Winter thoughts on Safe Paddling...

jdkilroy

Hey all:

Since the weather seems intent on making rather uncomfortable to be on the water, I thought I would look around for some articles on lessons learned while paddling.

Here's one from Sean Morely My link

Another paddler in that group wrote this of the incident: My link

There is a video at either site that goes along with the story

Anyone else know of some stories to mull over? Add the link to this thread.

Happy shoveling... Jon

There were several lessons from the report that we could learn from. A group of ostensibly much experienced and skilled paddlers had a goal (practice rescues in calm conditions) and didn't think to prepare for worst case scenarios. e.g. VHF's abounded but in hatches not on persons. No designated leader (sound familiar)? I liked very much the incident report where each participant added their own voice as if in conversation as opposed to the often individual and conflicting trip reports we in NSPN do after a dramatic day on the water. Re-enter and roll seems to be the gold standard for a leader and while the reports were ambiguous on this; it did appear that some were relying on foot pumps after capsize and recovery. Is this a necessary safety requirement that we who occasionally get into Level 4 environments eschew at our peril?

There were several lessons from the report that we could learn from. A group of ostensibly much experienced and skilled paddlers had a goal (practice rescues in calm conditions) and didn't think to prepare for worst case scenarios. e.g. VHF's abounded but in hatches not on persons. No designated leader (sound familiar)? I liked very much the incident report where each participant added their own voice as if in conversation as opposed to the often individual and conflicting trip reports we in NSPN do after a dramatic day on the water. Re-enter and roll seems to be the gold standard for a leader and while the reports were ambiguous on this; it did appear that some were relying on foot pumps after capsize and recovery. Is this a necessary safety requirement that we who occasionally get into Level 4 environments eschew at our peril?

I found the participants qualifications at the end to be very impressive. Very well analysised