handheld VHF marine radio

dwman53

Looking to gather suggestions, commentary and/or recommendations as I'm looking into purchasing a handheld VHF radio

Appreciate your feedback

Thanks

Doug ( the other Doug)

Looking to gather suggestions, commentary and/or recommendations as I'm looking into purchasing a handheld VHF radio

Pay attention to battery replacement cost. It varies significantly.

You will probably get a "water proof" radio, but consider getting a waterproof case anyway. I use and like the Aquapac Small VHF PRO

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/small-vhf-p...225-1136-0.html

Though I have not tried any other cases, as this was one of the few cases that would fit my "floating" radio. From what I have read, even "water proof" radios are not really designed for the challenges of kayaking, and I want my radio to work when I need it, and to last a long time. The case also keeps the sand and other grit away from the radio, and makes post paddle cleanup simple, and less urgent.

Personally, I currently want my VHF radio to substitute for a PLB. So I wanted a radio with an integrated GPS and DSC support. That narrowed the field way down. I ended up getting a Standard Horizon HX850S on close out shortly after they introduced the HX851.

http://standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...mp;isArchived=0

It is not perfect, but I like my Aquapac Small VHF PRO case with Standard Horizon HX850S combination. I had to remove the belt clip from the radio for it to fit in the case, because the radio "floats" it is a bit large. I also can not operate the Mayday button intentionally or by accident while the radio is in the case, but I can still send DSC pan-pan and securite, or could simply remove the radio from the case if I really wanted to send a true automated Mayday.

I've noticed that the HX850S's squelch will not silence as many nearby conversations as some of my companion's radios. I'm not sure if that is a feature or a fault.

I think I may have already replied on the NESP Message board on your question but for those here on NSPN my favorite VHF is the iCom M72. It's the most waterproof and has the highest power 6Wats and longest Battery Life of any of the other iCom models and for that matter probably others on the market.

iCom M72 sold at West Marine

Play the video from the link above for more info.

Marine Electronics

Review of iCom M72

Neil :jenni:

A few random thoughts in no particular order.

Don't select a radio on the basis of power, floating, battery life, "nifty" features, etc.

All the good radios are roughly equal in performance and battery life. If you look at all the reviews on the website Neil listed you can check out models of interest.

Do select a radio based on how it fits your hand, how easy the controls are to use with thick neoprene gloves on, how easy it is for you to see the display, how well it seems to pick up WX stations as that is a rough test of sensitivity you can make in a store, how loud and clear the audio is, look at the manual to see how easy it is to use various features.

Radio choice seems a rather personal matter and some have very strongly held views regarding some models and brands. Both Icom and Standard make nice radios, there are exceptions, and in particular some of the lower priced Standards (270SX/280SX) are very tough and have excellent performance, but tend to be more "brick" like than say the Icom M72 which is a great radio. If you want to wear the radio on the PFD shoulder strap as many in NSPN do, then size is important and the M88 seems popular amongst that group.

Ed Lawson

A few random thoughts in no particular order.

Don't select a radio on the basis of power, floating, battery life, "nifty" features, etc.

All the good radios are roughly equal in performance and battery life. If you look at all the reviews on the website Neil listed you can check out models of interest.

Do select a radio based on how it fits your hand, how easy the controls are to use with thick neoprene gloves on, how easy it is for you to see the display, how well it seems to pick up WX stations as that is a rough test of sensitivity you can make in a store, how loud and clear the audio is, look at the manual to see how easy it is to use various features.

Radio choice seems a rather personal matter and some have very strongly held views regarding some models and brands. Both Icom and Standard make nice radios, there are exceptions, and in particular some of the lower priced Standards (270SX/280SX) are very tough and have excellent performance, but tend to be more "brick" like than say the Icom M72 which is a great radio. If you want to wear the radio on the PFD shoulder strap as many in NSPN do, then size is important and the M88 seems popular amongst that group.

Ed Lawson

Thanks for the info, looks like I'm going to spend some time @ West Marine to check out all of your suggestions

Doug W