waterproof camera ?

so i am going to buy a new camera....the one i have is kaput AND it was always too bulky for practical kayak use anyway. the thing i especially didn't like about it was the shutter lag...seemed to take FOREVER to actually "click" and take the shot and by the time it did, all too often the action had passed.

i've heard some pretty good things from folks about the olympus 8010....any other suggestions? thoughts? experiences?

thanks

post-101549-1279766412_thumb.jpgI have an Olympus StylusTough 8000. it is EXCELLENT resolution, fast shutter and SUPER DURABLE. I take it with me where ever I go - it is a tank. My second one - first one croaked scuba diving when it took it far too deep. I have some Gorilla Arms that wrap around the deck cords of my kayak and it stays there while I paddle through waves. I highly recommend this camera! Attached is a photo I took this weekend from the deck of my boat. Totally MARVY!!!

Stew

so i am going to buy a new camera....the one i have is kaput AND it was always too bulky for practical kayak use anyway. the thing i especially didn't like about it was the shutter lag...seemed to take FOREVER to actually "click" and take the shot and by the time it did, all too often the action had passed.

i've heard some pretty good things from folks about the olympus 8010....any other suggestions? thoughts? experiences?

thanks

The Panasonic Lumix DMC TS2 is a really nice camera. I gave Bob one last year for his birthday and the picture quality is excellent as is the video you can shoot.

Only problem is the price. However, it's sturdy, fits in the pocket of the PFD and is easy to use.

Deb M

I pored over reviews pretty thoroughly and picked the Canon D10 as best all around. Its major drawback is a bit of bulk, though it still seems to fit in a pfd pocket.

I haven't used it much yet, however, so letcha know later how it works out.

--David.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC TS2 is a really nice camera. I gave Bob one last year for his birthday and the picture quality is excellent as is the video you can shoot.

Only problem is the price. However, it's sturdy, fits in the pocket of the PFD and is easy to use.

Deb M

I've got the earlier version -lumix TS1. From a photo and video perspective it's an excellent little camera. Only problem I've had is corrosion and pitting of the aluminum so it's going back under warranty. Seems like even soaking it for 10 minutes in fresh water after use isn't enough to get all the salt out of the nooks and crannies, which then collects on the aluminum as it dries. Which then corrodes the anodized aluminum. I know the newer version comes with a silicone rubber case which might diminish this problem. That said, it does take very nice pictures. There's pictures and a video clip or two of the cohasset wave on my facebook page if you want an example.

Phil

I've got the earlier version -lumix TS1. From a photo and video perspective it's an excellent little camera. Only problem I've had is corrosion and pitting of the aluminum so it's going back under warranty. Seems like even soaking it for 10 minutes in fresh water after use isn't enough to get all the salt out of the nooks and crannies, which then collects on the aluminum as it dries. Which then corrodes the anodized aluminum. I know the newer version comes with a silicone rubber case which might diminish this problem. That said, it does take very nice pictures. There's pictures and a video clip or two of the cohasset wave on my facebook page if you want an example.

Phil

Whoops, Bob has the Panasonic TS1, which came out last year. The TS2 is the new one.

Thanks for the heads up on the corrosion. Bob's been trying to get a silicon case like I have for my Optio60, but it appears to be a no-go, or a no-go on Amazon. He's really good about rinsing the camera and hasn't had any issues, but there's always a first time....

Still pricey but worth it.

Deb M

Sony has entered the market of shockproof, waterproof cameras. I do not know anything about this specific camera, but have been impressed with the lens quality in the higher end Sony point and shoot cameras. It has Carl Ziess aspherical lenses which traditionally are excellent lenses.

This is their latest entry and I haven't come across a bad review of it yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/sonys-w...to-review-scru/

I myself recently picked up an Olympus 850SW at one of the LL Bean outlet stores for a little over $200. Reasonably happy with it, but looking at the shots from the top of the line Olympus camera that some others in the club have, I would say mine is a step down in image quality from theirs.

There's the "government issue" Optio W20. Seems like I saw maybe 10 of them at the solstice paddle. I have one, it has good optics and lots of features. Here's a time lapse of tides going in and out I shot with mine:

In the words of Timex "It takes a licking and comes up ticking" - sturdy lil bugger.

Olympus 8010 is what I use.

This is my second Olympus. Had some interest in others but most do not have automatic lens covers except the the Canon, I believe.

This new 8010 is extremely rugged. I beat on it constantly. Other than a grain of sand making it's way into my shutter button when I had a surprise visit to the ocean floor, I have no complaints.

To fix the sand issue I simply ran it under light flowing warm water an depressed the button about 10-15 times. This apparently either ground it to dust or it worked it's way out.

I rinse it after every paddle and open an close the lens cover under water 3 or 4 times and dry it after.

I did a lot of online research, looking at comparisons between the Optio, Olympus, Canon, and Panasonic offerings at every review site I could find. I was replacing an Optio W40 which had itself been a replacement for the W30. The olympus and optio dropped out of my consideration because the image quality was just not up to par. I narrowed it down to the Canon D10 and the Panasonic ts2, both of which have excellent image quality and good waterproofness. The deciding factors for me were the freeze resistance of the Panasonic (for skiing), the enhanced gasket locks (after 2 cameras that ultimately failed at gaskets), and the HD video capacity (vs Canon's lesser quality video).

I've only had it a week or so, and took it out on the water twice, but I'm well pleased with the quality of the photos and video, and am enjoying the improved design that makes shooting video so much easier than it was with the optio. The viewfinder is very bright too, so no trouble viewing in bright sun.

It's a pricey little camera but Amazon has a good deal on it and they offer a package with a 5 gig card and a spare battery for less than the retail cost of the camera alone.

Be aware that the video it shoots is in AVCHD lite format. You will need to convert it to .avi or .wmv or .mp4 in order to edit it or upload to some sites. VoltaicHD does the job.

Kate

I did a lot of online research, looking at comparisons between the Optio, Olympus, Canon, and Panasonic offerings at every review site I could find. I was replacing an Optio W40 which had itself been a replacement for the W30. The olympus and optio dropped out of my consideration because the image quality was just not up to par. I narrowed it down to the Canon D10 and the Panasonic ts2, both of which have excellent image quality and good waterproofness. The deciding factors for me were the freeze resistance of the Panasonic (for skiing), the enhanced gasket locks (after 2 cameras that ultimately failed at gaskets), and the HD video capacity (vs Canon's lesser quality video).

I've only had it a week or so, and took it out on the water twice, but I'm well pleased with the quality of the photos and video, and am enjoying the improved design that makes shooting video so much easier than it was with the optio. The viewfinder is very bright too, so no trouble viewing in bright sun.

It's a pricey little camera but Amazon has a good deal on it and they offer a package with a 5 gig card and a spare battery for less than the retail cost of the camera alone.

Be aware that the video it shoots is in AVCHD lite format. You will need to convert it to .avi or .wmv or .mp4 in order to edit it or upload to some sites. VoltaicHD does the job.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Panasonic was my second choice. The video seemed better from what I read and I certainly like the Leica lens. Does it have a retractable lens cover? That was an important factor to me in a wet environment. Nothing worse than getting a droplet of water on the lens and having the next 50 shots with water orbs. On what do you base your opinion about image quality with respect to the Olympus 8010? It has never been an issue with me. These really are not high end cameras. One should be happy to get a couple of years with them before they are obsolete. I still wouldn't mind taking the Panasonic ts2 out for a spin.

Hi Kate,

Panasonic was my second choice. The video seemed better from what I read and I certainly like the Leica lens. Does it have a retractable lens cover? That was an important factor to me in a wet environment. Nothing worse than getting a droplet of water on the lens and having the next 50 shots with water orbs. On what do you base your opinion about image quality with respect to the Olympus 8010? It has never been an issue with me. These really are not high end cameras. One should be happy to get a couple of years with them before they are obsolete. I still wouldn't mind taking the Panasonic ts2 out for a spin.

After seeing the photos you take, Doug, I was happy to read that Panasonic was your second choice.

I don't know if it has a retractable lens cover -- the camera is in Ireland with Bob right now but coming home tomorrow -- but I do know the picture quality is definitely better than my Pentax OptionW60. I know when and if my Pentax goes to the great camera store in the sky, I'll probably ask for a Panasonic.

The best camera that I've found, though, is the Nikon D90. However, this one isn't allowed any where near the water although, for a few hundred dollars you can buy a waterproof housing for it... :P

Deb M

After seeing the photos you take, Doug, I was happy to read that Panasonic was your second choice.

I don't know if it has a retractable lens cover -- the camera is in Ireland with Bob right now but coming home tomorrow -- but I do know the picture quality is definitely better than my Pentax OptionW60. I know when and if my Pentax goes to the great camera store in the sky, I'll probably ask for a Panasonic.

The best camera that I've found, though, is the Nikon D90. However, this one isn't allowed any where near the water although, for a few hundred dollars you can buy a waterproof housing for it... :P

Deb M

I like my Nikon D100 as well but way too bulky and expensive for my kayak pics. It's all about size and speed to pull the camera out within seconds, take the shot & return it to my vest with one hand as I paddle brace with the other. Nikon makes a great camera and I can still use my old nikor lenses on the new digital body. Sorry... getting off subject.

I like my Nikon D100 as well but way too bulky and expensive for my kayak pics. It's all about size and speed to pull the camera out within seconds, take the shot & return it to my vest with one hand as I paddle brace with the other. Nikon makes a great camera and I can still use my old nikor lenses on the new digital body. Sorry... getting off subject.

I have had an Optio W60 for about a year. It takes great pic & I have had no problems. This is a great site for reviews http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Hi Kate,

Sorry, was out of town and didn't see this until today.

The panasonic does not have a retractable cover (neither did the optios). Yes, sometimes water droplets are a problem, but I keep the camera tucked between myself and the pfd so usually water doesn't get splashed on the lens. If it does, I can dip it and shake it. The optio had a layer of something on the lens glass that helped it shed water, and it did seem to work. Not sure if the panasonic has this or not.

The image quality was not my opinion, it was that of several reviewers. Some did detailed studies of the major waterproof cams and compared them under controlled conditions, taking shots of the same object at various ISO settings, then blowing them up to look at pixelation. Also color exactness was tested. Several reviewers did amazingly exhaustive comparisons. The Canon and Panasonic were neck and neck for image quality. Sorry to say, the Optio and Olympus were far behind for that specific quality. The Olympus in particular had very long shutter lag, which is a killer for action sports shots.

Quickly searching, here's one such site (it includes the Casio and excludes the Oly), but if you google you'll find others:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/P...eview-21646.htm

and another on the Oly:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_olympus_1080

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366350,00.asp

Et cetera.

They are just p&s, but I tend to use my waterproof cams more than my fancier cams simply because they can go where I go. So I wanted what worked best - for me. Your choices obviously may differ. If you are happy with the Olympus, all's well!

Kate

The Canon and Panasonic were neck and neck for image quality. Sorry to say, the Optio and Olympus were far behind for that specific quality.

DPreview.com's review of a wide set of cameras (they have the Olympus 8000, but not the 8010) suggested that in good light the Optio W60 is nearly as good on image quality as the better cameras. The W80 was considerably worse. For typical outdoor photography, I've been quite happy with the W60 quality, but those reviews would make me shy away from the W80 (which has higher resolution) and the Olympus 8000. I don't know if the Olympus 8010 is any better.

For me, the reason to get the W60 is the optical zoom range. I had a W20 which had less and it bothered me. The W60 is much better in this regard, though I still often want more.

Sorry, was out of town and didn't see this until today.

The panasonic does not have a retractable cover (neither did the optios). Yes, sometimes water droplets are a problem, but I keep the camera tucked between myself and the pfd so usually water doesn't get splashed on the lens. If it does, I can dip it and shake it. The optio had a layer of something on the lens glass that helped it shed water, and it did seem to work. Not sure if the panasonic has this or not.

The image quality was not my opinion, it was that of several reviewers. Some did detailed studies of the major waterproof cams and compared them under controlled conditions, taking shots of the same object at various ISO settings, then blowing them up to look at pixelation. Also color exactness was tested. Several reviewers did amazingly exhaustive comparisons. The Canon and Panasonic were neck and neck for image quality. Sorry to say, the Optio and Olympus were far behind for that specific quality. The Olympus in particular had very long shutter lag, which is a killer for action sports shots.

Quickly searching, here's one such site (it includes the Casio and excludes the Oly), but if you google you'll find others:.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/P...eview-21646.htm

and another on the Oly:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_olympus_1080

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366350,00.asp

Et cetera.

They are just p&s, but I tend to use my waterproof cams more than my fancier cams simply because they can go where I go. So I wanted what worked best - for me. Your choices obviously may differ. If you are happy with the Olympus, all's well!

Kate

Kate,

I think I will try the Panasonic next because yes the "shutter lag" on my 8010 is aggravating. Powering up is also slow. I am concerned with water getting on my lens during storage but if I'm more careful, I think a faster power up, Leica lens and lack of lag does surpass the protective lens cover. I have a Leica Camera and just love the lens quality. I don't think any camera is perfect but I think you just cost me $300 for a new camera..... soon

Doug

I used the 8010 and a 8000 on a recent expedition. The 8010 picture quality is improved but it very noticeably depleted the battery faster than the 8000. (same battery for both cameras)

The video quality was markedly superior in the 8010 when compared to the 8000. Both cameras dealt with a lot of abuse, fine sand and an absence of daily rinsing for a month.

Can't really complain about either one too much.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Phil

Just wanted to add that I finally sent my TS-1 in for warranty service after the corrosion got the better of it, and Panasonic replaced it with the new TS-2. Can't argue for better customer service.

Phil

Is anyone considering or currently owning the Garmin Oregon 550t? The built in camera will allow you to geotag your GPS track. It looks like it will fit in most PFD pockets and should be waterproof if the advertisement is correct.

Warren

Just wanted to add that I finally sent my TS-1 in for warranty service after the corrosion got the better of it, and Panasonic replaced it with the new TS-2. Can't argue for better customer service.

Phil

Great to hear that, Phil. Bob's TS-1 is holding up really well but it's good to know that Panasonic is a good company to deal with.

Bob shot some rolling videos this weekend and is very pleased with the results, but then the camera performed pretty much as expected.

Deb

Great to hear that, Phil. Bob's TS-1 is holding up really well but it's good to know that Panasonic is a good company to deal with.

Bob shot some rolling videos this weekend and is very pleased with the results, but then the camera performed pretty much as expected.

Deb

It looks like Olympus may have a way to prevent the water spots on our lenses in the future:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...sl=ja&tl=en

-Jason

Wow isn't technology great? I would imagine that the surface tension in water from rain might be different from salt water. I hope they can shake off both.

The article mentions sea water, but we will see what they bring to market (if it ever makes it to market).