Quebec Kayak Manufacturer, Boréal Design Files for Bankruptcy

Doug

Quebec Kayak Manufacturer, Boréal Design Files for Bankruptcy

From La Presse.ca:

Big news from the outdoor industry.

I just heard the sad news from Joe O'Blenis and Bryan Hansel that Quebec kayak manufacturer, Boréal Design has closed its doors and will be filing for bankruptcy on Monday.

Director of the shop, Frédéric Patry said that attempts by the company management to find new investors were unsuccessful. Forty-five people lost their jobs.

Realistic, Frédéric Patry nevertheless retains a slim hope that a takeover could save the brand.

It’s a shame to hear about them go under. Boréal made fantastic boats and their construction and craftsmanship was second to none for sure. Over the 20 years in business, Boréal expended their company by purchasing accessory company, Beluga. They also developed a fantastic partnership with Maelströmkayak to manufacture and distribute their high-end sea kayaks.

From a business perspective, their product lines were appealing to paddling shops as they were able to offer both boats and accessories for the entire spectrum of paddling; from absolute beginner on a slim budget all the up to the highest end.

I have no idea of how the bankruptcy of Boréal will affect Maelströmkayak as they are a separate company with a factory to build their boats. I reached out to them for comment but haven’t received a response yet. I will update this post if I hear back.

Update [Feb 4, 2012]: I receved an email from Charles-Alexandre Desjardins one of the owners of Maelströmkayak. He said, "We learned about it the same way you did, which is unfortunate. That's about all I can say for now. Maelströmkayak is still very alive and we intend to continue our business."

That is a shocker we have been Boreal Design enthusiasts for several years now (we have 3 of their boats).

They are very popular in Quebec, esp with kayak outfitters.

Great name recognition up there also..many a time people would recognize the boats...even the custom folks when crossing the border.

They had a nice web site also wonder if that is still up and running.

That is a shocker we have been Boreal Design enthusiasts for several years now (we have 3 of their boats).

They are very popular in Quebec, esp with kayak outfitters.

Great name recognition up there also..many a time people would recognize the boats...even the custom folks when crossing the border.

They had a nice web site also wonder if that is still up and running.

my first boat was a BD Narwhal. Saw all manner of critters and fish late in the day and early in the morning along the shores of different lakes and ponds down on the south shore. she was piggy slow (of course my stroke was a TAD different that long ago - maybe it wasn't all her) and woulda been smashed to itty bitty pieces years ago had i kept her but she was light and reassuring to this noob and got me hooked on the water and little boats.

you never know though...maybe restructure and pop back up if there's still a demand for the brand they built. best wishes to them and the dealers.

Sad news indeed. I used to paddle an Ellesmere which while an older design was one of the faster hulls ever designed. Little primary which made it an active and fun boat to paddle and a very strong secondary which ensured confidence. It was always a little too large volume wise for me but I think fondly of the boat and frequently wished I had kept it.