Food Dehydrator and Vacuum Sealer

I am seeking recommendations from the NSPN community regarding which make/model food dehydrator and vacuum sealer to purchase.

My current kayak camping food plan is just not going to cut it any longer with airline weight/size restrictions. Big bulky food is out! Compact, nutritionally dense food is in!

I located several excellent backpacking cookbooks and will hopefully spend the winter months experimenting in my test kitchen. Any experiences you would like to share?

If all goes well, I hope to be able to stuff 42 meals and 14 snacks in a 10 liter bag! Yeah right?!

Warren

Edited by Warren

Hi Warren,

I have the The 530 watt L'EQUIP® Filter Pro. I'm pretty happy with it, although the units with the slide out trays are very popular and some are highly recommended; mine is a stacker.

I have yet to buy any of the pack packer or the kayak/canoeist cookbooks, for that matter, but it has been my intention to do just what you intend to do this winter with processing your own camping foods.

There is a good article on using dehydrators for kayak camping Sea Kayaker Mag, though I don't have it handy to give you a good reference. Maybe it was a year ago or less, I don't remember.

So far I've dried, kiwi's and strawberries. I've made lots of vegan, cheezy kale chips, a recipe I've developed based on Brad's Raw Kale chips. I'll share it with you if you want I've also dried some cooked black japonica rice and fresh red and green peppers too. All, with good results. I have a long way to go and need to have a big enough of a stash to camp for 3 or 4 days by mid-spring.

One of my issues with wilderness camping in general is that I have a nutritarian diet ala, Dr. Furhman. This is a long story that I won't go into here in to much depth, discussing diet is a little like discussing sex, or religion, in public. ;) But healthy eating has improved my health a lot and enabled me to get off of the typical medications that middle aged men usually take if eating the Standard American Diet . Plus I'm stronger, faster, and I feel better in general with a healthy diet; I get a lot less colds and sniffles too. Typical processed, wilderness camping food, is way to loaded with fat, sodium, and empty calories for me, it's out of the ballpark. ;-) Instant mac and cheese is just not going to cut if for me.

You can see how it's much easier for me to go "glamping" in an RV, pulling a trailer full of kayaks, than to paddle out into the "wilderness" and sleep there. I'm hoping to follow though, put a lot of wear on my dehydrator this winter, and do a lot more camping out of a kayak next year!! Maybe I'll see you out there?

Good Luck in Your Endeavor,

Sid Cohen

Hi Warren,

I have my mother's dehydrator and it works fine, even though it is probably 40 years old. I do not know the brand. I would be happy to loan it to you for the winter as I will not be using it. It has 20 trays so you can do a lot at one time.

I bought a FoodSaver at Costco several years ago and use it constantly. The newer models are probably even better.

Liz

Sid,

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. I agree it is important to maintain a healthy diet while kayak camping. My old method has been to take along a bag of food. Unfortunately, I tend to burn off more calories than I take in and loose about one pound per day. On a 3 or 4 day camping trip, the weight loss is manageable. But on a 13 day trip that would be a serious problem. So the journey to prepare compact, light, nutritionally dense meals has begun. Hopefully, our paths will cross while camping in 2014 and you might remark that the meals I have prepared are both healthy and tasty. Now there is a stretch goal!

Liz,

Thank you very much for your kind offer to borrow your dehydrator. It has taken me several years to begin this journey to learn a better method for kayak camping food preparation and I know that if I invest in the equipment I will most certainly use it on a regular basis. I have begun watching many YouTube videos on both pieces of equipment and I think I can do this. Wish me luck!

Warren

Yeah, there are some days I miss just throwing that "whatever" food bag together for a trip, but here is to healthy, tasty, and nutritionally dense. Lets shoot for the stars and that camping food stretch goal, too. Message me if you need company on your next, day trip, or overnight, anywhere on the coast of ME. Or Thursdays and Fridays, anywhere in MA or CT. I paddle year round, most years. So far, so good, the old bod is holding up. :)

Liz, I too am in the market for a vacuum bag system, so thanks for the recommendation.

Sid

I've enjoyed reading this thread; thanks for posting.

Sid, my wife has taken to Dr. Fuhrman's diet (about 1 1/2 years now), with great results.

Warren, what is your plan for using dehydrated/ vacuum sealed foods while camping? : do you prepare a whole meal or entree (whatever) , then dehydrate/vacuum seal it, and then it's rehydrated and ready to go while camping, or do you dehydrate/vacuum bag various ingredients and staples,(vegetables, potatoes whatever) rehydrate, then prepare a meal while camping?

Peter

Sid, thank you for offering to paddle/camp with me. I would enjoy that very much. Currently, I have several projects on-going to prepare myself for expedition work in 2014. I hope for several over night trips off the coast of Maine to shake out my new gear and methods. I am sure we would enjoy overnight camping trips as I test out my new stove, kitchen gear, bear bag, etc.

Peter, I am glad you are enjoying this thread. It is important to note that most paddlers/campers probably do not need to invest in both a dehydrator and vacuum sealer, but for me the need is great. I seek a food supply that can travel with me on an airplane, can last over 16 days without spoilage and is both light and compact. Most paddlers may not need that type of food supply.

I will be using the equipment for both single serving portions as well as preparing multiple courses for 5/6 paddlers on the team as planned for several dinners during the trip. I will be packaging the ingredients according to the recipes for each particular item, such as drink, dinner, dessert, and grouping them for one particular days' enjoyment.

I discovered during the San Juan Island trip, that my existing method would not work for longer trips involving airplane travel. It is not that the airlines have a limit on the total number of bags, I however have a limit on how many bags I can handle in making all the connections. I use two medium size rolling duffle bags that weigh no more than 50 pounds each. I also carry one medium size backpack and my helmet as carry on items. Surprisingly, my entire kit will fit in this arrangement and is relatively easy to manage. I believe this new method of preparing my food supply will fit into my bags and serve me well.

By the way, the receipes in the cookbooks I now own sound wonderful! Over the next several months, I will be preparing and testing over 40 different recipes. Should be an exciting and delicious winter!

Warren

Exciting; yummy, too.

Is shipping your food an option rather than checking it in as luggage? Seems that if you have a set destination (like where you would be renting or otherwise acquiring your kayak ) you could ship a box there in advance? Possibly the same as some paddling gear that's straightforward to ship but a hassle to travel with as luggage?

Consider shipping. My brother did 3 N-S hikes in the US and had provisions shipped to town POs he would hike down to. With the duration of his hike he had someone commit to ship things as time went on given that POs will discard/return after a certain amount of time. Maybe there won't be obvious places to ship to but an inn, ranger station, or similar spot along the way may agree to hold provisions for you.

I've been very happy with the circular Harvest Maid food dehydrator which I have used for 20+ years. It works very well and is very easy to use, not too expensive either. You can dry just about anything (it has instructions that come with it). I have used it to prepare food for many backpacking trips and daytrips. Sounds like you have some exciting plans Warren!

Beth

Beth, thank you for the suggestion regarding a food dehydrator to purchase. I like easy and inexpensive!

Peter and Bob, shipping the kit is a great option. Shawna and Leon at Body Boat Blade encouraged me to do so. They also have a great deal of experience helping their students ship the kit back home. Although that is clearly an option on any trip involving airplane travel, I have decided to haul my own gear for two reasons. The cost of shipping the gear is greater in my situations and I like the feeling of being more self sufficient. In many ways I am attempting to simulate my interpetation of a modern day version of Jeremiah Johnson. I also believe, for me, amount of effort is related to reward. I have a sense that when you take this path and look back years from now, you will say to yourself, that was not too bad after all. At that point you begin to realize the best reward of all. The sense of a life well lived. Now back to reading the cookbooks........

Keep smiling,

Warren

Yeah, my dehydrator does not have a timer either, or even an on/off switch, you just plug it in and unplug it! But that means nothing to break which may be why it has lasted so long... I just use a timer switch on the outlet, and plug it into that.

Warren, Wow how do manage to lose a pound a day! I mean I know you are a turbo-charged super-paddler, but even on winter backpacking/mountaineering trips (in my younger years) I've never lost more than 2 lbs in a week (and of course I was happy to see it go! :) Some of us are just plain jealous... :) ) still I guess it could get inconvenient to actually have to worry about it!

Sounds like you have an excellent plan for keeping up with your nutritional needs; I have always preferred home-made stuff to the icky and expensive freeze dried and I'm sure it is more nutritious.

Edited by BethS

Liz, Beth, Anna and Sid,

One of the recipes I really like is for preparing Thai Pumpkin Soup which uses Sriracha Chili Sauce, which is a favorite of mine. They say it needs a dehydration time of 6 to 10 hours. Since hot soup at lunch time is a favorite of mine, I will need a dehydrator which has trays that will handle soup. Do you routinely dehydrate soup? Do the dehydrators you have selected come with the appropriate trays? Also, I now have recipes for dehydrating ground beef. The cookbooks say it will last 2/3 weeks if vacuum sealed. Have you had any success dehydrating beef or pork?

Beth, I do see the weight loss as a problem so I have begun reading articles written by experienced kayak expeditioner to understand what they do. In a recent article written by Jeff Allen and published in Ocean Paddler, he refuels 12 times each day while paddling on expeditions. That is something I definitely have not done!

Warren

Edited by Warren

Warren,

I am using a very old 50+ original Ronco dehydrator. I dislike it greatly. It is round and meant to work on covection currents. Works OK for fruits but can't do spaghetti sauce without burning.

My wish list is the Excalibur with a timer just like a previous poster. A friend has the excalibur without the timer but manages it with a regular light timer.

I have the food saver from Costco. Highly recommend it. I don' t mind lending it to you to give it a try if you would like.

Suz

Warren, I have had very good results with soup and spaghetti sauce with mine, it came with special trays for liquids/mushy stuff like soup, stew, and sauces. It turns them into a leathery film which can be rehydrated (or eaten as is, if you are fond of spaghetti sauce leather!). The trick is to use the right temp so things don't burn, be sure you get a model with an adjustable temperature setting.

I agree about frequent refueling, I basically nibble all day long, maybe that's why I don't lose weight on trips :( but it certainly keeps my energy level steadier as well.

Beth

Great suggestions above! Thank you!

I have concluded my on-line review for the dehydrator. The reviews were all pointing me toward the Excalibur. So, based on the on-line reviews, Anna's experience and comments from Suz, I have an Excalibur with timer on it's way.

Now, to focus on the vacuum sealer. Suz, do you happen to know the model for your Food Saver from Costco? And the journey continues.........

Warren

Edited by Warren

Chiming in on a few things already discussed:

I have never dehydrated meat. I have crumbed tofu and dehydrated that. It works great.

My dehydrator has trays to make fruit leather, or dehydrate soups, etc. I once used it to make zucchini flour out of baseball bat sized zucchini: made a slurry in a food processor, poured into the trays to dry, back into the food processor to turn to "flour" - it worked, but WAY too much work for the output.

On drying ingredients v. the meal: I made the mistake of making chili (vegan with tofu) and dehydrating it. When rehydrating, I could not get the beans to moisten. It was like they needed to be soaked over night again. That taught me to only combine ingredients that will rehydrate in a like manner.

Blueberries take FOREVER to dry - likely because the moisture won't seep through the skin. Strawberries are easier. Bananas and pears are my favorites.

Liz

Liz,

Thank you very much for your "Lessons Learned" experiences using a dehydrator. I would have assumed blueberries would be easy to dry.

One of the cookbooks I have purchased in entitled, "The Scout's Backpacking Cookbook" by Tim and Christine Conners. Many of the recipes sound excellent. I have high hopes for a recipe that I believe will be a real crowd pleaser within the NSPN community. It is titled "Vent-the-Tent Burritos"!

Perhaps in January I can update the community with some of my own lessons learned experiences. Wish me luck!

By the way, my research is complete regarding the vacuum sealer. I have settled on the FoodSaver V3460. Should be an exciting winter!

Warren

Sid:

On the typical 3-4 day trip you can take plenty of fresh veggies along with nuts and seeds. I tend to use a few rice/pasta products that are essentially "unprocessed" along with hummus/nut butter and veggies. I don't mind some cheese and perhaps some smoked salmon every other day. Not familiar with your diet, but I find you can get along with fresh and unprocessed stuff most of the time. No need for all that processed stuff even while camping.

Ed Lawson

You can dehydrate sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for the burritos, but it doesn't rehydrate well so just mix it in and it will taste fine. I've found a lot of dehydrated things work that way. We tried a tofu lasagna once, it never really rehydrated well. I think we called it gravel lasagna.

Be sure to get multiple trays and use one for fruits and sweet things, use another for tomato sauce, onions, etc.... The tomato sauce tray will be tinted red so you won't have to label them.

Some grocery stores like whole foods sell dehydrated blueberries, onions, etc.... Even if you don't buy them look around for some ideas.

You might find yourself shopping the "still good" discounted veggie rack, dried mushrooms are a lot cheaper if you dry them yourself.

A favorite of mine is a lot of fruit with some sugar and water in a pot, then cook drop biscuits on top of it.

I see you have decided on the Food Saver so won't bother pulling mine out of the closet to see. The costco one currently online looks like what I have though... Sure if it is a new one, it will be fine. My first one didn't do well with liquid things but the more recent one seems to handle better and has a way to clean out if it sucks up the liquids.

Here is my trick for 'wet' foods, I put the stuff in the food saver bag without sealing it and freeze it until solid. After frozen I then seal the bag. That works for things you are taking on a short trip but not for the 16 day trip.

Personally I don't like tofu dehydrated. It gets too chewy and takes forever to rehydrate, longer than dried beans! I take dried beans for each day and rehydrate them the night before. I tried rehydrating in a hard nalgene bottle. Found that was a bit of an issue as my beans sucked up the water and filled the space. Now I use a platypus big zip bag that is really water proof. I add the beans the night before, add water and then put behind your seat in the boat. That allows you to manage them the next day adding water as necessary. By the next dinner time, they cook very quickly. I MUCH prefer dried beans over canned as they have no sodium and are much tastier and so worth the 'time' to manage them. Feeds large groups in very small volume of dried beans.

My favorite protein to dehydrate is Seitan. I make my own Seitan but sure you can buy it. Cube it small, dehydrate it and then run it through the food processor until it is tiny crumbles sorta like ground meat. It is only as good as the seitan you start with though...

I like to take a combination of dried foods and foods that transport easily. I think it is important to take foods that have some life in them still - things that travel well are hard veggies: potatoes, carrots, parsnip, turnip, hard squashes, onion, garlic, cabbage, citrus- lime for cooking is great. Our last nine day trip in Newfoundland we had AVOCADOS on day 7. What a treat at lunch time! A favorite veggie/salad for dinner is red cabbage sliced fine with sliced onion, lime juice, cilantro and srirachi sauce or hot sauce. Nice crunch when things have begun to get boring.

See attached picture for 9 days of food for 9 people, breakfast, lunch and dinner (minus the perishables bought the day before launch).

Edited by Suz

Can't figure out how to add the picture...

Oh - meant to mention that it is sometimes useful to have good quality freeze dried products to add to your foods that you put together. I have bought onions, peppers - red and green, corn and probably other things from these guys: http://www.northbaytrading.com/dried-vegetables/freeze-dried-vegetables/

Oh - the fruit is really nice freeze dried too!

• 3 weeks later...