hard shell golf case for flying with paddles?

Phil Allen

Folks-

Anybody had any issues using one of the hardshelled golf cases to transport their paddles while flying. Airlines specify that it can only contain golf clubs, but will they actually check?

Thanks.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I used one for getting my paddles to Bali and Hawaii -- no problem--but maybe, the airlines has changed their tune. I know that Karen used hers for paddles when we went to Mexico last year and, she had no problem.

Les

You might get charged for oversize baggage. If all you put in it is carbon paddles and a bit of nylon outerwear and such, it may not be overweight. But if you try to include a full set of gear, it may get so heavy that it will cost you quite a bit extra.

Also, just for the record, Karen's case is not hard shell -- it's soft-sided, perhaps with a hard bottom section (if I recall correctly). We used it, but wrapped the paddle blades in slightly inflated cushions, paddle jackets and nylon straps to hold it all tight. They came through fine.

--David

Hello Phil,

If you really care about your paddle you will carry it with you on the plane.

This is the smart (and recommended) approach when you don’t want your important gear to get damaged, lost or delayed in transit to your destination. It applies to all kind of travel, not only kayaking.

Let’s take alpine skiing as an example.

If you check-in all your skiing equipment (besides your skis) and it gets lost, or delayed what do you do when you get to The Rockies or the Alps? You have to rent stinky ski boots (that will never feel right), rent used clothing, gloves, goggles, etc. “Yuk!” (This was you grimacing).

Or, you can spend a few thousand dollars in the local resort ski shop and buy all new, but your choice will be limited and you will be making compromises just to get by for 2 weeks. “Ouch!” (This was your pocket talking).

On the other hand, you can rent decent skis (after you request a good sharpening and a wax) and be happy. The pair of skis might be even better than yours (the ones that did not show up on the carousel).

The difference here is that you can not easily and promptly replace on the spot your customized and well fitting ski gear. Your ski boots are, in a sense, more important for your skiing then the skis itself. Much in that same way that it’s said that your paddle is more important than your kayak.

The one time I checked-in my ski boots and the rest of my ski gear, everything not only arrived 3 days later, but my ski boots showed up with a broken buckle.

Phil, apply all this to kayaking and you are golden!

Now the question –can you take a 2-piece paddle as a carry-on luggage? Sure you can. Even though I haven’t done it myself, I have carried a carbon fiber photographic tripod (with a metal ball-head attached) all over the world.

I carry it in a soft padded tripod bag which I put in the overhead compartments behind the rest of the carry-on suitcases, bags, chicken cages and the like (largely dependent on the destination). The tripod bag is of such a low profile that it barely takes any space.

A 210cm two-part “big spoon” (“Ikelos”) paddle is about the same length as my tripod bag. The handle part is much thinner and the blade section is bout 2 inches wider –a barely perceptible difference overall.

I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be able to take it aboard the plane.

I have taken my tripod (in a bag) plus the appropriate size carry-on luggage (with my photo gear inside, of course) using numerous carriers with success. Everything passes through the X-Ray, no questions asked. The tripod does not even count as a carry-on. So, Phil, you can still carry your backpack (with the all important kayaking gear) and your purse. Sorry, you have to check-in the I-pad/laptop briefcase, dude.

Part of your pre-trip homework should include answering the following 2 questions:

1. Is this particular piece of gear that I want to bring allowed by this airline carrier(s), or not (think flares, stove fuel, etc)?

2. Is any particular gear that I care about (read crucial) replaceable (easily or at all) once I get to my (hopefully) exotic remote destination?

After answering these 2 questions you would know what to do.

And remember, why would you need to protect the paddles in a heavy (read extra fee) hard-shell golf bag, when you can protect them naked (no padding) even better (and in person) in the airplane’s overhead bin.

Phil, have a great and safe trip and please don’t tell us where you are going (until you came back, in the true NSPN style), so that you don’t jinks it, or we don’t start begging you to come along, or something like that!

Greetings,

Konstantin

Way back when, I would travel with my paddles on the plane in a carry on - at the time they were 4 piece Lendals. That was disallowed awhile back and now even 4 piece splits are not allowed, never mind a 2 piece Ikelos. The airlines made a rule about paddles and disallow them under the section where sports equipment can not be carried on. Doesn't matter that they allow camera equipment or music equipment or even a skateboard... they say that paddles are not allowed. The problem with "checking" is that it isn't the airline the prohibits, it is the TSA so after you have checked your bags and then go through security, if it is disallowed, you will need to give the paddles to someone else or alternatively, check them in with the airline but then they are in some sort of carry on and could easily get broken.

It would be great if Konnie has the opportunity to try traveling with paddles as a carry on for his next business trip and then reports back and lets us all know how it works out.

I travel with a big duffel but the paddles are not as protected and the duffel is just big enough to carry paddles but makes it awkward to pack around them as they need to be crosswise. If I use a larger duffel, it becomes too easy to overpack it and it is charged extra for being heavy. I have used the "snowtubes" which are made for ski's. Mine is a skinnier one and I can fit only one set of paddles. It seems wasteful to count that as one bag as nothing else can fit.

I vote for the golf bag as that is what others who travel a lot tend to use.

I traveled to Alaska, Mexico, and Chile with my paddles carefully wrapped in a regular duffel bag, never had a problem. Both a 4 piece Lendal and a 2 piece Werner were fine, I used clothing and maybe a foam pad or two to wrap them up, and positioned carefully amongst my other stuff.

John M

Just traveled to Europe using soft golf bag. ("Club Glove") Packed all paddling gear inside along with two sets of paddles. Weighed less than 50 lbs and no excess baggage charges.

It is over sized but that just meant taking it to the over sized baggage drop at departure and picking up from similar area on arrival. No problems, no damage and very handy way to travel. Would recommend this particular brand of case as it is really well built; previous cheap model came apart during travel.

Having a wheeled bag is the only way to go. I placed a single piece of 1" minicell foam in the bottom of it for the ends of the shafts to rest on and placed my helmet over the 4 blade ends. The top of the bag is already well padded to protect those precious club heads so all was safe and sound. No damage at all. The bag also stands up on end by its self.

Although over size by measurements, I don't believe that most airlines charge extra to take golf clubs. Nobody ever asked me what was inside.

Hope that's helpful, Jon

Folks-

Anybody had any issues using one of the hardshelled golf cases to transport their paddles while flying. Airlines specify that it can only contain golf clubs, but will they actually check?

Thanks.

Phil

i have no experience with golf bags (a good walk ruined) have you seen those NRS bags that work just like backpacks with the shoulder straps, waist belts? makes hauling around a LOT of kit pretty easy. 4 piece lendals are great - put the blades inside the pfd for paddling and then all the other kit around. Put the street clothes in small dry bags and your pretty well suited up.

where you going?

I agree that a golf bag is the way to go. Last year I traveled to the west coast with kayak gear in a large duffel, and it looked to me like fellow paddlers who traveled with golf bags had an easier time than I did . The wheels on the bottom are excellent, and airlines seem to be used to dealing with golf bags.