New Year's Day Paddle?

rfolster

New Year's Day is on a Tueday this year, but since many people have the day off, a couple of us have bounced around the possibility of a paddle. There are no actual plans at this point, but I am just trying to gauge interest.

Obviously, this will be a cold water trip, so appropriate gear is a must. It is also extremely weather-sensitive, so multiple locations may be considered and decided upon within a day or so of the trip in order to maximize optimal weather conditions.

My thoughts are that we need a minimum of six people to go, as any less would limit options for safety. Also, we should stick with protected harbors or shores with good emergency options such as beaches or populated areas. I think this should be a time-duration trip and not destination oriented so that we don't feel any urging to make the destination should conditions make it a challenge.

Please post here if you are interested, and any thoughts you might have for locations and time duration.

While living in South Boston I always thought it would be fun to watch the idiots jump in the water at the L Street Bathhouse from a vantage point on the water. (I say "idiot" in the most endearing way possible, of course.) Although I moved away from there this year, I still think it would be fun. Maybe a larger Boston Harbor trip could involve a detour to see the festivities. Boston Harbor meets your criteria of being protected with multiple emergency bailout options.

I say "idiot" in the most endearing way possible, of course.

Of course - seeing as we will be the "idiots" paddling in the middle of the winter.

I assume boat traffic in Boston Harbor would be minimal to non-existant on New Year's Day. Can you or anyone else confirm?

Hey Paul,

My very first time paddling a kayak was on the Joppa Flats. We launched from the Newburyport tip of Plum Island. It was a great day! Is that where you launch, since it seems to have plenty of parking?

Warren

This should be the 2nd Annual New Years Day Paddle as we had one last year. Temps were around 53.

Interesting.... I did not find any trip posting or report. I think that weather could make it hard to turn this into an annual event, but we can certainly try!

Several years ago and many moons,

Some NSPNers paddled Boston Harba' on New Year's Day and then participated in the brunch buffet at the Bostonian Hotel. The Hotel was notified in advance and were accommodating towards the dry suits and rubber boots. There is a slip to tie your boats in front of the Hotel.

Bob Budd would have more information on this past event.

Some of us went out last New Year's Day in NH - very special day, indeed.

We put in at the CRCK landing (terminus of the ROTC) and went to the pier but were met with hostility by the hotel a few summers ago. One employee was friendly but we were clearly not welcome. We didn't call ahead, maybe that was it. The winter trip was a tradition of a prior regime that has not carried forward and I never participated in, I believe the destination was the Barking Crab and the tale including sloshing into the restaurant as snow/ice melted off the suits and sitting next to well dressed diners. As for the route along the way one can paddle into the Galleria Mall fountain and also paddle up to the "Use of Lethal Force Authorized" signs where the Constitution is often moored. The trip includes going through the locks, no doubt a unique view of downtown Boston.

Also, and relevant to "Sea Ice", on at least one occasion the group returned to the challenge of frozen spray skirts, etc.

Same here. Looking forward to it.

Blaine

Of course - seeing as we will be the "idiots" paddling in the middle of the winter.

I assume boat traffic in Boston Harbor would be minimal to non-existant on New Year's Day. Can you or anyone else confirm?

You tend to see more kayaks on New Years Day in the harbor than big boats.

My first new years day paddle was with BSKC where two people holed boats on the old bridge piers up close to long island:

http://www.kates.org/pictures/Jason/Kayak/BSKC/20050101_Boston_Harbor/

A nice change of pace is the Winnipesaukee:

http://www.mvpclub.org/ (short boats, but we didn't get a lot of water for short boats this year).

I vote for Joppa Flats. One, if it's a cold or windy day, there is more protection from the elements in Plum Island Sound and tributaries. Of course tides and currents become more of a factor than in the open water. Two, I have no idea where the median NSPN population lives geographically but given the early sunset we should want an early start. I live in southern Maine and would not make the trip for Boston Harbor. I'm sure I'm in the minority with this attitude but I think more participants will come if the put-in is "North Shore". Four or five hours on the water should not be dampened by two or more hours of driving each way. JMHO.

Sorry Bill & Doug, but I will have to count surfing out of the options for this trip. I don't think (just an assumption here) that many of the interested are surfers on a good day, let alone in the cold.

Still looking for ideas as I would like to have several options to account for conditions and participant locations.

I was kidding. Not that I wouldn't pick up the occasional wave any time of year.

A nice paddle has always been the New Hampshire coast along the scenic highway. Start at Rye Harbor or Jenness Beach and travel south.