Upgraded message board

Bill Gwynn

Good morning,

Jason and I have spent sometime not only this morning, but actually for several months back preparing for this upgrade. It is now done and seems to be functioning quite well. Hopefully this upgrade will provide better performance and better security from spammers, also some added features. Please post to this thread if you find any glitches we may have missed.

Cheers,

Your Web Team Bill & Jason

PS...I will be messing about with the style sheet, so don't panic if you see some weird colors...oooooohhhhhhh.

Bill/Jason:

Really like the new look, especially the full screen width.

As usual, NSPN voluneers work tirelessly and selflessly to keep us up and running. It is so easy to take for granted, but we shouldn't.

Hats off to your talent and dedication.

Thanks,

Scott

Very nicely done. Looks great.

just noticed that I'm having trouble navigating back to the "General Message Board" from any other category but NOT between any of the other categories. In order to get back to GMB, I need to return to nspn.org and then go to GMB. (Intel Mac/Firefox)

Thanks guys, Jon

P.S. Is the "Private Trips" category somehow different from the old "Trips" category?

it looks nice on my nexxus one. Michael, you said it looked great on Droid... did you see the reply button? I can read the board fine on the phone but I can't seem to locate the reply button even when I logged in.

Very nicely done. Looks great.

just noticed that I'm having trouble navigating back to the "General Message Board" from any other category but NOT between any of the other categories. In order to get back to GMB, I need to return to nspn.org and then go to GMB. (Intel Mac/Firefox)

Thanks guys, Jon

P.S. Is the "Private Trips" category somehow different from the old "Trips" category?

Hi Jon,

Menu links are fixed. Darn tyepo's. :)

Also, the "Private Trips" has been changed back to just "Trips". Back in the day, they were called private trips, and the text in the menu was a left over from back then.

Thanks for the heads up on these items.

Cheers,

Bill

minor aesthetic issue on a small screen mac running safari. The menu bar containing NSPN, Forums, Members, Blogs.... bumps up too tightly (IMO) against the mouse over picture with our org., our community, events planning.... etc.

Phil

post-100497-0-34304900-1289171568_thumb.

minor aesthetic issue on a small screen mac running safari. The menu bar containing NSPN, Forums, Members, Blogs.... bumps up too tightly (IMO) against the mouse over picture with our org., our community, events planning.... etc.

Phil

Phil,

Could you clear your cache and relaunch safari. The thing that i see as a problem on your screen shot, is that there should be no color blue in the header/menu area. Everything should be the teal green color. Probably what happened is that you were on the message board early Saturday afternoon, as I was still adjusting colors and graphics, so you have some old graphics cached.

As to your question regarding the 2 menus being too close to each other, it was kind of a tough job getting our existing header with our drop down menu's to play well with the new IPB software. I don't know if there is an easy way to move the Forums, Members, Blogs... menu down. If the consensus is, that it is a problem, I will delve into it further.

Bill

Phil,

Could you clear your cache and relaunch safari. The thing that i see as a problem on your screen shot, is that there should be no color blue in the header/menu area. Everything should be the teal green color. Probably what happened is that you were on the message board early Saturday afternoon, as I was still adjusting colors and graphics, so you have some old graphics cached.

As to your question regarding the 2 menus being too close to each other, it was kind of a tough job getting our existing header with our drop down menu's to play well with the new IPB software. I don't know if there is an easy way to move the Forums, Members, Blogs... menu down. If the consensus is, that it is a problem, I will delve into it further.

Bill

Thanks Bill, clearing the cache got rid of the strange color mix. And the spacing issue is not a big deal.

Phil

Updates look fabulous! ...and I love that there is a mobile view now. So, I'm going to request one more item:

My favorite way of working with the forum is to use the "active topics" list, looking at the past 24 hrs or week, depending on how long its been since I've logged in. I can't see how to get to this with a mobile browser. ...except by setting the browser to deny that it is a mobile browser as can be done on Android. ;-)

I tried putting this link into the mobile browser:

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active

...and it responded with a page that looked like it would let me get the active topics, but didn't give me the topic list.

Lacking this, I'll need to go back to the non-mobile view which really doesn't work as nicely on a tiny mobile screen.

Thanks!

Ty

Updates look fabulous! ...and I love that there is a mobile view now. So, I'm going to request one more item:

My favorite way of working with the forum is to use the "active topics" list, looking at the past 24 hrs or week, depending on how long its been since I've logged in. I can't see how to get to this with a mobile browser. ...except by setting the browser to deny that it is a mobile browser as can be done on Android. ;-)

I tried putting this link into the mobile browser:

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active

...and it responded with a page that looked like it would let me get the active topics, but didn't give me the topic list.

Lacking this, I'll need to go back to the non-mobile view which really doesn't work as nicely on a tiny mobile screen.

Thanks!

Ty

Do you have an Iphone? I installed the Iphone application and it the new topics works well from it.

-Jason

Do you have an Iphone? I installed the Iphone application and it the new topics works well from it.

Nope. Android.

I've found that one, but it wasn't clear what it was giving me. It is neither recently active topics, nor unread topics. It appears to be recently active topics, but maybe only those I haven't read and only for the last 24 hrs? ...it doesn't say.

I'm trying to get to a mobile equivalent of this:

post-101111-0-33588700-1289324639_thumb.

I can get to that exact page if I set the browser to claim to be a desktop rather than mobile browser.

This looks like its supposed to be it. It lets me choose a time period, but it doesn't list topics when I click on "GO":

post-101111-0-32958500-1289324681_thumb.

Clicking on the upper right gives this menu:

post-101111-0-25297400-1289324876_thumb.

and then selecting "New Content" gives me something close, but I'm not quite sure what it is and I can't select how far back in time to go:

post-101111-0-66018500-1289324899_thumb.

I would guess that on the first mobile image I posted, either that page isn't quite right, or the "GO" button is somehow not working for me. Note that near the top it says, "Active content in the last" and then "There have been 5 entires in the last". Neither are a complete statement as they both lack the time period that I expect to follow those phrases.

...screen captures are a new trick for me and it appears I need to adjust a color setting.

Thanks!

Ty

I'm trying to get to a mobile equivalent of this:

post-101111-0-33588700-1289324639_thumb.

I normally use Firefox (currently version 3.6.8) to browse the forum. Until I saw Tyson's post, I did not realize that the new forum's "View New Content" page had an "Active in the last [24 hours ^] (Go)" bar. I'm seeing the bar when I log into the forum using IE, but not when I'm using Firefox.

Its especially a problem when the forum says "Sorry, no new content found." because then I can not even see a list of the current day's new content.

thanks,

Bill

It looks like the first image PC screen shot, and the last image from android have the exact same content/5messages.

In the first case (PC) I can ask for the past week. ...and I'm not certain if it was just a week vs. 24hrs issue or something else, but yesterday at one point I was getting only a single item in the mobile version while I was getting 5-ish on the PC. The week option is very useful when not checking the board every day.

The first mobile shot looks like I should be able to get the week option, but it never actually gives me anything.

...and I don't know how to get to that screen except by pasting the link in from a PC. ;-)

I normally use Firefox (currently version 3.6.8) to browse the forum. Until I saw Tyson's post, I did not realize that the new forum's "View New Content" page had an "Active in the last [24 hours ^] (Go)" bar. I'm seeing the bar when I log into the forum using IE, but not when I'm using Firefox.

Its especially a problem when the forum says "Sorry, no new content found." because then I can not even see a list of the current day's new content.

thanks,

Bill

I normally use Chrome these days, but I just tried FireFox 3.6.11 on Ubuntu 9.04 and all the items are there. I normally get there by clicking on "Message Boards" in the top banner. Scroll down to the dark blue header bar below the "Main Category" table and click on "Today's Active Content".

It won't solve the any missing bars, but it does deal with the "no new content" issue.

Cheers!

Ty

thanks,

Bill

OK, different answer:

If I'm logged out, both the upper right "View New Content" link and the "Message Boards"->"Today's Active Content", both take me to a "Active content in the last 24 hours" page.

If I'm logged in, the "Message Boards" route takes me to the same place where I can see the past 24 hrs. If I use "View New Content" it takes me to a "New Content" page that seems to only show what is posted in the past 24 hrs and I haven't read yet. ...and is now empty. In any case, the "New Content" page contains no option to select 24hrs, week, etc...

All of the above is the desktop/PC version. On the mobile version it doesn't matter if I'm signed in or not. I can get to a page that lets me select a period (24hrs, week, etc...) but refuses to provide a list of topics, or I can go to the new content page which doesn't list anything I've already read and doesn't let me select a history length.