Bangs & Crow, Take 2!

Rob Hazard

How about trying the Bangs & Crow trip again this Sunday?

I propose a 10 AM launch from Cousins Island, counter-clockwise circuit of Great Chebeague with stops at Bangs + Crow for lunch and a little trail clearing and general pickup.

The weather outlook is good so far, and the tidal currents are as follows:

(Broad Sound West of Eagle Island)

Max Ebb 0702 -1.4

Low Slack 1034

Max Flood 1254 +1.0

High Slack 1607

So we'd be launching on the tail of the ebb tide, which means we'd have the choice of rounding Little Chebeague or portaging over the sandbar. Otherwise we'll have the tide with us or slack water to paddle over.

This is a Level 3 trip by the club guidelines. The water is cold now, so drysuits are a MUST. As before, if the weather forecast changes for the worse, let's cancel. I'm not into heroic paddling.

Who's up for it?

Rob

Who's up for it?

I rather think I will need to burn some calories so if you're there, I will do my best to be there too.

Of course, rotund and stuffed, I may only be able to dawdle.

Portage? You guys with keel strips have all the fun.

Images of the Franklin crew on King William Land come to mind.

Ed Lawson

Count me in. The forecast looks good for Sunday in the Portland area. Any tools I should bring for the cleanup?

But one reason I switched from canoe to kayak was because (I thought) kayakers don't have to portage! What's this about a portage?! I'll stay in my boat, thank you very much.

Actually I just checked google maps and that little sandbar doesn't look all that bad, so maybe.

Blaine

Fear not, Blaine. I have been assured that one of our number has arranged with a local chieftain for a train of porters to carry our vessels across the isthmus, singing their charmingly folksy chants as they go, while we march on ahead in freshly ironed khaki suits.

Clippers, work gloves, garbage bags.

Leftovers and energy bars, hardtack and salt horse.

I'll be joining, work gloves et al.. Launching from a place called Cousin Island Bridge, 10 am.

It's the 1st time for me up there so I have a cell # 770-0496 with a nh exchange in case you see some guy driving around, looking confused.

Might be interested in an over night if others are, but other than that I'll do it as a day trip and keep with the group.

Looks like a nice day to be up that way.

Never having been to Casco Bay, I need a bit more detail on the launch. Is it the bridge connecting Cousins Island to the mainland, or the bridge connecting Cousins with the little one east of it (Talbot Rd.)?

Blaine

Never having been to Casco Bay, I need a bit more detail on the launch. Is it the bridge connecting Cousins Island to the mainland, or the bridge connecting Cousins with the little one east of it (Talbot Rd.)?

It is the bridge connecting Cousins with the mainland. The parking lot is on the left immediately after crossing the bridge.

The beach is down the trail towards the mainland. All obvious once you are there.

This link might help.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=iceweasel-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&q=google+map+Cousings+Island+sandy+point+Maine&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Sandy+Point,+Yarmouth,+ME+04096&gl=us&ei=3HnxTKeAFsXflgeNtqToDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

Ed Lawson