Canon PowerShot D10?

jason

Has anybody use the "Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-Inch LCD"

Amazon has it on sale for $150 for the next ~3 hours. Is it too bulky for kayaking? How's the picture quality and battery life?

I really need to get a kayak camera and this looks like a deal if it's good.

Thanks -Jason

Has anybody use the "Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-Inch LCD"

Amazon has it on sale for $150 for the next ~3 hours. Is it too bulky for kayaking? How's the picture quality and battery life?

Jason:

The following reviews may help. You have to read these things critically as sometimes a camera that is good to use does not appeal to pixel counters.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_d10

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest

I like my W60, but you would need to find that on used market I suppose.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/pentax/optio-w60/pentax-optio-w60-review-5.html

Not that I am a photographer, but most pictures on the water are point and shoot so a camera optimized for that seems to me to be optimal.

Ed Lawson

Jason-

The D10 works OK as a waterproof camera, but it's pretty darn thick compared to others. I'm not sure how it would fit in a PFD pocket. I don't think it does video well or at modern resolutions IIRC. Good luck shopping.

Phil

Jason-

The D10 works OK as a waterproof camera, but it's pretty darn thick compared to others. I'm not sure how it would fit in a PFD pocket. I don't think it does video well or at modern resolutions IIRC. Good luck shopping.

Phil

Thanks for the help, it had a ton of reviews where people had it in 2' of water and it leaked. That and it's size had put me off enough that I didn't order it and it's now back up to to $262.

-Jason

it had a ton of reviews where people had it in 2' of water and it leaked.

Most makers of waterproof cameras indicate somewhere in the manual that regular return to service department for replacement of gaskets is necessary, and regularly checking/cleaning the seals on the battery/card door is very prudent as is rinsing with fresh water. Otherwise they can become throw away items.

Ed Lawson

For kayaking, I would only use a waterproof camera with a retractable lens cover. The only company I am aware of that has one is Olympus. I am on my 3d now as they generally only last me 2 years each. They also stand behind their product. You can save a chunk by not purchasing the newest model or a refurbished one that has a warranty.

Note: Nothing worse than taking a few dozen pics on a paddle to find that most of them have water spots.

Doug

The new Nikon with a built in GPS function looks interesting. $269 on line last time I checked. Kind of putting the "hurt" on the Go Pro units which are considerably more expensive. Technology marches on!

Tom

I really need to get a kayak camera ........

Thanks -Jason

Jason, I'm still enamored with my Pentax Optio W10. Don't know what the latest iteration is, but it has been rock solid for the past 5 years. On a lanyard, it tucks neatly into my PFD for quick access.

A little rain-x on the lens avoids the water spots Doug mentions. I'll send you a link to several of my kayaking photo albums if you like.

Jason, I'm still enamored with my Pentax Optio W10. Don't know what the latest iteration is, but it has been rock solid for the past 5 years. On a lanyard, it tucks neatly into my PFD for quick access.

A little rain-x on the lens avoids the water spots Doug mentions. I'll send you a link to several of my kayaking photo albums if you like.

Gary - what rain-x product do you use? I looked on the website and they have a bunch of different things. Could you be more specific?

Thanks - prudence

I like my Canon D10 -- good quality images and decent LCD. Yes, a bit thick, but it still goes in my stretchy-top PFD pocket. But to tell the truth, I haven't yet submerged it much, so it may still show leakage later.

I've had the D10 since last year and have no issues with it. I've had it in pools doing underwater shots and used on the ocean. I also soak it in water after ocean use for a long time. No leaks and it feels sturdy, but some people can ruin any product so the people with leaks in 2" of water probably have no concept of when the covers aren't secure. Video resolution is basic with no HD. Images are nice but the edges are a bit blurry, probably due to the outer glass. I just frame shots expecting to crop that out. Dark night shots for timed exposure for stars and stuff isn't good, at least with the preset mode for that. I wouldn't think the overall image quality is worse than anything else out there unless new models have come out, and the reviews at the time had it in the top few. I've seen a lot of shots posted from other waterproof cams and their images can be so overly noise corrected they look painted (is that the camera firmware or their post editing software?) I've not really had that with the D10.

The LCD can go very bright for sunny day use so you will not have an issue using it on the water. Menus are quick and easy. Battery life is no issue but I also got a generic brand spare battery. I can fit it in my Ronin pocket without a problem and I don't mind having something substantial to hold when taking pictures. Thinner would be nice but it hasn't been an issue. I've not had an issue regarding having no cover. If the outer glass gets dried salt on it I just rinse with drinking water. There is a coating that keeps it pretty bead-free anyway. I've not had water spot issues as I can see if there is water on the glass before taking shots. I do have that problem with my helmet video though.

I can't tell you this is the best one to get but with the exception of the video limitations you won't have a reason to regret having the D10, especially if found for around $200 or less. You likely won't find another camera in its class made in Japan either. That's a huge plus.

I've had the D10 since last year and have no issues with it. I've had it in pools doing underwater shots and used on the ocean. I also soak it in water after ocean use for a long time. No leaks and it feels sturdy, but some people can ruin any product so the people with leaks in 2" of water probably have no concept of when the covers aren't secure. Video resolution is basic with no HD. Images are nice but the edges are a bit blurry, probably due to the outer glass. I just frame shots expecting to crop that out. Dark night shots for timed exposure for stars and stuff isn't good, at least with the preset mode for that. I wouldn't think the overall image quality is worse than anything else out there unless new models have come out, and the reviews at the time had it in the top few. I've seen a lot of shots posted from other waterproof cams and their images can be so overly noise corrected they look painted (is that the camera firmware or their post editing software?) I've not really had that with the D10.

The LCD can go very bright for sunny day use so you will not have an issue using it on the water. Menus are quick and easy. Battery life is no issue but I also got a generic brand spare battery. I can fit it in my Ronin pocket without a problem and I don't mind having something substantial to hold when taking pictures. Thinner would be nice but it hasn't been an issue. I've not had an issue regarding having no cover. If the outer glass gets dried salt on it I just rinse with drinking water. There is a coating that keeps it pretty bead-free anyway. I've not had water spot issues as I can see if there is water on the glass before taking shots. I do have that problem with my helmet video though.

I can't tell you this is the best one to get but with the exception of the video limitations you won't have a reason to regret having the D10, especially if found for around $200 or less. You likely won't find another camera in its class made in Japan either. That's a huge plus.

So here is my 2 cents. I have a Pentax W60, it is about 2 years old. One of the reasons I choose this camera is that it did not have a closing lens cover. When compared to the Olympus from turn on to first shot it is twice as fast (it doesn't have a cover to open). As to the gasket issue, when I am not using the camera I leave the battery door open to allow the gasket to expand to its normal shape. I do this with all of my water proof boxes, etc. I would also recommend at least a 5x zoom which is the equivalent to about a 120 mm lens in the 35mm world.

...when I am not using the camera I leave the battery door open to allow the gasket to expand to its normal shape...

That's a great idea. I do that for dry boxes too, never thought of it for a camera. In addition, it would be pretty easy to store the camera in a plastic container, with the battery compartment open, along with some silica packs (which come with new shoes). That might reduce the moisture that can get into the body of the camera on muggy days and cause fogging. It would also protect the open battery cover from getting knocked around.

-Lisa

Up to date review of 4 of the current contenders:

http://gizmodo.com/5916329/the-best-waterproof-rugged-digital-cameras

I'm a fan of the panasonics, but that's just me. Simple, fast to start, no lens covers to jam with sand. That said, I'm on my third, with the first two corroding and pitting at various places. May be due to stuffing it in and out of a PFD pocket crammed with other things.

Phil

hmm the Olympus opens up to 2.0 that is a huge plus in my book although with the wide angles of these cameras the effect will be diminished. Is it possible that the Olympus takes bad video or could there be some operator error involved ?

It is interesting how different our tastes and requirements are. My ideal kayaking camera would have a waterproof wireless remote shutter (wrist band?) that I could hold/access while I am paddling. The camera would come with lowest profile suction cup mount available and could also be attached to my shoulder or chest. :-).

I'm using the T2 iteration of the Panasonic (2 years now), for both skiing and kayaking, as well as occasionally taking it along just because it's small and handy. The video is excellent (compared to the old Optio I had) (and double excellent compared to GoPro which is always so distorted). I absolutely love that the video can be shot by pressing a button on the back, rather than drilling into a menu or turning a dial to change the mode. I can switch from photo to video in a mere moment and without having to find my glasses to read small print.

Photos in good light are crisp and clear (Leica lens!). I agree with the review Phil posted, that color tends a bit toward the blue - I color-correct on the desktop. Unlike the review, I find that the battery charge lasts just forever.

Also, a silicone jacket for the camera is included, which I find to be very helpful in gripping it well, in cushioning it from drops, and possibly in protecting the metal from salt water.

One thing to note: if you want to edit/upload video to fb or youtube, you will need to convert it from AVCHD to some other more-usual format (unless that's been changed in newer models). I found several freebie programs that will do this.

NK

I'll speak for the husband as he has a Panasonic Lumix T1 which has been repaired once in the 3 or 4 years he's had it. Great, sharp pictures, and the camera is easy to use. It takes great video, too. He's also a real bug about rinsing it off after use, although we do know from talking with others that sometimes no matter how careful you are with your equipment, Mother Ocean's salt can get the best of it.

We also have an old Canon Powershot that must be going on 7 or 8 years. Another great camera which, unfortunately can only be used on the water with a large and cumbersome plastic housing. The husband usually takes that one with him when he travels.

While I was always a big Pentax fan, I cannot recommend the Pentax OptioW60, which has one of the worst setups for battery removal, despite a silicon case and careful rinsing after use; takes crap, blurry pictures, and isn't worth the money. I'm waiting for it to die so I can get a waterproof Nikon, the price of which is slowly dropping as it creeps yet towards another iteration, when, of course, the price, like the moon and the sun, will rise again.

Deb M

hmm the Olympus opens up to 2.0 that is a huge plus in my book although with the wide angles of these cameras the effect will be diminished. Is it possible that the Olympus takes bad video or could there be some operator error involved ?

It is interesting how different our tastes and requirements are. My ideal kayaking camera would have a waterproof wireless remote shutter (wrist band?) that I could hold/access while I am paddling. The camera would come with lowest profile suction cup mount available and could also be attached to my shoulder or chest. :-).

GoPro just came out with a remote control back and waterproof remote. If you have the latest camera version, it will wirelessly transfer your photos to iOS or Android devices IIRC. Only problem, as Kate indicated, is the extreme wide angle view.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Along with my love for human powered watercraft I have been an avid

"photog" for years. I have spent multiple thousands on dedicated photographic gear in my life. However, after observing the technological progression racing along I tonight ordered a Lifeproof waterproof housing for the I Phone 4S. Taking that once in a lifetime pic of your paddle buddy dumping and posting it instantly to the internet has to rank high on the instant gratification index!LOL

Tom

I've seen a lot of shots posted from other waterproof cams and their images can be so overly noise corrected they look painted (is that the camera firmware or their post editing software?) I've not really had that with the D10.

Jeff,

I have come across this "painted" effect as well. I figure it is directly related to having the camera set to action shots and as the light dissipates overhead, the cameras digital aperture is not open enough and the shutter speed is too fast. With my eyesight not what it once was, changing settings while paddling is not that easy for me so I live with these "painted" images. I kind of like these artificial results from time to time. Sort of an artistic view. See example below of where this works from a picture I took in the rain at Squam Lake.

post-100651-0-58534200-1340199990_thumb.

Jeff,

The photo Doug posted is typical of high-ISO noise reduction done in camera. Is that what you're experiencing? Noise reduction is for the most part a selective blurring filter applied to the image. While noise reduction can be done in camera, post processing software will do a much better job of it. Also, once it's done in camera it can't be reversed.

I haven't personally experienced the effect with my cameras other than at full sized view I can see the trees are a bit lacking of detail and have a similar effect with the D10 some times. I was just mentioning that some cameras might have poor internal software so that people might dig for serious reviews where someone has done various types of shots to test it out. I prefer to post-process myself, and have been very happy with Lightroom. I had version 3 for a year and a half, and 4 is out with a price that can't be resisted so I upgraded. It now lets you paint areas to apply sharpening and noise reduction (or greater amounts than you want to apply to the entire photo) as well as the gradient tool. Each is great at cleaning up the artifacts in the sky and clouds without ruining the rest of the shot. I will mention that the D10 does not provide TIFF let alone RAW, so you have to work with a lossy format from the start. But for a waterproof cam I'm happy with it. It's quick to change modes too. The OSD has large images so easy to read, and it has a very bright LCD for sunny days. I'm not recommending it, but I don't think anyone would be unhappy with it. I've not used any other waterproof camera other than for video (VIO POV HD). I don't take stills with that but I'll export interesting frames. Not nearly as good as a camera but at 30fps you can grab a lot of action to sift through, and at times you wouldn't be taking photos with any camera because you are very busy with conditions or trying to keep pace with your subject.