Kayak Camping Workshop, Postponed

PeterB

This workshop has been Postponed

Please come to the 2012 Kayak Camping Workshop .

This years workshop will be special as it will include a slide show travelogue by Kate Hartland, featuring some favorite campsites and locations. Kates photos and trip reports have been an NSPN favorite over the past few years.

This workshop will cover the basics of kayak camping: trip planning and selection, gear to bring (ranging from essential to recommended to optional), loading your boat, cooking equipment and camping recipes.

We will have a loaded boat or two to demonstrate packing and unpacking, we'll talk about camp kitchen and recipes, and maybe even cook up a morsel or two.

We'll also review how to "leave no trace" while camping.

This will be an especially worthwhile evening for those planning to do some kayak camping for the first time.

It will also be great for people with camping experience, even hard core veterans, as part of the fun is is when people share their personal ideas, favorite bits of gear, recipes, anecdotes etc.

One of the fun things about this workshop is Show & Tell. If you have a favorite piece of camping gear or a personal secret or recipe, bring it along!

Gould Barn

1 Howlett St.

Topsfield, MA 01983

Hey Peter and Kate, thank you both for organizing this workshop! I will plan to be there. Perhaps I will also bring one of my favorite receipes as well.

Kate, I would also value your "lessons learned" on any special safety measures you consider when paddling solo. Especially when you paddle solo in a new area for the first time.

Warren

Cathy,

Although in the body of the posting it does reference June. The title mentions April 12 which matches with the posting on the NSPN Calendar. I would go with April 12. Hope to see you there.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

The kayak camping workshop has been postponed until further notice..

Only a few people responded , and a couple of the presenters cannot make it on the scheduled date.

This is a great workshop and a sort of traditional event for NSPN. , so we'll try to reschedule his workshop in the next month or two. It is difficult to find a weekend date in May or June that has no conflicts, especially with paddling.

We got some negative feedback about having a workshop on a weeknight, so Id like to hear ideas of when most people would prefer a workshop such as this to happen. We've had it on weeknights a couple of times in the past with success.

Hope to see you soon.

How about combining it with the already scheduled New To Kayaking Workshop ?

Rene,

The New to Kayaking workshop has 65 to 70 people signed up, and a full program. Adding kayak camping to that program could

create a cluster_______ of epic proportions! Also, kayak camping attracts a lot of paddler with enough kayak experience, gear etc. to be ready for camping, while the new to kayaking workshop is meant for people ... new to kayaking, mostly people who aren't (yet) members of NSPN. Different 'markets" in short. But the kayaking camping workshop will be, of course, welcome to the workshop so 'm hoping to reschedule.

A weeknight would definitely be the easiest to schedule; Gould Barn will more likely be available, and fewer conflicts. We just need to see if people are game for a workshop on a weeknight and if not, what weekend date would be an alternative.

Hi Peter,

:blush: Duly Noted! :blush:

My self I would love to do this a Sat night. Lots of great places to paddle in the area. Post paddle we could all show up for the camping workshop, hopefully Kate could talk about her latest trip (hopefully with the pictures presented in the background). We could all grab Pizza's or something from a nearby establishment and this could be the PPO.

For me doing it during the week isn't very easy as it would take me ~2 hours to make it to the Barn (way too much stop & go stress). Doing this after a paddle would be great. public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

My self I would love to do this a Sat night. Lots of great places to paddle in the area. Post paddle we could all show up for the camping workshop, hopefully Kate could talk about her latest trip (hopefully with the pictures presented in the background). We could all grab Pizza's or something from a nearby establishment and this could be the PPO.

For me doing it during the week isn't very easy as it would take me ~2 hours to make it to the Barn (way too much stop & go stress). Doing this after a paddle would be great. public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Thats a good idea, Jason. Kind of addresses the issues of scheduling on a weekend, . June 9nd and 16th (night before Fathers Day ) look open at this time:

Peter and Kate,

Both June 9 and June 16 are fine for me. Thank you for attempting a reschedule! Yes Kate, I as well would really like to see your photos and perhaps a recipe or two.

Another idea might be an "On Water Kayak Camping Workshop" where campers are taken out for a one or two night camping trip to implement all the great ideas learned during the on land workshop. Just a thought from a kayak camping addict.

Warren

Am I the only one that's a little lost here as far as what is happening, when it's happening and where it's happening?

David:

what's happening is that a kayak camping workshop scheduled for Thursday April 12 was postponed and now there's a discussion about rescheduling it, possibly on Saturday evening June 9th or June 16th.

:th_thCampingSmiley:

Kate,

As a former backpacker now paying for it with bad knees, I can't wait to hit the "trail" again. Your exquisite photos have rekindled my fire, so to speak. Thirty-five years ago I led a six week cycling trip through the Canadian Maritimes for learning disabled teens and we toured both Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I fell in love with both, but was awestruck by Newfoundland. Now I want to return, this time by kayak. I'm very much looking forward to learning from you. I'll definitely attend this workshop if it's scheduled for 6/9 but may not be able to make 6/16.

Blaine

Kate,

As a former backpacker now paying for it with bad knees, I can't wait to hit the "trail" again. Your exquisite photos have rekindled my fire, so to speak. Thirty-five years ago I led a six week cycling trip through the Canadian Maritimes for learning disabled teens and we toured both Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I fell in love with both, but was awestruck by Newfoundland. Now I want to return, this time by kayak. I'm very much looking forward to learning from you. I'll definitely attend this workshop if it's scheduled for 6/9 but may not be able to make 6/16.

Blaine

Blaine, I feel the same way about Newfoundland. Really the ultimate northeast kayak destination. Let's hope 6/9 will work for everyone.

Kate