West Isles, Bay of Fundy

kate

panoBakersDawna.jpg

West Isles, Bay of Fundy Trip

Here is the link to the trip report for my recent excursion to the Bay of Fundy. In some ways it was an easy trip, in some ways there were unexpected challenges. The Bay of Fundy definitely came through with lots of current. Lots. Also whales (no photos, sadly) and a rich diversity of sea life.

Wonderful trip. Please enjoy the photos!

NK

Kathy,

Top picture on page4 = verry nice !

panoBakersDawna.jpg

Here is the link to the trip report for my recent excursion to the Bay of Fundy. In some ways it was an easy trip, in some ways there were unexpected challenges. The Bay of Fundy definitely came through with lots of current. Lots. Also whales (no photos, sadly) and a rich diversity of sea life.

NK

Kate -

Thank you for a wonderful report and spectacular pictures. What magical memories it brings back. A few friends and I were in the area a couple of years ago and, again just this week of Labor Day. We crossed over to Grand Manan and paddled around the island then down the NB coast from Blacks Harbor to Lubec. My hat's off to you for dealing solo with boat/gear in that tidal range and also the eventual thick fog which can make navigation confusing.

It is truely an amazing area to paddle.

Peace & Cheers,

Paula

(who also loves her Exped and Explorer LV)

Great trip, pictures and report. Whether you want to admit it or not Kate, you're unique. I think a compilation of your trips would make for an interesting book.

Yes indeed! Title -- Zen Kayaking.

But one question -- why did the pink deck come out purple in one shot? You been playing with the colors in ps?

--David

Yes indeed! Title -- Zen Kayaking.

But one question -- why did the pink deck come out purple in one shot? You been playing with the colors in ps?

--David

What nice things you all say. thank you.

David, I didn't play with colors. I think I know which shot you mean, and I suspect that it's an optical trick caused by juxtaposition of colors - the pink looks different against one color than it would against another. Or else the camera got the white balance wrong....

I'm so glad that I sold my ExplorerLV to you, Kate, as it's pretty clear its having more adventures than it ever had with me. Thanks for appreciating this boat for its true value and worth.

Deb M

Dora and I definitely bonded on this trip. I'm delighted with the boat (and I LOVE the pink). Sounds like it was a deal that worked for everyone.

Kate,

Thank you for sharing your trip to the Bay of Fundy. I was particularly drawn to the solo aspect of your journey as well as how you interacted with the world around you. I suspect that a similar experience could not have been as rich if it occurred as a group activity.

Perhaps I am like many who spent most of our lives feeling like a gerbil on a wheel and a good week is when we do not end up in the litter pan of life. You have crafted a vision of what it is like to live outside the cage we create for ourselves. I suspect your trip report will have a profound impact on my journey ahead.

Warren

panoBakersDawna.jpg

NK

Thanks Kate for another wonderful trip report; the pictures are stunning.

Barry.

Kate,

Thank you for sharing your trip to the Bay of Fundy. I was particularly drawn to the solo aspect of your journey as well as how you interacted with the world around you. I suspect that a similar experience could not have been as rich if it occurred as a group activity.

Thank you for your lyrical comment, Warren. I think that a solo trip is just a different kind of richness than a group trip. Both offer depth of experience. Sharing the days has its own pleasures (Mark usually remembers the rules to mancala...). I've found it rejuvenating either way. I'd be interested to hear how you (or others) experience solo trips.

Kate

Kate,

Kate,

Clearly, I enjoy reading your reflections and what kayaking has helped you achieve. I do not yet have the richness of experience to share which you seek. I am just beginning my journey in the field of sea kayaking. I, as well, would enjoy reading any postings which focus on solo expeditions since I seem to do my best work during times when I am alone.

In your journey to the Bay of Fundy you seem to have struck a good balance between risk and reward. I admire the ability to accomplish that balance in what seems to be referred to as seamanship skills, or the ability to know thy self and the risks ahead.

What has attracted me to the sport of sea kayaking is the intellectual (seamanship) aspect in balance with the need to always remain humble particularly with the environment in which we practice our craft. Perhaps some of the future postings will touch upon those aspects.

Warren

....would enjoy reading any postings which focus on solo expeditions

Warren

Warren, Kate has provided a link to her other trips, some of which are solos, at the end of her current report. I view these repeatedly, especially in the dead of winter! Kate superbly captures in words and pix the essence of sea kayaking.

Gary

I'd be interested to hear how you (or others) experience solo trips.

You comment about the difference between being alone and lonely struck a responsive chord.

While I enjoy having the right companion while "out", being alone has its own rewards which are very significant. I cannot imagine a life without solo trips. On a practical level it makes things very simple and direct. To me it enhances the experiences with the environment because it is easier to become in sync with it and is immensely satisfying since the trip is a product of your decisions as a self reliant person.

Ed Lawson

What a great trip! The pictures as normal for you were just stunning. You seem to have the luck finding things floating by when you need them. The other time it was the scrubby, this time the water.

I look forward to your next trip report.

-Jason

Kate,

I hope you have a chance to circle back on this discussion chain. In reading your trip report you refer to the "SPOT" device that you used to let Mark know your location. Can you expand the acronym? Where does one locate a "SPOT" device?

Warren

Kate,

I hope you have a chance to circle back on this discussion chain. In reading your trip report you refer to the "SPOT" device that you used to let Mark know your location. Can you expand the acronym? Where does one locate a "SPOT" device?

Warren

This is what it is:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

As far as locations to get one, REI, EMS, West Marine, Amazon, .....

Great trip report !!

As I was reading I started to wonder if this was the same lady who did the Mingan trip a couple of years ago. Sure enough !

Nice to read from someone interested in the same areas. We've had our eye on doing Fundy these past couple of seasons so we will surely make use of some of the great wealth of info from your trip(s).

We keep oscillating between back to the Mingans or Bay of Fundy...decisions, decisions ..both would be the ideal. Sept is a great month.

Nice photos.. ( I believe small birds are plovers , there are several kinds, I think)