Werner Paddle stuck

nancysan

He also said NOT to apply excessive heat to the shaft, even with the cold on the side that goes in. Not good for the material.

Gotta disagree here. Carbon fibre is commonly used in epoxy and ester matrices that are heat-cured in manufacture.

As well, don't try telling aerospace engineers that it's not good in the, uh, rather frigid outer space.

So although wrapping an ice pack around the male and pouring boiling water on the female won't get you far in separating a stuck paddle shaft joint, I'm sure it won't hurt it either!

• 13 years later...

13 years later this topic is still quite current, at least for me. Several weeks ago I bought an (used) four-part (travel) Werner paddle that was (every time) very difficult to take apart where the blades ends meet the shafts. Last week I sent an email to Werner. They answered the next day (!) with the following information:

Issues with your paddle sticking.

1. Please be sure to clean them regularly with warm soapy water.

2. Be sure the blade ends that connect to the shaft are on the correct side. Right blade with the button area and left blade with the ferrule area shaft.

3. If you are having problems putting them together you can use a no abrasive scrubby from the kitchen to sand them down a small amount not to much but enough to clean any outer coat to fit better.

They are working nicely now. Will continue to take them apart after each paddle and wash with warm soapy water... In Werner's website I did not see the scrubby advice but they do say not to use lubricants.

Cheers!

24 minutes ago, Ricardo Caivano said:

13 years later this topic is still quite current, at least for me. Several weeks ago I bought an (used) four-part (travel) Werner paddle that was (every time) very difficult to take apart where the blades ends meet the shafts. Last week I sent an email to Werner. They answered the next day (!) with the following information:

Issues with your paddle sticking.

1. Please be sure to clean them regularly with warm soapy water.

2. Be sure the blade ends that connect to the shaft are on the correct side. Right blade with the button area and left blade with the ferrule area shaft.

3. If you are having problems putting them together you can use a no abrasive scrubby from the kitchen to sand them down a small amount not to much but enough to clean any outer coat to fit better.

They are working nicely now. Will continue to take them apart after each paddle and wash with warm soapy water... In Werner's website I did not see the scrubby advice but they do say not to use lubricants.

Cheers!

I also spoke with Werner a few years ago when I had frequently stuck Cyprus.  They specified Dawn dishwashing liquid as the one to use.  Of course now I'm paddling with a Lendal, so don't have the problem anymore ?.