Shameless self promotion

JohnHuth

I don't know if it's legit to post this, but the gurus of the site can feel free to take it down. My new book is on presale on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Art-Finding-Our/dp/0674072820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353522399&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lost+art+of+finding+our+way

There's some material in the book that I developed as part of the NSPN seminars I gave. A number of techniques I discuss and many of the illustrations are kayak-friendly, and many of you will be familiar with some of the areas I describe and maps (Monomoy, Baker Island, Jonesport).

Huzzah!!

aaaah, perfect Kindle reading while inside the tent on a kayak expedition.

John, I'm hoping we can shamelessly lure you back to do your NSPN seminars now that you are (presumably) home from Europe having solved the riddles of the universe.

• 2 months later...

Phil -

Yeah, I already knew about that. I *just* finished the index and sent it to the publisher.

The book is mainly about cultures of navigation, tides, weather, how to predict stuff, reading the stars, waves etc....not a lot on animal navigation.

Curious one though - the desert ant Cataglyphis - uses polarization of the blue sky to orient, and counts paces.

Some poor grad student had to both clip the legs of the ants, and glue tiny stilts on to ascertain the pace counting. Fun, job.

Here's a PR blurb from Harvard University Press.

For anyone curious about the 'kayaking incident' - it was the famous Aranhoff/Jogoda incident which resulted in the legislation that we've discussed a bunch of times on this website. I don't want to reopen *that* discussion. The only issue was that I was in Nantucket Sound at precisely the same time and within about a quarter of a mile where the girls were paddling when this happened. Incidentally, I was having a great time, not knowing that people were struggling for their lives at the time. I was horrified the next day when I found out.

When you read about something like that in the paper, you might shrug your shoulders, but when it's in close proximity to you, it really is unnerving and I had a bad case of survivor's guilt for about a year. My course in navigation and writing this book was my way of "working off" the emotional debt (as opposed to advocating legislation....)

HUTPRI.pdf

post-100145-0-12146700-1359403562_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...