Where to get this type of instruction

brambor

Two members of my family could use one on one instruction to improve their paddle stroke with greenland and euro paddle. I think 30-60 minutes at a time of paddling, evaluating and adjusting is just enough for them to absorb until the next lesson (if necessary). The instructors I thought of at first thought all seem to want something like 1/2 day on the water which I think is just too much - while I also understand that to make it worth the instuctor's while they want to make a certain amount of money per day.

Videos or books are not going to work. I am looking for a friendly paddle or pool session with the intent to improve blade movement.

Location would be ideal somewhere between Brunswick and Portsmouth. I wonder if you could recommend an instructor who does something like this?

Two members of my family could use one on one instruction to improve their paddle stroke with greenland and euro paddle. I think 30-60 minutes at a time of paddling, evaluating and adjusting is just enough for them to absorb until the next lesson (if necessary). The instructors I thought of at first thought all seem to want something like 1/2 day on the water which I think is just too much - while I also understand that to make it worth the instuctor's while they want to make a certain amount of money per day.

Videos or books are not going to work. I am looking for a friendly paddle or pool session with the intent to improve blade movement.

Location would be ideal somewhere between Brunswick and Portsmouth. I wonder if you could recommend an instructor who does something like this?

Adults or younger than that?

Phil

1 adult

12 year old who rolled successfully this weekend.

Why don't you consider using the instructor for the day and when the two other students have had their fill, you use the remainder time?

Not much can be accomplished in 30 minutes (as you suggested originally).

I disagree and I know how my kid responds to subject matter and how long can my other family member stay in cockpit for instruction.

Why don't you consider using the instructor for the day and when the two other students have had their fill, you use the remainder time?

Not much can be accomplished in 30 minutes (as you suggested originally).

NE Seacoast Paddlers "Meetup" will have Cheri & Turner at a couple of pool sessions over the winter and a couple of lake sessions at Pawtuckaway in the Spring. Nothing has been scheduled yet but 1 hour semi private or private instruction will be available. They are the best Greenland teachers I know of in this part of the country.

At the next Board Meeting I will discuss the possibility of having Cheri & Turner come to one of the NSPN pool sessions we will be hosting at UNH in January, February or March on Sundays. If other people have an interest in this, let me know soon.

Doug

to one of the NSPN pool sessions we will be hosting at UNH in January, February or March on Sundays. If other people have an interest in this, let me know soon.

Pool sessions at the big pool in the field house? Very exciting news. How many weekends per month?

Two or three hours? I found the 3 hr. sessions by Neil's group were really nice timing wise.

Ed Lawson

Pool sessions at the big pool in the field house? Very exciting news. How many weekends per month?

Two or three hours? I found the 3 hr. sessions by Neil's group were really nice timing wise.

Ed Lawson

Yes, I found 3 hours to be really nice too but unless people request 3 over 2, the Board is leaning towards 2. I have 3 dates booked right now. Jan-Mar

"At the next Board Meeting I will discuss the possibility of having Cheri & Turner come to one of the NSPN pool sessions we will be hosting at UNH in January, February or March on Sundays. If other people have an interest in this, let me know soon. "

Doug

Hey Doug,

Pool sessions at UNH! Count me in!!!

Thanks,

Warren

unless people request 3 over 2, the Board is leaning towards 2.

Well, as one of the little people I request 3 and not 2 hours. For those who have not gone to the 3 hour sessions and have complained of not all that much time in two hour sessions, this is your chance.That extra hour is really nice. More time to get in lots of stuff and still have time to work with others.

Ed Lawson

Hi Doug. We are definitely interested. I had them at the Rough Water symposium in a group of about 10 people and it was just right. They showed technique, 1 on one assisted, then you worked on it yourself a bit and they corrected you when they saw deviation.

I disagree and I know how my kid responds to subject matter and how long can my other family member stay in cockpit for instruction.

Obviously you know and I do not, but a couple of thoughts. First, the forward stroke is the most important and most difficult stroke to learn well. I have been told it takes a long time to develop a good forward stroke. My observations tell me neither I nor most others have a good forward stroke. Second, there are some big differences between GP paddling and EP paddling so trying to learn both at the same time might be a bit much. The basics are the same, but the devil is in the details. Third, I believe there are many facets of the forward stroke which are unique to each individual so a coach has to spend some time getting everything to fit. It is not, I suspect, a matter of simply saying do this or that; rather developing a plan that fits the person. Also a good coach can certainly add variety and spend time on other things to fill half a day easily and work on progress with the forward strike at the same time.

So I would suggest trying half a day with a coach who understands the issues with teaching youngsters and the need to make the time fun and varied. I guess you would need to have a heart to heart talk with the usual suspects to select one.

Ed Lawson

Ben Lawry is the preeminent instructor on forward stroke efficiency, and power transfer. He's put a huge amount of thought and preparation into his teaching, and a session with him would be a very good use of time.

http://www.benlawry.net/www.benlawry.net/Welcome.html

the calendar on his website might give some indication when he's in this area.

He passes through this area with some regularity, teaching at CRCK and elsewhere. He's got a busy schedule, setting up a weekend private session with him might be difficult, but if you;'re flexible and can find some time on weekdays, that might work.

As for how this thread started other than the pool session I see several people telling Rene (sp?) what he should be looking for. He knows there are plenty of talented instructors who hold half day, etc. instruction. He needs to find someone to meet the needs of his kids. Sounds like the pool sessions are the best bet.

Of course, if resources were no object, I do know many great instructors up to the task ... and I would not need to post a question. For now however I think the option presented by Doug sounds like the best bet. Thanks.

It might be cool to see how many paddlers are interested in improving their forward stroke and then pool monetary resources to get a competent teacher in a bay or lake setting. A pool might be too short for teaching forward stroke.

NE Seacoast Paddlers "Meetup" will have Cheri & Turner at a couple of pool sessions over the winter and a couple of lake sessions at Pawtuckaway in the Spring. Nothing has been scheduled yet but 1 hour semi private or private instruction will be available. They are the best Greenland teachers I know of in this part of the country.

At the next Board Meeting I will discuss the possibility of having Cheri & Turner come to one of the NSPN pool sessions we will be hosting at UNH in January, February or March on Sundays. If other people have an interest in this, let me know soon.

Doug

Count me in and I'm with the other little guys (gals) in requesting three, not two, hours - prudence

It might be cool to see how many paddlers are interested in improving their forward stroke and then pool monetary resources to get a competent teacher in a bay or lake setting. A pool might be too short for teaching forward stroke.

Exactly. Pools are definitely not a good setting for a forward stroke skills session . If youre looking for general forward paddling skills, some pond or harbor is a common setting.