Electronic Nav-aids

gyork

I've an entry-level Garmin gps, stowed in my day hatch, summoned after decidedly lost in the fog, or in preparation of the next geocache search.

Who of you are using electronic nav-aids (gps, smartphone app, etc)? under what circumstances?

gary

I keep a GPS on my deck showing speed, odometer, and elapsed time. I have recorded a track of just about every trip I've ever taken, so I have an electronic log (here is an old, partial, much-shared one from 2009). It's also fun to share a Google Maps track for a given trip in the trip report.

On long open crossings, I occasionally do a find on the far side and switch to the map view to keep a straight line despite currents or crosswinds. I find this to be especially helpful during races as it somehow helps me concentrate better on the task at hand.

Have used during fog as well, of course, but not as the only option.

Lisa

Here’s a practical use for your GPS. Say you want to return to Rye Harbor from the Isles of Shoals. Rye Harbor isn’t visible from the Shoals. No matter how accurate a compass direction you have from the Shoals to Rye Harbor, unless there is no wind or cross-current, you will not be able to paddle straight back. In fact, if it’s dark, you may not even be able to find Rye Harbor.

Although Lisa implicitly implied that a GPS could keep you on a beeline to Rye Harbor (or any waypoint) let me state it explicitly. For every instant of time, the GPS allows you to maintain a perfect ferry angle despite changing tidal flows, wind, current or your paddling speed. This is a function that map, compass, tide tables, chart, computer and your brain would be unable to match when the waypoint is not visible. An entry-level GPS can do what would otherwise require a $100,000 inertial navigator to do.

I've never felt eitherb the hankering or the need to use any of that . Chart and compass has always gotten me there and back again.

Yes,

I've paddled to IoS about a dozen times, w and w/o a GPS. The GPS always got me right to the entrance of the harbor. The compass got me close enough so I could correct my heading when I could see the entrance. They were all bright and sunny days. But in a heavy rainstorm with strong and variable winds I'd much rather use a GPS. In that case you might not even see the harbor.

I've never felt eitherb the hankering or the need to use any of that . Chart and compass has always gotten me there and back again.

Perhaps navigating by GPS should be a backup to a compass because:

1. GPS batteries my run out or the receiver may die.

2. Piloting by compass forces you to be more aware of your surroundings rather than a little LCD screen.

3. Piloting by compass and chart is more fun.

However, for a long trip in open water, where landmarks are not visible, I would rather not take the risk of paddling without a GPS with me, whether I use it or not. Black Swans do happen (more often than you’d expect).

I believe the uses made of GPS and its importance to a given paddler is really a function of what segment of the sport they focus on and for what reasons they paddle.

Since I dislike long crossing (over 4NM), enjoy paying attention to my surroundings, enjoy the task of piloting, and paddle to get "in tune" with myself and the world by removing the filter if not impedimenta of "technology", I don't use a CPS much except to check speed and distance when checking out a boat or training. I recently read an account of a coastal schooner captain who sailed from Boston to Portland, mostly in the fog, without even relying upon a compass and chart. Sights, smells, and sounds guided him. I guess I try to emulate that and find it rewarding. As a very rough and dubious analogy, using a GPS for routine navigation seems to me like the person on vacation who experiences everything through the viewfinder of their camera.

Ed Lawson

Gary,

Like yourself, I tend to enjoy kayak camping particularly if the trip involves new areas where no member of the group has local knowledge. Although I very much enjoy using the compass and chart, I do enjoy confirming my islands to visit with a check of my GPS. I do have detailed nautical charts for eastern US and Canada on my GPS as well as desk top software that allows me to upload the waypoints thereby eliminating any keying errors.

I also find it to be helpful in very thick fog particularly when the crossing involves moving water. Earlier this year we were crossing New Meadows River during a flow tide and a check of the GPS was helpful to confirm our ferry angle calculations.

But even more valuable to me has been my i-Phone (ATT coverage) with apps. This year I frequently discovered the weather forecast was changing within 4 hours. In some cases a radical change. Although the VHF radio that I carry is helpful, I tend to be a visual learner and the apps give me great information to make intellegent decisions during rapidly changing weather patterns. During two trips the weather changed to a small craft advisory and well as to gale warnings. The information at my finger tips is very complete. It also gives me detailed information from tidal and current flow stations.

Warren

Gary,

Earlier this year we were crossing New Meadows River during a flow tide and a check of the GPS was helpful to confirm our ferry angle calculations.

Warren

Just in case you don’t realize how simple it is with the GPS, the GPS doesn’t explicitly compute or provide a ferry angle. Just paddle so that your heading always keeps the arrow (line or whatever) pointing to the top of the display. Then you’re on the correct ferry angle (here I'm assuming that you're using the applicable GPS mode and have any GPS compass turned off).

Nevertheless, it’s a good idea to manually estimate the ferry angle so you don’t become too dependent on the GPS.

- Leon

Is there one GPS that works better for kayaking than the others? ie water proofed, easy to view screen, especially wearing sunglasses, etc

Tough to answer without trying them all - we had a discussion about it back here... Cath mentioned Delorme and I'd check that out if I were in the market for a new one. Just make sure that there is no internal magnetic compass, or if there is, that it can be disabled when kayaking.

I use a Garmin GPSmap (a couple of them, in fact). It is water resistant, but I always keep it in an Aquapac. I think that the constant salt water exposure is just too much for a device like that.

I can usually see it "well enough". There is a "big numbers" feature that gives you any 3 of the many different data fields in large black numbers on the main screen. The map is harder to see, but I can still see it on my deck if I tilt it up a little on a plastic dashboard thingy I have. OK, I can't read the text on the map while underway, but I can see the find pointer, and the track line (if any), so that's the important thing.

I believe the uses made of GPS and its importance to a given paddler is really a function of what segment of the sport they focus on and for what reasons they paddle... using a GPS for routine navigation seems to me like the person on vacation who experiences everything through the viewfinder of their camera

Yes, of course, I agree. There are many trips taken for simple pleasure on which I tote the GPS along but never refer to it. In those cases, it's just nice to have the log for later. But I always take a camera, too, so there's that :-)

-Lisa

Since Warren mentioned cell phones, and it definitely falls under the electronic category, the visual radar display from the Weather Bug app on my iphone saved my butt from a few fast moving thunderstorms this summer. NOAA radio can provide warning, but nothing like watching a angry red/purple blob on the radar bearing down on you to convince you to get off the water.

best

Phil

Phil,

Yes, the radar view is very important to me.

I use two apps:

My Radar Pro, Weather Radar.

Hi-Def Radar.

Although they look similar, I really like the Area Forcast Discussions issued by the regional NWS offices which is part of the Hi-Def Radar app.

By the way, if you paddle the Canadian waters, which I know you do, you have several great apps available.

Warren

I use a Garmin GPSmap (a couple of them, in fact). It is water resistant, but I always keep it in an Aquapac. I think that the constant salt water exposure is just too much for a device like that.

I've had a Garmin GPSMap for years and have carried it on deck many times without a bag, so it's taken a lot of salt water in the face. I know it hasn't seen nearly as much water time as Lisa gives hers, but still the only thing that's gone wrong is that the flimsy battery contacts inside broke off and I am now making do with strips of aluminum foil,

But maybe the older ones are built better -- wouldn't surprise me.

--David

I use my Garmin 60csx to record trip tracks, speed, elapsed time and to be able to track back to the nearest harbor if necessary. One feature is the Mark or MOB (man overboard) which records Lat/Long at current position. Helpful if you're talking to the CG during an emergency.

I use my Garmin 60csx to record trip tracks, speed, elapsed time and to be able to track back to the nearest harbor if necessary. One feature is the Mark or MOB (man overboard) which records Lat/Long at current position. Helpful if you're talking to the CG during an emergency.

Most GPS units of recording your current positions. Holding the enter key on my first Garmin would then ask to create a way point (showing the current position). I have a Garmin 60csx, 76Cx, Emap, Forerunner 305 and a few others I don't recall, they each can record you current position and display it to you in one way or another (quickly) you just need to learn the GPS unit before you need to use a function like that.

I normally keep the GPS in a dry case in my 4th hatch as another layer of backup (moved to may day hatch at night as it messes with my night compass that ends up directly over my 4th hatch).

-Jason

Most GPS units of recording your current positions. Holding the enter key on my first Garmin would then ask to create a way point (showing the current position).

-Jason

Yes, that's exactly how my Garmin Etrex Venture works.

I've never felt either the hankering or the need to use any of that . Chart and compass has always gotten me there and back again.

Though I have never had to rely on one in my years of paddling, my GPS did come in handy one nite paddling in the foggy darkness, only at the end of my 2-mile solo nav back to my campsite, confirming my successful trek.

Agree with Leon's assessment of its utility as an aid to get back to a featureless launch site (IOS) after a long, open crossing. Also serves as a good tool to establish one's "baseline" speed for varying conditions-good info to incorporate when dead reckoning.

With the advent of these electronic gizmos, I suspect that many new paddlers may skip the basic "chart and compass" course, akin to lost hikers with no map, but a cell to call 911. An incredible amount of information can be gleaned from detailed nautical charts, such that, as in orientering, one strives to "stay found", rather than the alternative.

NOAA #13302 seems to be my "book" of choice this time of year.

Happy Solstice!

I don't use it for nav on the water, but have found a simple iPhone app very useful for planning. it's the EarthNC app ($19.99 with free updates).

It has the following map layers: NOAA charts, satellite photos, OpenStreetMaps, USGS topo maps, and shaded topos. It has tidal stations with current times, sunrise/sunset and can display compass, lat/long, etc. The combination of charts, satellite, street maps and topos plus tidal info means you can really check out potential landing or camping sites. I've used it on trips where I can get a signal. Or you can download tiles of the charts and maps and use it where there is no signal.

I'm not likely to use the included nav features such as routes and waypoints because it's too primitive and I'm not likely to have the iPhone on deck while underway. Besides, navigating via GPS is strictly back up for me.

Scott

Like PeterB, I don't use a GPS. I think maybe the best answer is that it's more "fun" to navigate with compass and chart. I did use a GPS at one point, but I had a number of failures - receivers crapping out, batteries dying. I also got a bit concerned that I was becoming overly reliant on them, and then worked in the opposite direction to increasing reliance on natural signs and compasses.

Nothing against GPS users, they're probably wiser than I am, but that's just me. I still have to try Leon's test on my GPS, but that means I have to dig it out and actually try the test.