Sat Nov 20 Casco Bay, Bangs & Crow Is CANCEL

Rob Hazard

Trip canceled due to bad weather forecast.

I'm thinking about paying a visit to Bangs and Crow Islands, the islands in Casco Bay we have "adopted" for MITA, on Saturday, Nov 20. Anyone interested in coming along?

I'd like to launch around 10 AM at the Cousins Island bridge, then proceed down the west side of Cousins, cross to the west end of Great Chebeague, passing over the Little Chebeague Bar, then turn east and head up to Bangs, cross to Crow for lunch, and head back up the east side of Great Chebeague and back to Cousins.

The distance appears to be between 11 and 12 nautical miles, so in good paddling conditions I'd estimate 4 hours on the water. With stops I figure we'd return about 4 PM.

The two longest crossings are both about 1 nm, but could be shortened by shore hugging, which would lengthen the total distance by a couple miles.

The tide table predicts a high tide about 10 AM, so we'd have it with us for the outward leg and have plenty of water to cross the bar between the Chebeagues, but the Ebb would be peaking about 1 PM, just as we head back in, so we'd have to hug the shore of Great Chebeague to stay out of the current.

The planned route is mostly in fairly protected water, but if there's a west wind we might make both legs on the east side of Chebeague for shelter and a shorter trip. And, of course, I'd cancel if the weather threatened to be at all hostile.

This is a cold water trip, so dry suits and all the usual preparations and precautions are expected. And I'd recommend bringing lights in case a delay has us returning in twilight.

So who wants to come along?

Due to the bad weather forecast, I am canceling this trip. - Rob

Rob

I want to come along.

I normally take the opposite route along littlejohn to great chebeague and then to crow and bangs (protected from prevailing winds), returning via little chebeague to cousins (riding following seas back)

But either way I'd go. I hope that nothing gets in the way.

I'm thinking about paying a visit to Bangs and Crow Islands, the islands in Casco Bay we have "adopted" for MITA, on Saturday, Nov 20. Anyone interested in coming along?

I'd like to launch around 10 AM at the Cousins Island bridge, then proceed down the west side of Cousins, cross to the west end of Great Chebeague, passing over the Little Chebeague Bar, then turn east and head up to Bangs, cross to Crow for lunch, and head back up the east side of Great Chebeague and back to Cousins.

The distance appears to be between 11 and 12 nautical miles, so in good paddling conditions I'd estimate 4 hours on the water. With stops I figure we'd return about 4 PM.

The two longest crossings are both about 1 nm, but could be shortened by shore hugging, which would lengthen the total distance by a couple miles.

The tide table predicts a high tide about 10 AM, so we'd have it with us for the outward leg and have plenty of water to cross the bar between the Chebeagues, but the Ebb would be peaking about 1 PM, just as we head back in, so we'd have to hug the shore of Great Chebeague to stay out of the current.

The planned route is mostly in fairly protected water, but if there's a west wind we might make both legs on the east side of Chebeague for shelter and a shorter trip. And, of course, I'd cancel if the weather threatened to be at all hostile.

This is a cold water trip, so dry suits and all the usual preparations and precautions are expected. And I'd recommend bringing lights in case a delay has us returning in twilight.

Rob

I'm thinking about paying a visit to Bangs and Crow Islands, the islands in Casco Bay we have "adopted" for MITA, on Saturday, Nov 20. ....

Sounds suitably insane. I will need to be back no later than 4PM due to commitments.

Weatherwise: Rain-no;snow-yes.

Ed Lawson

Rob,

Count me in -- snow, rain, shine, whatever. I do like the idea of snow however.

Blaine

That sounds great Gary. I might be in on that.

Rob, I WANT to but can't commit just yet. If I end up coming I will be camping overnight Sat. Anybody else?

Gary

Ooh! One TINY LITTLE detail I somehow neglected to mention...

The initial reason for this trip is stewardship of Bangs and Crow Islands.

That means cleanup, monitoring, reduction of various evidence of summer visitors to a more natural state.

So we need to bring work gloves, clippers, and plastic garbage bags.

We will not need to pack the stuff home, though. We'll cache it somewhere where a MITA crew can take it off-island at their convenience.

You all didn't think this was just a joy ride, did you? :rolleyes:

OK, so who's STILL interested?

Rob

Forget it. I am bringing a guitar. :-)

Life is good - camping in the whites this weekend, a maine island next weekend...

sent from tapdancing lessons via nexus one

Rob,

I'd like to join you. Gary/Rene I'm a maybe on camping.

Barry.

The initial reason for this trip is stewardship of Bangs and Crow Islands.

That means cleanup, monitoring, reduction of various evidence of summer visitors to a more natural state.

So we need to bring work gloves, clippers, and plastic garbage bags.

We will not need to pack the stuff home, though. We'll cache it somewhere where a MITA crew can take it off-island at their convenience.

You all didn't think this was just a joy ride, did you? :rolleyes:

OK, so who's STILL interested?

Rob

Don't they call this "bait and switch"?

Where is the consumer Protection Agency when you need them?

At least you didn't wait until the beach briefing and the handing out of garden implements. <G>

Ed Lawson

I count 9 names so far. That's a good sized fleet. If you guys want to cross-post to SMSKN, that's fine, but we may need to divide into 2 fleets to keep the head counting manageable. Apart from that, the more the merrier!

I followed up on a suggestion of Ed Lawson's and asked the MITA folks what needed doing on Bangs & Crow. It looks like Bangs may need a bit of shoreline pickup but not much else for now. Crow could use some trail clearing and a thorough search for the logbook, which has gone missing (possibly stolen). MITA's boats have been winterized now so they won't be doing any more trash pickups this year. Any trash we collect can either be brought ashore or wrapped up and tied down in one of the campsites until spring. Last year we composted our brush trimmings discreetly on island, which I'll assume we can do again.

I would like to fill out a float plan for the trip, so if you're sure you're coming please send me the following details: Name, boat description, phone #, emergency contact w/ phone#. If you're not sure, don't worry, we'll do it at the beach briefing.

Thanks,

Rob

My son has just called. I need to pick him up in Haverhill at 2PM on Saturday - so - I won't be on this trip. Such is life. :-)

Rene

Done.

http://www.smskn.org/events/event-listing/icalrepeat.detail/2010/11/20/293/-/paddle-around-chebeague-with-visit-to-bangs-and-crow

Should be a good paddle and always value in folks from different clubs getting together.

Hopefully the weather will be good.

Ed Lawson

I just checked Accuweather's forecast for Casco Bay for Saturday. They predict winds peaking about 20 knots in the early afternoon. Technically that would push the trip beyond the boundary of a Level 3 paddle. I still plan on going, of course. We'll be mostly in protected water, and in the early afternoon when the wind is peaking, we will likely be ashore eating lunch or trimming the trails. Besides, a LOT can change between now and Saturday!

I thought it was worth a heads-up, though.

Rob

I just checked Accuweather's forecast for Casco Bay for Saturday. They predict winds peaking about 20 knots in the early afternoon. Technically that would push the trip beyond the boundary of a Level 3 paddle. I still plan on going, of course. We'll be mostly in protected water, and in the early afternoon when the wind is peaking, we will likely be ashore eating lunch or trimming the trails. Besides, a LOT can change between now and Saturday!

I thought it was worth a heads-up, though.

Rob

Currently the NOAA coastal forecast for Saturday is 4' waves 26K wind from the west and 30K gusts.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/sectors/gyxMarineDay.php#tabs

Things tamp down nicely on Sunday. Any chance of rescheduling?

CANCEL!

By which I mean I do not think it would be wise to venture out on Casco Bay this Saturday. The wind is predicted to be 20 - 25 with gusts to 35.

I have another commitment for Sunday, so I'll suggest we try again another weekend, after Thanksgiving.

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest in this trip. We will get out there, just not under suicidal conditions!

Cheers,

Rob