Chebacco lake sessions

casousa81

Hi all,

Are the Chebacco sessions still taking place on Thursday evenings? Or the Salem Friday sessions? I'm looking to attend and finally meet some of you all (and see where I fall under the NSPN levels so I can finally start attending some group paddles).

Thanks,

~Chris

Hi all,

Are the Chebacco sessions still taking place on Thursday evenings? Or the Salem Friday sessions? I'm looking to attend and finally meet some of you all (and see where I fall under the NSPN levels so I can finally start attending some group paddles).

Thanks,

~Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to NSPN! As of a few weeks ago, Chebacco sessions were still going on. I plan on attending tonight. Forest River has not been well-attended due to traffic and/or the timing of low tide. I've been there most Fridays to practice, and (traffic-willing) plan to be there tomorrow. Also, plenty of water tomorrow at 6 or so since high tide is around 9.

Bob

Hi all,

Thanks,

~Chris

Had thought of coming with canoe and posted such - but plans are changed and now thinking Walden. Will post something separately on trips.

Suz

Hi and welcome,

A group of us have been meeting Wednesday at Walden Pond. People arrive after 5 p.m. (free after 5) and practice until around 7:15 p.m. We practice rolling, sculling, rescues, and stupid kayak tricks (standing up in your kayak's cockpit or kissing the bow of your boat). It is fun, instructive and you get help with improving your skills.

So join us if you can. Wednesday works best for most of us who show up.

The Walden gang,

Peter, Phil, Lorrie, Sid, me and whoever else shows up.

Hi Chris and welcome,

A group of us are meeting Wednesday at Walden Pond. People arrive after 5 p.m. (free after 5) and practice until around 7:15 p.m. We practice rolling, sculling, rescues, and stupid kayak tricks (standing up in your kayak's cockpit or kissing the bow of your boat). It is fun, instructive and you will improve your skills.

So join us if you can. Wednesday works best for most of us who show up.

The Walden gang,

Peter, Phil, Lorrie, Sid, me (Les) and whoever else shows up.

Thanks for the words of welcome! I didn't make it up to Chebacco on Thurs, as my sister ended up calling the day before and we ended up sailing instead.

If the Walden practice has been a weekly thing, I might start joining you guys for that (I was actually over there Weds morning for a calm solo paddle). I'm nowhere near ready to roll yet (although I simply haven't tried), but would definitely like to work on bracing, rescues, and overall boat handling. I finished building a Chesapeake 16 back in May, and am still getting used to the handling characteristics of the boat...

Cheers,

~Chris

Hi Chris,

YES, the Chebacco Lake sessions are still running, and will continue until the end of September.

Bring your boat, paddle, sprayskirt, and PFD.

If you want to get into rolling, nose clips or a snorkeling mask that covers your nose is a good idea.

We launch as soon after 5 pm as we can get it together, and paddle until sundown.

And we're always ready to welcome new members to the club!

Rob

I'm nowhere near ready to roll yet (although I simply haven't tried),

May I suggest if you have a boat, a paddle, and a sprayskirt, then you are ready to roll. Just think of it as another stroke and not some hard, expert, or whatever skill and don't wait to start playing around to learn it.

Ed Lawson

May I suggest if you have a boat, a paddle, and a sprayskirt, then you are ready to roll. Just think of it as another stroke and not some hard, expert, or whatever skill and don't wait to start playing around to learn it.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

Saying that "think of the roll as just another stroke" is like telling someone who's golf has been limited to the putting green that teeing off or driving is just another stroke! Technically you're correct and it may be helpful to the learner psychologically, but rolling a kayak, like driving a golf ball, is a highly complex kinesthetic skill requiring for some a great deal of competent instruction and then loads of practice. Natural right out of the box kayak rollers are not exactly legion.

One of the club's founders read a book and/or watched a video on rolling then went out one afternoon and learned how. Does anyone remember who this is? Hint: he lives on the North Shore.

As for learning to roll, how much instruction you need, etc. your mileage will vary. I know another long time member, and a recognized expert on many things physical, who was coaxed to roll several times at Mystic Lake until he started to think too much about it. As far as I know, these moments were the only where he reliably rolled.

I'd say go out and try but don't allow for much failure or success before getting a few pointers. Failure can lead to frustration, and it should be about joy, you know. Success can lead to bad habits, thus the pointers.

Best of luck.

Although I was comfortable in a kayak from my first time out, I have no doubt that learning to roll will be a much more complex skill then, say, developing a proficient forward stroke. The other hindrance will probably be the fact that my 'yak is pretty high-volume and feels like it rides on the water rather then in it. But I guess the only way to tell is to give it a shot!

This week looks tough for me to get to either Walden or Chebacco, but I'll get there eventually!

Thanks for all the kind words of welcome!

~Chris

I have no doubt that learning to roll will be a much more complex skill then, say, developing a proficient forward stroke.

Actually, I think the forward stroke is far more difficult to master than rolling. It is no small matter to develop an excellent forward stroke. I would even hazard a guess than more paddlers can roll than have a excellent forward stroke, but maybe that is because I still struggle with it.

But I guess the only way to tell is to give it a shot!

Exactly. Just go have fun playing about with you boat trying stuff.

One small hint...torso rotation is a critical part of nearly every aspect of paddling. Learn to rotate your torso, which is not just moving your shoulders, and everything becomes easier.

Ed Lawson