Dave Duncanson

PeterB

I learned yesterday that Dave Duncanson, a longtime NSPN member, died several weeks ago after contracting an aggressive form of organ cancer a fairly short time ago . Deb and Dave Duncanson were active club members in years past, and surely know many people who will be reading this.

I knew Dave ,as he was surely known to others, as one half of an extraordinarily solid marriage, and as a fine paddler, fine person, and fine friend in his own right. He and Deb shared a love of the outdoors, and were seemingly inseparable, paddling together all along the Maine coast every summer and skiing together in the White mountains every winter, all winter. Together they have paddled significant portions of the Maine Island Trail, and were regulars at Chebacco Lake.

Personally, I feel fortunate to have known and paddled with Dave. I have attached two photos of him , both from a kayak trip we took to Vinalhaven a few years ago.

post-100369-0-87683000-1386282458_thumb.post-100369-0-53699800-1386282762_thumb.

Peter, thanks for sharing. I am very saddened by the news. I always enjoyed paddling with Dave and Deb. You could see the joy they shared in their lives together. They were always doing something active and outside.

What a loss. I remember taking a Nigel Foster surf lesson with Dave and Deb. It was one of those Autumn days that was cold and rainy with dumping surf off Nahant. Dave was fearless no matter how many times and how hard he was dumped. Got right back into that kayak and was game for some more rough and tumble rides.

On top of that, he and Deb were always a pleasure to know and to paddle with --

Sad news for me --

Lles

• 1 month later...

Hello, Peter and friends,

Thank you for your kind words and wonderful memories of Dave. He really was a great guy and the stories of his legacies in so many areas are amazing. I finally put his obituary in the Globe last Sunday, January 26

I am managing to move. As you can imagine, I miss Dave terribly. I have been able to go to our house in NH to cross country ski and I will return to kayaking when the weather warms up. I have decided to do the Pan Mass Challenge this August to honor Dave's memory and support the work of Dana Farber who were wonderful to us. So, I plan to spend a fair amount of time on my bicycle, too.

Thanks again.

deb duncanson

David Duncanson (with quotes) and pictures minus DF.docx