Blackburn Challenge

lhunt

Congratulations to Sid Cohen for taking 3rd place in the Sea Kayak class of the Blackburn Challenge out of a field of about 26. His time was 3:40:42.

Yes, he beat me soundly (!) A few pix and some preliminary results are here.

This was the hottest race I've ever been in - sweltering pretty much up 'til Straitsmouth, then cooler, then hot again in the harbor. Has anybody ever figured out how to install an air conditioner in a kayak? (OK, yes, I know, but rolling takes valuable time...)

-Lisa

Edited by LHuntington

I was out in Salem yesterday and we were just meandering along working up no sweat at all, and even with the breeze it sure was HOT. As well it might have been, as it was the hottest day of the year thus far, and a record for the date. And it sure didn't feel any cooler today. Congratulations to you all for your fortitude, discipline and speed!

pru

Sid, that was an excellent first race in almost unbearable heat. Way to go!

Lisa, another way to cool off is to crash into a rock in the Annisquam River resulting in a trip to shore to inspect the damage. It was so comfortable in the water there that I decided to have lunch, and then reverse my path to the finish line in Gloucester harbor. The Blackburn finish line boat thought I broke a new record for kayaks until I came clean.

-Leon

Way to go Sid-outstanding for your first Blackburn. (Had you paddled your Force 4 you would have come in 7th in the FSK category.) Not too shabby Lisa either-maybe you scared the competition away! Leon-Woody Allen says that 85% of success is showing up!

Edited by GCosloy