More thoughts on Risk/Safety

EEL

Thanks for sharing this. I like the writers blunt approach to the topic, and his experience indicates why. Incidentally, I have been conversing with several members of NSPN about setting up some advanced skills practice sessions where those of us who have worked on our rolls and rescues in calm waters can go out with other experienced paddlers and work on our skills in conditions. I will be searching out areas that will provide waves, currents, and winds for us to work on boat handling, self and assisted rescues, and group management. Maybe you would like to join in some time?

Great article. I live in the White Mtns. full time and I am a paid-call (part time) firefighter/EMT. My squad assists with many "wilderness" rescues (Conway NH - my home town - is the home of SOLO Wilderness Medicine School) and more times than not "knowing when to say no" could have saved a few lives and greatly minimized risks to the "victims" as well as the risks to rescuers and ....prevented many injuries.

In my "past life" in law engorcement I learned to really trust that gut instinct.

Thanks for the post.

I consider practicing rescues in rough water essential. Now, you're going to think me kind of perverse when I say this, but I actually think it's fun. Lord help me.

I was surfing with an experienced guide (Kevin from CRCK), and I tried to stay on a wave too long and popped out. Trying to be helpful, Kevin came over to help me out, but I said, "don't touch me, dang it, I want to work on my reentry and roll!". It was just that it was a perfect situation to try that - breakers coming in, I wasn't injured or anything, and he was there just in case, but I really wanted to see how I would fare.

Incidentally, I have been conversing with several members of NSPN about setting up some advanced skills practice sessions where those of us who have worked on our rolls and rescues in calm waters can go out with other experienced paddlers and work on our skills in conditions. I will be searching out areas that will provide waves, currents, and winds for us to work on boat handling, self and assisted rescues, and group management. Maybe you would like to join in some time?

That definitely sounds like fun!!!!

Saying no does seem like the non- rescue, rescue. Otherwise it could be kind of stated as "you are screwed but we will notify the next of kin for you."

Then again that in itself is a big help when you come right down to it if circumstances are indeed that bad.

>> I actually think it's fun

Except maybe for the bruises. But how else would serious kayakers recognize each other away from their boats except for the bruised legs.

Two seasons ago I managed to break a rib doing a T rescue. Didn't know it at the time but it took about six weeks until I no longer felt pain while paddling.

ouch, Occasionally I wonder if people get into more situations by practicing for situations.

though not kayak specific, years ago one of our friends was drowning a few feet from us as we stood on dry land. We all knew how to swim but our friend did not. We felt somewhat responsible for we had talked him into jumping in.

It took a few seconds for us to realize he really was going to drown. One of our group jumped in the water and saved him, though the rescuer did get pretty banged up from the victim. Still we never wondered if we should try to save him we just gave it our best shot and everybody lived happily ever after. Of course it could have gone the other way and they could have both drowned..but they didn't.

I read now from time to time where the rescued person, proceeds to sue the people who rescued them. Perhaps they got injured in the rescue or it could have been done better using the latest techniques etc. etc

Are we protected from such lawsuits ?

I don't think that anybody is ever protected from a lawsuit. Godd Samaritan laws help protect the rescuer, but just going to court to win you have already lost....

http://masslawlib.blogspot.com/2006/08/good-samaritan-laws.html

Hmph, that brings back memories! In an earlier life I was a lifeguard in NJ. While I was doing a surf rescue of a struggling and choking man, he tried to climb up on me. I pushed him away with my tow buoy and managed to successfully complete the rescue. He later sued me for a tooth that I apparently had broken. Luckily, I was covered by lots of liability insurance through the town that employed me. I don’t know the final result of the lawsuit. But it’s pretty annoying to risk your life to save someone and then be thanked by a lawsuit.

In the heat of the action I doubt that people would seriously stop from assisting someone because they were worried about a lawsuit. I had to administer the Heimlich maneuver to someone at work who was choking to death. I don't think it remotely entered my mind that I'd get sued - you'll find yourself just going into auto-pilot in situations like that, particularly if you've practiced a bunch. (and that's why you practice)