Has anyone used a sling psychrometer on paddling trips? Did you find it useful for predicting fog?

I like the idea of using an old school tool instead of a newer digital version.

Does anyone want to weigh in on weather it's better to simply learn to forecast based upon conditions or to have this tool as part of your arsenal - especially on summer camping trips on the coast of Maine?

Cathy:

I suppose I am a minimalist and my opinion suspect, but I have never heard of anyone carrying a such a device while kayaking. While having all kinds of techno stuff may well be useful, over the long haul just paying attention and knowing what the clouds and wind are telling you and learning how to deal with what appears seems a better idea to me. You can go from sunny skies to 100 yd max. visibility in less than an hour and not sure what being able to twirl a thermometer does for you then. Its like you can carry all kinds of navigation stuff, but eventually you find you can usually do just fine with a chart, compass, fingers, and a watch.

Ed Lawson

Of course this weekend may put things to the test and my opinion may change.

Why carry an extra piece of single-purpose gear when, I presume, you've already got a radio that will provide you with weather information? I like cool tools as much as the next person and I can see the appeal, but there comes a point that it's just more stuff to lug around. If you want to do this simply to satisfy your curiosity or to have a fun toy to play with, by all means do, but from a practical standpoint, there's no justification for it. Are you going to carry a barometer and anemometer, too?

Well, I don't carry one and don't know anyone who does. Also, I must admit, I didn't even know what one was until I google searched after your post:)

I don't recall ever being surprised at the fog coming in... sometimes it moves in faster than you could hope/want but if you are observing, you will see the bank and the world disappearing as it comes in.

I agree with each of you. Observing your surroundings and what the ocean, tempurature, air, clouds, etc are doing is best. I have come across mentions of this gadget a couple times as I've been getting lost on the internet learning about weather and thought it would be fun to play with for a while - but basically it's just that for us kayakers, a toy to play with and unfortunately take up space (although they're not very big). I have no intention of making it part of my kit, but I'll report back if I ever pick one up to play with!

Cathy,

I, as well, wish there was a way to accurately predict the arrival of fog off the coast of Maine. Last fall, while camping on an island in the Sheepscot River, the fog arrived without warning. Within one hour I was buried and was glad I did not need to venture out across the Sheepscot. Fog horns were being used by all the pleasure boats that evening. I must have counted over a dozen separate boats as they were returning. Even with an arsenal of tools and techniques, I would have felt like walking across a multi lane highway and the vision of road kill came to mind. That day I learned how to use an important tool, the need to stay put and have a glass of wine!

Warren

Edited by Warren

I would settle in with a good book and fried cheerios (yes, I have the unique skill of being able to make a healthy food, tasty and unhealthy!), and perhaps play with my sling psychrometer.

I think I just hijacked my own thread!

the fog comes in

on little cat feet

it sits looking over harbor and city

on silent haunches

then moves on.

Robert Frost

Hope I got it right or my HS poetry teacher will be upset......

How is that for a hijack?

i've recently outfitted the flux capacitor in my boat with newly mined dilithium crystals and have been really happy with the results. i've really shaved the old parsecs off my kessel run times.

sling psychrometer - wow. i had at least heard of the stuff above...major arcane points for sling psychrometer!