kayaking near schoodic peninsula, maine

prudenceb

I'm going to be up in Maine in the beginning of August with a friend who's pretty new to kayaking. Can anyone suggest any nice and calm places to paddle in the Schoodic/Winter Harbor area, including where put in's can be found. Island destinations would be nice! Thanks for any advice -

prudence

I'm going to be up in Maine in the beginning of August with a friend who's pretty new to kayaking. Can anyone suggest any nice and calm places to paddle in the Schoodic/Winter Harbor area, including where put in's can be found. Island destinations would be nice!

No personal knowledge of Winter Harbor area.

Dorcas Miller's "Kayaking the Maine Coast" has some info about that area including islands to visit.

Mel and Mark at Carpe Diem Kayaking in Bar Harbor are very nice and knowledgeable folks. I'm sure they would have good suggestions. You could do a great deal worse that paddling with either for a bit to get a feel for the area and to broaden your friend's knowledge and skill.

Might be worthwhile to see what these folks have to say.

http://mdipaddlers.wordpress.com/

Ed Lawson

No personal knowledge of Winter Harbor area.

Dorcas Miller's "Kayaking the Maine Coast" has some info about that area including islands to visit.

Mel and Mark at Carpe Diem Kayaking in Bar Harbor are very nice and knowledgeable folks. I'm sure they would have good suggestions. You could do a great deal worse that paddling with either for a bit to get a feel for the area and to broaden your friend's knowledge and skill.

Might be worthwhile to see what these folks have to say.

http://mdipaddlers.wordpress.com/

Ed Lawson

Thanks - I have the book and will also try the folks at Carpe Diem - prudence

You can launch from the Acadia Natl. Park picnic area (very nice) on Mosquito harbor, near the park entrance on the west side of Schoodic peninsula (Facing Mt Desert Island ). It’s a long carry across a grassy lawn, but puts you in a nice protected area, with options to nudge out of Mosquito Harbor into more open Winter Harbor as conditions dictate.

On the other side of the peninsula, check out Oceanview campground , on the south side of Birch Harbor. They have a kayak launch area, which is a pebbly beach though a long carry at low tide. That gets you out into Birch harbor, and from there you can again venture out, again, as conditions dictate.

Oceanview campground is lovely, one of the nicest low impact campsites on the whole east coast

You probably have to pay a fee, which might or might not be negotiable as the caretaker is a

nice guy, very dedicated to the place.

The future of the place is uncertain, it was sold amidst owner financial woes. For now the new owners have kept it open for one more year. Next year, who knows…

The closer you get to the tip Schoodic peninsula itself, things get… advanced. The tip of the peninsula is a magnet for conditions: the current really moves around the tip of the peninsula during ebb and flood.