L2 paddling next weekend....

please see the posting on the trips board regarding next weekends L2 and beyond series of paddles.

there by all account a great hew and cry for an introduction L2 paddle to be held and to mentor folks up to and beyond L2...but thus relatively far few folks have signed up. certainly makes me question the necessity of running this again and again.

if you are interested in the the sessions, please post interest on the trips message board directly or PM me.

thanks very much.

Rick,

A bunch of us are hosting the annual New to Sea Kayaking Workshop this coming Saturday. The response has been overwhelming. Rather than the usual 20 or so signed up, we've had over 80 RSVPs and had to cap participants at 73, with the rest on the waiting list. If we do a good job at the workshop, we can expect to see a demographic bubble in the club of L1-L2 paddlers eager to become L2's and L3's. I expect you'll be busy in the coming few months.

Blaine

Hi Rick,

Given the water temperature and clothing requirements, I would be surprised if there are many takers at this point. Seems like late May - June is a good time for many of these paddlers to start.

I am confused. When I look at 4/21 on the CALENDAR, I see a mentor training paddle, not an L2 to L3 trip? In fact, I don't see any Dev L2 to L3 paddles on the Calendar at all. I am probably missing something :)

I do see "4/21 Sat Dev L2 paddlers to L3 Goat Island launch Rick Stoehrer" in your posting "Trip & Event Schedule Master" and the actual trip posting in the Trips Message Board.

We plan to announce a series of the Dev L2 to L3 at the workshop Saturday.

Al

I am confused. When I look at 4/21 on the CALENDAR, I see a mentor training paddle, not an L2 to L3 trip? In fact, I don't see any Dev L2 to L3 paddles on the Calendar at all.

Now I am confused, well more confused than normal. Is there something or a series of events called Dev L2 to L3 in addition to the classes Rick offered to conduct?

We plan to announce a series of the Dev L2 to L3 at the workshop Saturday.

Are there descriptions and dates for these? When will they appear on the calendar?

If the club has organized a series of paddles to provide folks an opportunity to expand experiences from L2 to L3 environments, that is great for many reasons. And I will not need to plan trips to augment Rick's classes as I had originally volunteered to do.

Maybe this discussion should be in a different section?

Ed Lawson

Given the water temperature and clothing requirements, I would be surprised if there are many takers at this point. Seems like late May - June is a good time for many of these paddlers to start.

I see harbor water temp of 48F -- that's absolutely drysuit territory. Or, as Scott C once said to leader trainees when temps were similar (in early May) -- you can wear a wet suit if that's what you've got and you'll be uncomfortable, but you won't die. Not a situation to attract L2 paddlers, new or experienced.

I agree with Al -- June is going to be glorious -- let's start getting those L2 and L2-to-L3 trips up there now for June or even late May, and by the end of the season, we'll have a super cadre of experienced paddlers.