Great Wass

Lbeale

Hey,

I am in the process of planning a 3-4 day camping trip to the Great Wass this August (2nd or 3rd week). Peter and I paddled through those parts a couple of years ago and have been itching to paddle that area again.

Has anyone camped at the Jonesport Campground? Has anyone camped on Little Water? What are some other camping options for that area?

If you have been camping in that area, can you give me some pointers or some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Les

I have camped on Little Water. It's really just a big rock with one small tree and some flowers. If the weather is calm and mild, it's a beautiful place to camp. If the weather's bad I'd pick another spot.

I have two trip reports online for that area, found here:

http://cathyhartland.com/photo/reports.htm

There are photos of Little Water, as well as other places we camped in the vicinity.

Kate

Don't recall if we stayed at the Jonesport campground but I know we left our cars there for the trip two years ago. We camped at Halifax and ___ Islands. Day paddled to Cross and others. Have you seen the Brothers? Worth the trip...

Found it more interesting north of Great Wass. Check the MITA book for the latest. Hope to get up near there this year myself.

Edited by jason
Remove ref to the wrong MITA Private island. Corrected

The campground at Jonesport is low rent, but you can put down a tent and park, which is pretty much all you need. The campground entrance wasn't terribly well marked when I was there, so it's easy to miss it. Jonesport itself is a bit of an odd place - you'll see that when you paddle down Moosabec Reach.

The Gulf-facing cliff on Great Waas is a sight to behold - swells just reflect off it.

I don't have my MITA guide with me, but I believe the Island I camped at was called Stevens - there are a couple of sites there and it's pleasant. I've heard Little Water is nearly awash at high tide - one big storm and it would be dicey.

I also got permission to camp at Bois Bubert. If you have 3-4 days, you might want to think about hitting Petit Manaan - it's a got a population of puffins and is really quite something. The coast from Jonesport over to Bois Bubert is interesting, too - lots of rock gardens and interesting islands.

It *can* get rather fog-bound at times, so be prepared for that.

Hi,

Are we supposed to be keeping the names of the MITA islands confidential ~ not mentioning them in public posts??

I finally understand the rules about talking about MITA islands from asking this question a number of times myself:

Public islands can be named.

Private islands can't.

The MITA guide makes clear which is which.

pru

My recollection of staying at the Jonesport campground is that it was in a good location, except for that fact that we got woken up VERY early by the lobster boats next door starting up their engines – LOUD! Was there only one night, years ago, so don't know if that was the exception or the rule ...

Oh, I rather think that is the rule.

Ed Lawson

When I camped in the middle of the Great Wass, before dawn there was a procession of fishing boats moving past our little island . Their cabin lights were on: so in the dark there was a procession of lights slowly chug-chugging through the archipelago and out to sea . Very Fellini-esque.

I'll be posting a trip to Great Wass , around that same time.

<I'll posting a trip to Grest Wass , around that same time>

Oh, good-ee! It's high time I took some time off and went camping again: I've almost forgotten what my tents look like...thanks, Peter Bee. (And I'va always wanted to go "down east") ;^)

I finally understand the rules about talking about MITA islands from asking this question a number of times myself:

Public islands can be named.

Private islands can't.

The MITA guide makes clear which is which.

pru

Learn something new every day......

I have camped on Little Water. It's really just a big rock with one small tree and some flowers. If the weather is calm and mild, it's a beautiful place to camp. If the weather's bad I'd pick another spot.

I have two trip reports online for that area, found here:

http://cathyhartland.com/photo/reports.htm

There are photos of Little Water, as well as other places we camped in the vicinity.

Kate

Kate,

My wife hails from NovaScotia and over the years we have spent a lot of good times there with her

Arcadian cousins, all commercial fishermen. The scenes in your photo story book and video are so very familiar. This coming summer we (Helen and I) plan to do some day touring in the Cape Breton area. Thought about taking our boats, but have decided to find an outfitter. Any suggestions?

Again, I really enjoy your presentation,

Tom

Whoops! - I honestly don't know which are private or public as I'm now in Geneva and don't have my MITA guide. Apologies. To clarify on Bois Bubert - I believe you both have to be a MITA member, AND get permission from one of the conservancy groups, I forget which one.

Kate,

My wife hails from NovaScotia and over the years we have spent a lot of good times there with her

Arcadian cousins, all commercial fishermen. The scenes in your photo story book and video are so very familiar. This coming summer we (Helen and I) plan to do some day touring in the Cape Breton area. Thought about taking our boats, but have decided to find an outfitter. Any suggestions?

Again, I really enjoy your presentation,

Tom

Tom, without hesitation I suggest Scott Cunningham:

http://www.coastaladventures.com/

He wrote the guidebook for the area and is the local expert on the coastline.