The Lost Art of FInding our way - John Huth

Suz

Jason -

Let me ask around. I think there's an overall size limit for kindle edition and the issue is that there's a bucket-load of figures in there that easily will blow the Kindle limit out of the water. I used all black and white and gray for the figures. I'll get back to you.

John

Jason -

Let me ask around. I think there's an overall size limit for kindle edition and the issue is that there's a bucket-load of figures in there that easily will blow the Kindle limit out of the water. I used all black and white and gray for the figures. I'll get back to you.

John

Seems odd that they would have a limit, I have purchase a number of photography book in kindle form:

ttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LVNDFA/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D4YI0W/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

etc.

They are black and white on my kindle but are in beautiful color on my Ipad.

If the kindle version isn't going to work out I will order the hardcover.

Such a clever title, John. Congratulations!

I usually wait for kindle too these days, to keep from adding to already overstuffed bookshelves. But I'll make an exception here.

BTW, I see third parties are already offering new and used copies for as much as a $50 markup. Makes me realize that a lot of the aftermarket for books is kinda scammy -- amazing when you realize that Amazon lists almost everything available clearly sorted by price.

Jason, David -

I won't know about a Kindle edition for a week or so. I'm trying to get in touch with the person from the Press who organizes this, but she's off at a book even in England. I'll know in a week and get back to you.

I cover a lot of different material from Gooley's and in different ways, too, mostly informed by the students I've been teaching, FWiW

Best,

John H.

Jason, David -

I won't know about a Kindle edition for a week or so. I'm trying to get in touch with the person from the Press who organizes this, but she's off at a book even in England. I'll know in a week and get back to you.

I cover a lot of different material from Gooley's and in different ways, too, mostly informed by the students I've been teaching, FWiW

Best,

John H.

Sounds good. I look forward to getting your book in one form or another!

Best,

John H.

Which is precisely why a copy of yours is on its way to me already. Looking forward to a good read and learning some things!

I got word from my editor. He said that they're working on electronic editions. I think it just takes some time. The "official" release date is some time in May. I guess that Amazon and Barnes and Noble got some advance print editions, so technically it's not yet 'released' even though a bunch of people have copies in their hands. So, stay tuned if you want an electronic version - shouldn't be too long.

The hard cover version arrived here two minutes ago. I urge any of you interested in this book to drop what you're doing and go buy a copy. Don't wait for an electronic version -- you want this one on a shelf. It's an amazing work and the author should take great pride in it.

Just purchased on Amazon. Very timely that I saw this post today! My students are finishing a unit today on why we have seasons and the position of Earth in space. I Just got done showing them my sextant and explaining how it works... :-)

Jason, David -

Best,

John H.

I ordered the print version, as that will be easier to get signed. I am still interested in the kindle version.

Sorry, I'm still waiting on the publisher to get the kindle thing going. They promised, however. Jason - not sure if that's tongue in cheek....I'm still getting the hang of this book publishing thing. I was asked to write a blog piece about a "journey" I had - somewhat related to the book. Here's the result - true story, a bit bizarre even as it was unfolding:

http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2013/05/10/how-we-lose-ourselves/ideas/nexus/

Sorry, I'm still waiting on the publisher to get the kindle thing going. They promised, however. Jason - not sure if that's tongue in cheek....I'm still getting the hang of this book publishing thing. I was asked to write a blog piece about a "journey" I had - somewhat related to the book. Here's the result - true story, a bit bizarre even as it was unfolding:

http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2013/05/10/how-we-lose-ourselves/ideas/nexus/

I now have the book in hard cover. If you have the time this winter and your up for it it, I know that I would love if you would do another weather class followed by a book signing. :-)

I'd be honored to sign it, Jason (or anyone for that matter). It's a bit humbling to be honest.

And, sure I can do another weather class. In my course at Harvard, I give out an assignment where the students are asked to predict tomorrow's weather by looking at signs in the sky - e.g. wind directions, cloud formations, etc. They test this against 'persistence', which is the idea that tomorrow's weather will be like today's. After about three or four days, they get quite good at it. It's actually rather impressive to me how quickly people can pick this up once they start to make observations and force themselves into the prediction-making business.

• 2 months later...

Just in case anyone is interested - it is finally available as a kindle - took the publishers awhile.

Other random tidbits - I'll be giving a talk on this at the MITA 25th in Portland on Aug. 31st. I'll probably spend some time on the tradition of wave piloting in the Marshall islands (a curious subject).

I meandered around the Pacific NW on a couple of book gigs, saw Deception Pass, but it was pretty slow moving. I think the Cobscook Reversing Falls have irretrievably tainted me on reversing falls.

Edited by JohnHuth