ODIORNE POINT to WALLIS SANDS

Doug

Conditions looked awesome. Sorry I missed this one. Had to stay home for the World Cup final. Very ugly match 11 yellow cards. Well I won't miss another trip on the water for four more years now!

Glen, thanks for sending me the video clip of our paddle yesterday. I hope you don't mind but I cut it down to 2 minutes and felt the need to show this to our fellow NSPN'ers. First, I was laughing but became slightly horrified at what I witnessed in this clip. I had to share.

Glen's camera was attached to his vest.

To set the stage, I was up front and Peter was following 25 yards behind me. Glen was on his "6" and must have been lulled into a state of melancholy when all of a sudden:

Glen, thanks for sending me the video clip of our paddle yesterday. I hope you don't mind but I cut it down to 2 minutes and felt the need to show this to our fellow NSPN'ers. First, I was laughing but became slightly horrified at what I witnessed in this clip. I had to share.

To set the stage, I was up front and Peter was following 25 yards behind me. Glen was on his "6" and must have been lulled into a state of melancholy when all of a sudden:

Outstanding lung power Glenn!

It's rumored he rolled up twice.

Watch the section between 30 and 50 secs which is before the "big action". Tells the tale so to speak.

If you go into the area after it breaks, you had better be prepared to pay the piper.

Ed Lawson

Watch the section between 30 and 50 secs which is before the "big action". Tells the tale so to speak.

If you go into the area after it breaks, you had better be prepared to pay the piper.

Ed Lawson

I guess that would be right about the time that Glenn calmly utters "uutoh." Good point Ed.

I guess that would be right about the time that Glenn calmly utters "uutoh."

Notice how our esteemed President knew when and where to go to Get Out of Dodge.

Years and miles of experience in less than calm water no doubt gave him that wisdom/skill.

For me that is the neat thing/teaching moment of the video.

Ed Lawson

Glenn -- a master of the the understated--kept asking him what happened at the PPPO--"rogue wave, had to roll"--never once mentioned how long he was underwater--what a pair of lungs you got, Glenn--admirable--

Les

Glenn -- a master of the the understated--kept asking him what happened at the PPPO--"rogue wave, had to roll"--never once mentioned how long he was underwater--what a pair of lungs you got, Glenn--admirable--

Les

Glenn's a cool customer out on the water.

Glenn's a cool customer out on the water.

The video might be a bit misleading. Glen was toppled by a boomer, and rolled up pretty quickly, before the rest of us knew what had happened. His camera was surely not in his hands during all this (his paddle was!) and must have bounced around underwater on its tether for a little while until Glen was secure enough to take a hand off the paddle and sort out his camera. So the footage suggests that Glen was underwater for a freakish amount of time, where he was probably underwater for only the time he needed for a cool, patient set-up and roll.

Footage does capture the huffing-puffing, gurgling drama of the episode, though.

The video might be a bit misleading. Glen was toppled by a boomer, and rolled up pretty quickly, before the rest of us knew what had happened. His camera was surely not in his hands during all this (his paddle was!) and must have bounced around underwater on its tether for a little while until Glen was secure enough to take a hand off the paddle and sort out his camera. So the footage suggests that Glen was underwater for a freakish amount of time, where he was probably underwater for only the time he needed for a cool, patient set-up and roll.

Footage does capture the huffing-puffing, gurgling drama of the episode, though.

Awe shucks another hero brought down. Now I know why Glenn was so understated in his response to this incident. Well Glenn you're still an awesome rock hopper!

Awe shucks another hero brought down. "by Peter the Hero Slayer" Now I know why Glenn was so understated in his response to this incident. Well Glenn you're still an awesome rock hopper!

Awe shucks another hero brought down

To me rolling right up after suddenly getting knocked down hard is more impressive than being able to stay under and thrash about for awhile until something worked.

Ed Lawson

To me rolling right up after suddenly getting knocked down hard is more impressive than being able to stay under and thrash about for awhile until something worked.

Ed Lawson

Unaware that I had dissed my friend Glen, whose performance was cool and competent throughout. Its just that the video suggests being underwater for something like three minutes, which would not be heroic, but otherworldly.

Unaware that I had dissed my friend Glen, whose performance was cool and competent throughout.

Don't know if in response to my post or not. I meant to say what Peter had described was more impressive than holding breath for a long long time and having to struggle to get up. What Peter indicated was the opposite of dissing in my mind. Difficult paddles achieved and difficulties overcome without drama is a sign of a competent paddler to me.

Ed Lawson

Difficult paddles achieved and difficulties overcome without drama is a sign of a competent paddler to me.

Ed Lawson

Great statement! One for the books... Simply ponderous!

Yikes... I've been in Maine this week with a tweeked out shoulder form my little dumping last Sunday, no internet, but the goosing was not as bad as the video showed. My camera is in a block of foam with velcro on the back which sticks to my PFD. When I was dumped over I tumbled with the wave a bit , BTW,better to surf on top of the wave than in it, catching a breath now and then till things calmed down, then rolled up. The camera was on it's tether in the water. After getting the boat pointed out into the incoming waves and organized again the camera went back on the PFD, and a little.. Whew... . A great day overall. Sorry , no gills yet. B)

Yikes... I've been in Maine this week with a tweeked out shoulder form my little dumping last Sunday, no internet, but the goosing was not as bad as the video showed. My camera is in a block of foam with velcro on the back which sticks to my PFD. When I was dumped over I tumbled with the wave a bit , BTW,better to surf on top of the wave than in it, catching a breath now and then till things calmed down, then rolled up. The camera was on it's tether in the water. After getting the boat pointed out into the incoming waves and organized again the camera went back on the PFD, and a little.. Whew... . A great day overall. Sorry , no gills yet. B)

PS Doug, What is my "6" ?

PS Doug, What is my "6" ?

Glen,

Your "6" is an aviation term for directly behind you. In relationship to the location on a clock.

You were on Peter's 6>> Directly behind him.

Glad your alright pal!

Scott "Frenchy" Lafrance

It refers to using the numbers on a clock to indicate direction from your current heading. 12:00 is directly in front, 3:00 is to your right and 9:00 is to your right. I've only heard it "officially" used in aviation contexts and can be further detailed by also calling out the point of interest to be "high" or "low" if it is above or below you.

If in a bomber in combat, people would call out where attacking fighters were using this terminology. These days, ATC (air traffic control) still uses the clock directions to indicate to pilots where nearby traffic is that they need to see and avoid (or at least be aware of). However, instead of calling out high or low, they will give you the altitude of the other aircraft if they know it.