THURSDAY PADDLE July 22

subaruguru

Thursday's forecast seems to be the pick o' the week.

Anyone up for an L3 out of Tuck's Point, c. 11AM meet-up, 11:30 BIB?

Agenda's open to all ideas. I'd like to see some seals again....

Lisa, CONGRATS! You recovering well? How'd you do, Leon?

Ern

Lisa, CONGRATS! You recovering well?

Thanks, Ern, Yes! A little Tylenol and all is well. But no matter how hard I try, there is no keeping up with the Schtarker. Ugh. It was a great time - very smooth, great conditions, no complaints.

Lisa

Ern

Can't make it Ern, as discussed (via private e-mail to you) I'm doing a high-speed run Thursday to train for the Mayor's Cup race next month.

I had trouble keeping up with that Schtarker guy myself. It was a tie at 3:31:26.

Ern

98% sure I will be there. Thanks for organizing this.

Al

98% sure I will be there. Thanks for organizing this.

Hi Al,

I hope it stays at only 2% after you read my last trip report....

I was thinking about also posting same for TOMORROW Tuesday as weather's clearing. Anyone else up for TUESDAY, as well perhaps Thursday, Tuck's Point 11AM?

Ern

[quote name=

I was thinking about also posting same for TOMORROW Tuesday as weather's clearing. Anyone else up for TUESDAY, as well perhaps Thursday, Tuck's Point 11AM?

CONFIRMING:

I'll be at Tuck's Point TUESDAY 11AM as well. RSVP if joining in.

Ern

[quote name=

CONFIRMING:

I'll be at Tuck's Point TUESDAY 11AM as well. RSVP if joining in.

Ern

I'm in.

Hi Les & Konstantin,

Current forecast shows winds at 15 knots. You ok with this in the ski, Les? I was unclear re your comment.

Konstantin, as a beginner, maybe you should wait for an L2 or mellower paddle. This will be a solid L3

paddle, approaching L4 possibly for distance, winds or chop.

Ern

Hi Les & Konstantin,

Current forecast shows winds at 15 knots. You ok with this in the ski, Les? I was unclear re your comment.

Konstantin, as a beginner, maybe you should wait for an L2 or mellower paddle. This will be a solid L3

paddle, approaching L4 possibly for distance, winds or chop.

Ern

I am a newbie to the group - can I join for a paddle sometime? What is an L2,L3,L4? Is Tucks Point the Manchester Tucks Point?

Stew

Hey Ern,

I'm a strong maybe. Wind gusts may be 20K on Thursday. I have but one caveat: make sure the wind is at our backs on the return! Went surfing tonight with Sid and Rob at Seabrook. Forget rescue practice in the lake or the salt, just go surf and there will be plenty of real scenarios for rescue. Between the three of us boats were over almost 10X. Several rolls, reenter and roll, three assisted with one involving a contact tow out of the surf zone. Me being the swimmer in all three.

Hey Ern,

I'm a strong maybe. Wind gusts may be 20K on Thursday. I have but one caveat: make sure the wind is at our backs on the return! Went surfing tonight with Sid and Rob at Seabrook. Forget rescue practice in the lake or the salt, just go surf and there will be plenty of real scenarios for rescue. Between the three of us boats were over almost 10X. Several rolls, reenter and roll, three assisted with one involving a contact tow out of the surf zone. Me being the swimmer in all three.

I knew you could do it, Gene!

Tentative plan is to head west into the wind, and depending upon chop, maybe visit the usual Islands, etc., then have the wind at our backs home, basically a shorter, gustier and lumpier version of the trip Leon and I did today. I cannot condone newbies hopping on this trip unless it grows large enough that someone wants to lead a beginners' pod, which is VERY unlikely given the forecast.

So sorry, Konstantin and Stew...we'll paddle together another time.

I am a newbie to the group - can I join for a paddle sometime? What is an L2,L3,L4? Is Tucks Point the Manchester Tucks Point?

Stew

Stew,

Welcone to NSPN. Please check the EVENTS AND PLANNING section of our site to see the various paddle difficulty Levels. This particular trip will be an L3+ or possibly L4 trip due to conditions.

If you are a beginner it is STRONGLY suggested that you take advantage of our Skills Sessions.

Indeed, perhaps the Thursday PM session at Chebacco Lake would be fun for you this week.

There you will learn quickly, and as well can be told which Level trips are appropriate for you at this time.

Best,

Ern

Stew,

Welcone to NSPN. Please check the EVENTS AND PLANNING section of our site to see the various paddle difficulty Levels. This particular trip will be an L3+ or possibly L4 trip due to conditions.

If you are a beginner it is STRONGLY suggested that you take advantage of our Skills Sessions.

Indeed, perhaps the Thursday PM session at Chebacco Lake would be fun for you this week.

There you will learn quickly, and as well can be told which Level trips are appropriate for you at this time.

Best,

Ern

I would love to check out Chebacco Skills Sessions, i am pretty sure I know where the put-in place is (most popular boat ramp on chebacco?). I could always use some improvement, especially with learning how to paddle in a group. Mostly a solitary paddler, all my experience is from within 5 miles of the Manchester Harbor by myself. I paddled the Blackburn Race this weekend and finished 15 minutes faster than I did last year and 30 minutes faster than I did the year before that, yet I came in last at a family lake appreciation race (100 yards out, and back) in Eastman, NH. I lost to a child in practically a hollowed-out log. :)

I will try to be there on Thursday evening.

Stew

I would love to check out Chebacco Skills Sessions, i am pretty sure I know where the put-in place is (most popular boat ramp on chebacco?). I could always use some improvement, especially with learning how to paddle in a group. Mostly a solitary paddler, all my experience is from within 5 miles of the Manchester Harbor by myself. I paddled the Blackburn Race this weekend and finished 15 minutes faster than I did last year and 30 minutes faster than I did the year before that, yet I came in last at a family lake appreciation race (100 yards out, and back) in Eastman, NH. I lost to a child in practically a hollowed-out log. :)

I will try to be there on Thursday evening.

Stew

Stew. Welcome to club and congrats on your Blackburn time.

Al

Hi, guys,

I might make it after all - Yay! But I'm really worried about the number of cars here. I count 7 or 8, right? There's no way we can put all those in the "other" lot. All you need is one resident complaining to the police, and all our parking at Tucks will be gone. And someone told Leon that the complaints are starting.

If Leon comes I'll carpool with him, leaving a car at BK's on 128. Are there others of you who can do the same? I guess maybe Al and Tom are, right? Another possibility is the boat ramp near the Police Station, you can buy a parking placard for all year for $15 (in the police station). At least that was the case last year, I haven't checked this year. I would consider that but I don't think I'll have time that morning.

Tom, at long last, I have your buckle and bungee hooks.

Lisa

Hi, guys,

I might make it after all - Yay! But I'm really worried about the number of cars here. I count 7 or 8, right? There's no way we can put all those in the "other" lot. All you need is one resident complaining to the police, and all our parking at Tucks will be gone. And someone told Leon that the complaints are starting.

If Leon comes I'll carpool with him, leaving a car at BK's on 128. Are there others of you who can do the same? I guess maybe Al and Tom are, right? Another possibility is the boat ramp near the Police Station, you can buy a parking placard for all year for $15 (in the police station). At least that was the case last year, I haven't checked this year. I would consider that but I don't think I'll have time that morning.

Lisa

Hi, guys,

Lisa

I am questionable right now. Depends on when a contractor arrives. Tom and I will try to work out something if we are both going.

Al

I am questionable right now. Depends on when a contractor arrives. Tom and I will try to work out something if we are both going.

Al

Al,

I'm already carpooling with Tom, if I don't forget to pick him up!

Lisa,

So far on weekdays a few of us parking in the BACK of the upper lot has been ok. I suggest that if needed a couple of us park in the lower lot. If that's a problem your suggested backups certainly seem indicated. Thanks for reminding us of Tuck's special protocol....

ALL,

Forecast currently predicts WSW winds at 17knots, so according to the "new" interpretation favored at our CAM workshop discussions wherein ANY condition criteria exceeding a trip Level automatically should result in a bump up in level, this trip is technically an L4. Although many of us are used to having to awkwardly parse the gulfs between L2 and L4 with shaded values (+/-, etc.), I can see now why using the higher level is useful to partially assure that standards are

met for paddler ability and safety. Indeed my technical background in measurement sciences leads me to want to expand the system to FIVE levels or at least deliniate half-levels, as I'm now "feeling" caught wondering what the hell I'm doing posting an L4 trip, as I 'd normally want to say L3.5 or L3++. But that's perhaps just a matter of acclimation through experience with the nomenclature as we proceed. Maybe something to talk about tomorrow. I'm trying to be very careful to NOT attract L2-L3 paddlers to a paddle wherein one or several conditions will most likely exceed their experience, especially as I'm not a "strong" L4 paddler myself. This is indeed a CAM trip and not a pro-led training workshop for beginner-intermediates.

I'll check forecast late tonight when I'm back home. Could someone try to check the wave/chop forecast. I realize that's outer buoy specific, but may be useful to know even if we stay along the shore. Of course we'll make final determination onsite live.

Ern

Current forecast is for winds WNW 14-18 kn, low 80s, 1-2' chop.

Currently 17kn, 2ft chop at the buoy.

Trip is still indeed on, as an L4.

Agenda tbd at beach briefing, perhaps including either to hug the coast SW or island hop to the Dry Breakers, etc., as conditions permit. Lunch'll probably be at Misery if it's rough, or Children's if not. Regardless, hope is that we'll have a little help home.

I'll revise forecast and make last call in the morning if necessary.

See ya.

Ern

Ern,

I'm a question mark right now. Mowing my brown Maine lawn has kicked up some miserable allergy. I'll check my pulse in the morning. (Unlike Dick Cheney who has no pulse, literally!)

Ern,

I'm a question mark right now. Mowing my brown Maine lawn has kicked up some miserable allergy. I'll check my pulse in the morning. (Unlike Dick Cheney who has no pulse, literally!)

Try a pair pf Tylenol PM. Dry you out and you'll sleep like a babe.

Hope to see you.

Ern