Multi-day Croatia - References

alcoons

I am looking for recommendations for kayak companies for a multi-day trip out of/near Debrovnik, Croatia. I have done my homework on the web looking at references, but they are more sketchy than for other locations. Many of them are for day trips. Does anyone have personal knowledge of any of the companies?

Of course, any other information is welcome. I am looking at the so-called 7-8 day trips. While I can still paddle long on any given day, my age and shoulders problems limit going too far day-after-day. So, I may look more like a tourist kayaker than a guy that deserves to carry a knife and radio on his PFD :) Then again, who knows if we need to call in an emergency supply of PB&J and need a utensil to spread them.

Thanks,

Al

Hi,

I am Croatian and intimately familiar with the Adriatic, although I've never paddled it. I do encounter large groups of paddling tourists being generally herded around various destinations with mediocre or poor gear and guidance, and would agree with your need to search for references.

John Carmody was just mentioning a contact in Croatia with a store of high end (NDK?) kayaks and what seemed like a competent outfitter. Last fall at the Gales, Peter Jones was also telling me of a collaboratioon with a Croatian outfitter that sounded top notch. I know Pete has gone to Croatia to guide trips. I'm sorry I don't remember the names of either outfitter, but would suggest following up with John and Pete.

Meanwhile, I'd be glad to answer any questions about the area. You might know the area around Dubrovnik is a bit 'boring' and exposed. Dubrovnik itself is a mega tourist trap. However, Mljet national park is <50 miles away and a stupendous paddling destination. As far as I'm concerned the best paddling destinations are the Kornati national park and the area near the island of Vis. Mljet, Kornati or Vis will all take your breath away.

Josko,

Thanks for the complete and very useful feedback.

• When you mention the area around Dubrovnik as "boring", I assume you mean the Elafiti Islands Archipelago: Lopud, Kolocep, Sunj, St. Andrija, Trsteno, Sudjuradj and the like? I was looking at trips to these location rather than the (perhaps) more demanding ones to Mljet due to my physical limitations. These trips certainly have some pretty pictures posted, yet some the islands seem pretty dry and harbors busy. One of the company owners (she lives in Boston) said however they are fairly isolated and not busy. Not sure of the reality.
  • Would love to paddle Mljet, Kornati, or Vis. Looking for the right trip.
  • Would you know how to contact John or Pete? You can connect privately to me by clicking on my name to the left and sending a message.

Thanks againfor the great feedback.

Al

Pete is an NDK sponsored paddler. I'd try to reach him via info at seakayakinguk dot com. John is at john at seacliffkayakers dot com.

The Elafiti tend to be a 'dumping ground' for cruise ship passengers who want to do a 'kayak activity' while their cruise ship is docked in Dubrovnik. I've seen as many as six large cruise ships at anchor between Dubrovnik and Lokrum. The resulting zoo is not to be underestimated.

When are you going? Crowds are at their peak in July and August; September and October are probably the nicest months to kayak, with May a close second. Crowds start to build in June.

Don't have much choice about the dates. Need to dove-trail the kayaking around some hiking with my wife further north at the end of July. We teachers get a lot of vacation time but do not have much flexibility on the dates.

Thanks again,

Al

Al:

You might want to try posting your question on the SMSKN website as a group from Maine spent some time last year kayaking in that area, and I know some have done it prior years as well. I heard they had a great time despite some weather issues. My impression is they just go and travel about as opposed to using a guide service.

Ed Lawson

Oh. Actually, will be in Austria with wife and maybe somewhere else on my own - Dolomites or Switzerland. All too expensive, too crowded this time of year, but neither of us have been to Austria and it was on our bucket list while awaiting time to finish our bigger bucket items.

Actually, Austria is still the only part which is confirmed. Lots of other forces at work.

Thanks for asking,

Al

• 8 months later...