Older capella -

I recently purchased a very old capella and was curious if anyone could tell me how old it is and how the decklines were set up - they need to be replaced. It paddles great and I love it but just wondering about its vintage.

post-101147-0-78804700-1369579789_thumb.

post-101147-0-44178200-1369579790_thumb.

It's probably built in 1990, as indicated on the builder's label. Those boats with a paddle recess in the stern deck just have static lines (non-stretchy) running down both sides of the stern, and then bungies run between the last pair or two of recessed deck fittings, to hold the blades of the spare paddle. You'll need to order Recessed Deck Fittings (RDFs) to screw into those round holes along each side of the deck. Then your static lines and bungies will go through the RDFs. Looks like the RDFs that are used in current production boats might fit those holes. You can get them online, or better yet, check with a local dealer - that way you can test one before you buy a whole mess of them.

The serial number ends in 98 which does not match the 90 on the builders label.

I suspect it was made in 98 given the deck and the seat. If you email P&H and give them the serial number, they can provide info on the boat in terms of year, construction, model, etc. I thought only the Sirius had the recessed spare paddle fitting. I guess the nice thing is you can install the deck lines as you like them. BTW, I think that seat is one of the best in terms of making you sit properly and eliminating the the need for a backband.

Ed Lawson

The paddle was made by Lendal and called a seamaster. It's was designed to be a spare for P&H boats and the reviews were always less than favorable. If you want one to look nice on the back deck go ahead and buy one but you might want to try it before you depend on it as a spare.

Here's a pic

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8033/dsc003012zp.jpg

Edited by Michael_Crouse

I just picked up a 2001 Orion that has the paddle recess on the back deck. Looks like you need a pretty flat blade for it to work. Mine has a strap for the blades.

Chip,

Hit me up at <Moderator deleted per request> I'd like to hear more about your boat, I just picked up a '92 Orion myself, this past November.

Best,

Marc

PS Please reply relatively soon... I'm going to edit my email out of this post within the next couple hours.

Edited by jason
edited per user request.

Sorry Marc, didn't get back in time. What would you like to know?

Chip,

Hit me up at <Moderator deleted per request> I'd like to hear more about your boat, I just picked up a '92 Orion myself, this past November.

Best,

Marc

PS Please reply relatively soon... I'm going to edit my email out of this post within the next couple hours.

P&H got back to me. The answer is;

This model is an original Capella 169 – number 139 was made in September 1998. It’s colour specification Golden Yellow/White/Black.

It came supplied with a spare paddle. It was sent to America in 1998.

If you send me your address I can mail you the original specification sheet that shows how the deck-lines were set out.

I can also supply the ropes and deck-lines at a cost if you require them. As for the Golden Yellow pigment, I can’t send that from here as it’s classed as hazardous, but the number for it is BS 08 – E – 51,

• 7 years later...

Hello...  Wondering if anybody out there knows of someone that has - and would be willing to sell - a Seamaster paddle.  I’d Would really like to find one to purchase for sentimental reasons.  Please feel free to forward my email to anyone who may have one laying around their shop or garage.  Thank you kindly.  - George