The Back Deck Roll

brambor

I found an interesting roll that I haven't seen before. Looks like this could be useful in surfing.

I wonder if this roll works also with a greenland blade?

I found an interesting roll that I haven't seen before. Looks like this could be useful in surfing.

I wonder if this roll works also with a greenland blade?

With a GP, it's even easier, as you don't need to cock your wrists; you just perform the roll with your palms facing down, using the back side of the blades.

My SWAG is it would be useful if you get knocked down while the paddle is in the water as a rudder (usually to control broaching) since you are then in a good position to do a forward finishing roll once over. Assuming you want to pop up quickly and not flail about getting into you "normal" set up position before rolling. If you are bracing into the wave and get knocked over, then you will more likely be closer to position for a "normal" roll and this one would not be that useful. Or so I speculate.

FWIW, doing the forward sweep roll is really neat set of sensations when you fall over backwards and rotate around and up. I think it is one of the more "fun" rolls for that reason.

Ed Lawson

This will be my pool session project this winter :-)

My SWAG is it would be useful if you get knocked down while the paddle is in the water as a rudder (usually to control broaching) since you are then in a good position to do a forward finishing roll once over. Assuming you want to pop up quickly and not flail about getting into you "normal" set up position before rolling. If you are bracing into the wave and get knocked over, then you will more likely be closer to position for a "normal" roll and this one would not be that useful. Or so I speculate.

FWIW, doing the forward sweep roll is really neat set of sensations when you fall over backwards and rotate around and up. I think it is one of the more "fun" rolls for that reason.

Ed Lawson