kayak storage in concrete garage

prudenceb

OK, so now I have this wonderful new boat - 17' 6" - and it won't fit in the basement for winter storage. I have a small one car garage that has concrete walls and ceiling and fits my Honda Civic and not much else. But there is space above the car. Does anyone have any experience with buying or designing/building a pulley stem to hang a kayak from a concrete ceiling? I've seen a product online that purports to pull kayaks and canoes up for ceiling storage, but it requires studs/rafters.

What do I know about concrete? Nothing! Could a fastener of some sort set into concrete even hold a 55 pound boat?

If anyone has managed to do what I'm hoping to do, any advice would be appreciated. I have a clever contractor friend who would be able to do the construction if he had any guidance in what to do. Thanks for any help!

prudence

Pru, your builder friend has only to drill two holes in the ceiling and install a couple of expansion bolts -- from these you can hang either nylon webbing straps directly or some pulleys.

I prefer the simplicity of webbing straps -- you'd likely be able to lift one end at a time and hang the boat above your car (or off to one side, if you prefer; but right above the car means you'll be able to raise or lower it directly into your roof-rack saddles!)

Not difficult at all: I used to keep two boats in my carport like that (hooks screwed into wooden beams plus webbing straps, grommeted)

I have used the Harken Hoister product for two kayaks in my old garage and highly recommend them. Unlike rafters you can place the hangers (four for each boat) exactly where you need them. Drilling into concrete with a 3/16 to 1/4 " diameter hole could be done with an ordinary drill and masonary bit but would go much faster with a hammer/drill. Anchors would be placed in the holes with adhesive and then the hangers screwed into the them. If it was me it would give me the excuse to purchase the ram/drill, otherwise any contractor could do the job for you. If you want to use the Hoister system I have two of them for sale at half price.

http://www.hoister.com/selection.php

I have used the Harken Hoister product for two kayaks in my old garage and highly recommend them. Unlike rafters you can place the hangers (four for each boat) exactly where you need them. Drilling into concrete with a 3/16 to 1/4 " diameter hole could be done with an ordinary drill and masonary bit but would go much faster with a hammer/drill. Anchors would be placed in the holes with adhesive and then the hangers screwed into the them. If it was me it would give me the excuse to purchase the ram/drill, otherwise any contractor could do the job for you. If you want to use the Hoister system I have two of them for sale at half price.

http://www.hoister.com/selection.php

This sounds as though it may be the ticket. Does this system work such that you hoist the boat either directly from the car top or from the floor of the garage? And if it is indeed installable in a concrete ceiling per your instructions, I would definitely be interested in purchasing yours. How much? You say you have to "of them" for sale - does this mean two complete systems for two boats, or enough for one, or what? prudence

This sounds as though it may be the ticket. Does this system work such that you hoist the boat either directly from the car top or from the floor of the garage? And if it is indeed installable in a concrete ceiling per your instructions, I would definitely be interested in purchasing yours. How much? You say you have to "of them" for sale - does this mean two complete systems for two boats, or enough for one, or what? prudence

Drilling into a concrete ceiling and setting expansion bolt anchors should be no problem: they can hold way way way more weight that 55 lbs.

I have all the fixings for setting anchors in concrete: Hilti hammer drill, expansion bolts, tamper rod, et. If you're handy and plan to have go at it yourself, let me know. With the right equipment , its a very fast job.

Drilling into a concrete ceiling and setting expansion bolt anchors should be no problem: they can hold way way way more weight that 55 lbs.

I have all the fixings for setting anchors in concrete: Hilti hammer drill, expansion bolts, tamper rod, et. If you're handy and plan to have go at it yourself, let me know. With the right equipment , its a very fast job.

Hi Peter - Nope, handy I'm not! I'm gonna need help on this one - thus, my contractor friend who will only need instruction on what I want.

Thanks!

pru

Another option is to install every thing using Tapcon screws. These are designed to be used in concrete & if installed correctly they are very strong. If you are going to mount w/ adhesive anything into the concrete the product to use is Strong Tie. It cones in a caulking tub. but is a two part epoxy adhesive that mixes in the nozzle as it comes out the tip. As I remember, when used w/ a 1/2 bolt it has a pull out strength of 10,000 lbs. Hmmm...I wonder if this is what they used to hold the ceiling panels in place in the 'big dig' tunnel.

For what it's worth, I'd considering asking your contractor friend to help you bolt a simple 2x4 to the ceiling lengthwise. Then you can easily mount whatever you want to it with or without expert assistance.

-Lisa

I have two separate systems for two boats. Here is the link for the information:

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7312

And either of them can lift the boat up from the car top or the garage floor.

I have two separate systems for two boats. Here is the link for the information:

http://www.nspn.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7312

And either of them can lift the boat up from the car top or the garage floor.

Gene - I'll be in touch after I've talked to my contractor - how do I reach you? - other than on this continuing thread?

pru