latex booties

spuglisi

latex socks are better than latex gaskets. They are not as difficult to get on/off. You will most likely need to size up on your shoes. Your feet will sweat but you can wear wool socks and they won't be terribly uncomfortable. Your feet will be warmer than with gaskets.

You can 303 them regularly and they will last longer (every 4-6 weeks).

With latex socks sometimes it can be hard to pull a neoprene booty on. If this happens get a lycra sock to put over the latex sock(most dive shop).

The simple solution is the same as for neck and wrist seals: talc

Powder the booties inside and out and you'll have no trouble getting into them or getting them into your footwear.

I agree that ANY booties are better than ankle seals. Latex booties will typically outlast neck and wrist seals because they're not exposed to UV, sunscreen, etc. Just don't walk around in them.

Time to get my drysuit re-gasketed. I can get either ankle gaskets or latex booties. Has anyone had experience...either positive or negative...with the latex booties?

If it is a Kokatat suit, you also have the option of sending it back to Kokatat to have GoreTex booties added. Adding GoreTex booties costs a little more than latex booties, but they are also expected to last longer.

I had latex socks on my drysuit but I had them replaced with Goretex socks. I prefer the Goretex, the latex were always a bit tight on my extra large feet. The Goretex are also easier to take on and off and easiest to wear boots over. The Goretex are more durable, but always wear a shoe/bootie over them.

As others have said, latex socks are better than ankle gaskets but Goretex socks are better than latex.

If you can go with the Goretex do it, it's worth the extra $

I knew that Sal's suit was not a Kokatat and therefore I didn't mention the option of Gore-Tex socks as those are only installed on a Kokatat Gore-tex suit.

Sal might be able to check with the repair people out west (whose name escapes me) to see if they have any fabric socks they could install.

I knew that Sal's suit was not a Kokatat and therefore I didn't mention the option of Gore-Tex socks as those are only installed on a Kokatat Gore-tex suit.

Sal might be able to check with the repair people out west (whose name escapes me) to see if they have any fabric socks they could install.

Thanks Suz....and everyone else for the advice. gore-tex socks would be my first choice but I'm also interested in quick turn around so that could influence where I send the suit. Suz, I'll do some google research to see if I can find the western shop. So it will be either gore-tex socks or latex socks. I do hate those #@%&ing ankle gaskets.

My advice to anyone contemplating their first drysuit would be to buy the best one they can afford and don't skimp on features.

Definitely the latex socks. I put them on my Stohlquist & Gayla's Kokotat suit. A little finicky to get on, but definitely doable as a do-it-yourself job. It was a few years ago, but I believe I got the socks & glue at NE Small Craft.

Don

Thanks Suz....and everyone else for the advice. gore-tex socks would be my first choice but I'm also interested in quick turn around so that could influence where I send the suit. Suz, I'll do some google research to see if I can find the western shop. So it will be either gore-tex socks or latex socks. I do hate those #@%&ing ankle gaskets.

Installing latex booties is an easy DIY job. I have pics and instructions in my Dry Suit Repair album on Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

You can buy the booties and cement locally or through OS Systems (http://www.ossystems.com). They offer them in several sizes, so you should be able to get one that's a reasonably close fit, which is key to making them easy to use.

My advice to anyone contemplating their first drysuit would be to buy the best one they can afford and don't skimp on features.

Unfortunately, it seems that most of of us learn that lesson too late, after we've wasted money on less expensive, but less functional gear. We inevitable end up spending more than if we had just ponied up the big bucks in the first place. It's a classic case of "false economy". :blush: