where your kayak might take you - literally, figuratively, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically . . . you get the idea.

I posted my goals for 2013 last year and have done a pretty good job on them. Accomplished some and not others, but the point was to reach for something and learn along the way, which I most definitely did. The thing I learned most is that there's so much to learn, I might set out to work on one skill and end up learning another one entirely! It's all good!

So, here, in no particular order, are my goals for 2014:

- get in better physical shape to make it easier to kayak (yes, there's lots of other good reasons, but this is a kayak message forum!)

- kayak more than in 2013

- learn/practice/work on surfing - this is the tough one - not a big fan of surfing

- get on those standing waves and continue to learn and have fun - this is the easy one! They were the big challenge last year and now I like them - thanks Lorrie Allen!

- improve my forward stroke - this needs to be on the list every year!

What are your kayaking goals for the coming year?

Cathy,

Thank you for starting this thread which has now become an annual NSPN tradition. Not only does it help us take a moment to collect our thoughts, but it also helps connect us to one another by seeing similar goals so our journeys might intersect. Perhaps that is one of the greatest strengths of NSPN.

Here goes,

1. Attempt to transition from being a multi-day kayak camper to achieving beginner status in the field of sea kayak expeditions.

2. Attempt to consolidate my knowledge across all aspects of sea kayaking by going back to paddling school in the area incident management, navigation, etc.

3. Realizing how sea kayaking involves the interaction of body, boat and blade, focus more on the body aspect to achieve greater flexibility, strength and endurance. The use of a KayakPro SpeedStroke Gym ergometer as well as a revised fitness program will be my goals.

4. Have fun kayak camping all along the coast of Maine with other NSPN kayak campers!

Warren

1) Assess for BCU 4*

2) Complete a week-long camping trip

3) Go on my first solo camping trip

4) Improve my camp culinary skills beyond hotdogs and beans

5) Ride a standing wave

6) Improve my boat handling skills in rough water

Cathy,

Made my day to see riding standing waves and having fun is the easy one on your list. Do you ant to come surfing with Phil and me this year? I need to improve my surfing skills, but can definitely show you what's fun about it!

My goals for this year are:

1) Return to Wales in May!

2) Improve my ability to read water, especially the subtleties.

3) Practice more advanced navigation skills, such as night nav and plotting ferry angles

4) After several seasons of lots of trainings and assessments, take a little break to just have fun!

What grand goals you all have!

I have one goal: to be able to get into my boat at the start of a paddle, and out of it at the end.

Anything/everything else will flow from there: improving formal paddling skills (which I rather neglected last year because I was just having so much fun being out on the water), getting to more skills sessions at Walden, getting Lorrie to make me love standing waves as much as Cathy apparently now does, and going on lots and lots of trips (day, overnight, wknd, multiday up and down the coast of Maine,with new friends - some of whom I haven't even met yet - as well as the usual crowd of paddling buddies).

Plus, I'd really like to stay right side up if we're able to get back to Cobscook this year!

Plus, be a teabag for Rob's successful 4* assessment!

pru

My 2014 sea kayaking goals.

• Lot of sea kayak surfing! (Perhaps join Cathy, Lorrie, and Phil?)
  • Learn some more kayak rolls.
  • Improve my current kayak rolls.
  • Get better at teaching kayak rolling.
  • Get out on the ocean more than last year.

Not to be a party pooper with the secrecy - Cohasset, Little Harbor on the South Shore both have nice standing waves develop.

Going up north, there's this connecting river between the Sheepscott and the Kenebec called the Sasanoa (I think) there's an "Upper Hell Gate" and "Lower Hell Gate", which have nice standing waves, depending on what part of the tide cycle you're on. "Hell Gate" is Dutch for what is basically a reversing rapids in a tidal estuary.

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Thank you John. Anything on the North Shore?

Under the Rt. 1A Bridge in Seabrook can get standing waves in it. This is part of the access route for the Hampton summer surf sessions held on Thursday nights. I was only there once, but the tide was roaring out of there and a couple of us almost didn't make it back in. My understanding is that it can be a tough spot to play in, though, because of boat traffic.

Andy,

Under the bridge in Seabrook can be a great place to play, but be careful. You might consider timing your play to a flood tide where you "wash out" into a calm estuary, so study your tide chart and luna cycle. Rob is correct about the risk of boat traffic, so try not to play solo. You may also encounter three additional risks. On the south side beach, you may have people fishing. The fishing lines for me, hit at neck height if I am not careful. On the north side, you have rocks so wear a helmet. But I feel the greatest risk is the presence of jet ski youngsters who fly along at 30 plus mph. However, with enough buddies to watch out for you, you can have fun under the bridge!

Warren

Please, someone tell me where the standing waves are !

Not a place to practice or play, but at certain times there are pretty big standing waves going through the Blynman Canal Bridge. Once I thought I would have a heart attack while watching my then novice paddling partner frozen in position on the waves while approaching the bridge.

• 5 weeks later...

More & better!

Lorrie, I'm in for standing waves!

REFINED:

Annual Jewell Camping Trip (this will be my 4th attempt to make this trip)

Annual Ladies Paddle (Kittery to Brave Boat??)

Solo paddle (Conomo Point to Granite Pier and return)

"dry" run of solo paddle with company

Boston Harbor

Circumnavigate Cranes beach

Circumnavigate Cape Ann

Explore the area in Portsmouth that I went to with Scott Shear but now can't remember....

Launch from Tucks Point and discover why Blaine and Bob like it so much

Rockport to Thatcher and return

Bristol RI to Prudence Island and return

Fall lake camping trip

Hang with Mr. Carmody for a few days

Lots of post-paddle ice cream

lots of cleaning gear with a Mike's hard Lemonade

AND

play with the whales in Canada (St Lawrence Bay area)

(I was saving that trip for the year I turned 55, which I thought was next year, I forgot how old I am, so the trip is this year)

NEXT YEAR

circumnavigate Isle au Haut

SOME YEAR

circumnavigate Ireland

circumnavigate Manhattan

• 2 weeks later...