Solstice Paddle Level 2+

Rob Hazard

We Level 2+ paddlers will be paddling over to Salem Willows and back, weather permitting. We will follow the western shore of Marblehead harbor and round the point then make the crossing to just north of the power plant, then follow the shore again to the landing at The Willows. The trip length is about 8 nm, and we will time it to be back in plenty of time for the fabulous NSPN post-paddle pig-out.

Further details to follow.

Please respond here if you are interested in joining us.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob don't forget to tell folks about the famous Salem Willows Chop Suey Sandwich for a "snack" before the pppo :) If you don't know what that horror of a sandwich is ask Peter!

Too funny! I worked with a guy from Salem who talked about them fondly. I used to think he was making it up. To me it always sounded disgusting.

Too funny! I worked with a guy from Salem who talked about them fondly. I used to think he was making it up. To me it always sounded disgusting.

It doesn't just sound disgusting. It is disgusting.

:toilet_monster:

I may have to buy one and bring it back to the PPPO, just to see the look on people's faces!

LOL oh good I can't wait to see an OLD chop suey sandwich that's been sitting in a day hatch for a few hours! This is going to be awesome!

I'd like to join this trip. How many are we expecting so far?

Probably quite a few, minus of course those who won't return after eating that infamous sandwich.

We Level 2+ paddlers will be paddling over to Salem Willows and back, weather permitting. We will follow the western shore of Marblehead harbor and round the point then make the crossing to just north of the power plant, then follow the shore again to the landing at The Willows. The trip length is about 8 nm, and we will time it to be back in plenty of time for the fabulous NSPN post-paddle pig-out.

Cheers,

Rob

Count me in. See you Sat AM

the other Doug

Well, so far I count 6 in our fleet. Last year I think we had 14, and I suspect we'll be closer to that number by Saturday.

The tide will be LOW at 11:32 AM on Saturday. There is very little current to deal with. So far the weather forecast is for a sunny sky and wind between 5 and 10 mph from the SW.

Maybe we should ALL order those sandwiches and bring them back and make a BIG PILE of them in the middle of the table! YUM YUM! Eat up, you Level 3 hotshots!

Well, so far I count 6 in our fleet. Last year I think we had 14, and I suspect we'll be closer to that number by Saturday.

The tide will be LOW at 11:32 AM on Saturday. There is very little current to deal with. So far the weather forecast is for a sunny sky and wind between 5 and 10 mph from the SW.

Maybe we should ALL order those sandwiches and bring them back and make a BIG PILE of them in the middle of the table! YUM YUM! Eat up, you Level 3 hotshots!

so tell me is it AMERICAN chop suey or Chinese Chop Suey. Just wondering if there will be a vegetarian option:)

And Rob - no groups with 14!!! I would imagine you will subdivide. Of course if you need anyone from the level 3 to help, just give a shout.

Suz

so tell me is it AMERICAN chop suey or Chinese Chop Suey. Just wondering if there will be a vegetarian option:)

And Rob - no groups with 14!!! I would imagine you will subdivide. Of course if you need anyone from the level 3 to help, just give a shout.

Suz

American chop suey is a school cafeteria staple, a mess of noodles and ground beef sauce right? No, this is Chinese chop suey: bean sprouts luminescent with grease and MSG, so soggy as to be dissolving into one another , the whole mess soaking into a limp hot dog bun. (or hamburger bun: I can' t remember, or have made myself forget)

Which compels me to say: NSPN has a tradition of "high culinary standards". Bring good food!

Mr. Hazard has been broken to the saddle of Proper Paddling and needs no lecturing. I'm sure we'll see no L2+ groups of 14 under his iron rule. We have four paddlers ready to lead pods should L2+ turn into a grand affair.:jenni:

American chop suey is aschool cafeteria staple, a mess of noodles and ground beef sauce right? No, this is Chinese chop suey: bean sprouts luminescent with grease and MSG, so soggy as to be dissolving into one another , the whole mess soaking into a limp hot dog bun. (or hamburger bun: I can' t remember, or have made myself forget)

Which compels me to say: NSPN has a tradition of "high culinary standards". Bring good food!

Mr. Hazard has been broken to the saddle of Proper Paddling and needs no lecturing. I'm sure we'll see no L2+ groups of 14 under his iron rule. We have four paddlers ready to lead pods should L2+ turn into a grand affair.

I was wondering, too, if it was Chinese chop suey (which is actually an American invention) or the chop suey that we call goulash in my family and is that old college/high school cafeteria staple.

If it was the latter, it might not be bad on a decent roll -- sort of like having french bread with a pasta dish, but, since it's the former, my stomach just rolled up against my spine and screamed.

Deb M :roll::surfcool:

American chop suey is a school cafeteria staple, a mess of noodles and ground beef sauce right? No, this is Chinese chop suey: bean sprouts luminescent with grease and MSG, so soggy as to be dissolving into one another , the whole mess soaking into a limp hot dog bun. (or hamburger bun: I can' t remember, or have made myself forget)

Mr. Hazard has been broken to the saddle of Proper Paddling and needs no lecturing. I'm sure we'll see no L2+ groups of 14 under his iron rule. We have four paddlers ready to lead pods should L2+ turn into a grand affair.:jenni:

I sincerely HOPE that if the Level 2 and Level 2+ groups attract more than a prudent number of participants, that some of the Level 3 people will volunteer to help out. The groups can be subdivided, but we do need a certain percentage of competent open water paddlers.

Hi Rob,

In response to Peter B’s invitation on the Wild Turkey Paddlers message board, I’m planning on driving up from Norton for the Solstice Paddle on Saturday. Since I haven’t kayaked with your group before, I wanted to check in with you about the trip levels. This is my third year of paddling and I have a 13 foot touring boat marketed by Delta as a small sea kayak. Up until this year, most of my paddling has been with the Boston AMC group and I’ve had lessons in basic strokes, self-rescue, assisted rescue and can perform a wet exit. To date my experience sea kayaking has been in protected spots such as Boothbay Harbor, Buzzards Bay, Essex Bay, and Waquoit Bay. Does the 2+ level sound like the right trip for me? :D

Audrey

Hi Rob,

In response to Peter B’s invitation on the Wild Turkey Paddlers message board, I’m planning on driving up from Norton for the Solstice Paddle on Saturday. Since I haven’t kayaked with your group before, I wanted to check in with you about the trip levels. This is my third year of paddling and I have a 13 foot touring boat marketed by Delta as a small sea kayak. Up until this year, most of my paddling has been with the Boston AMC group and I’ve had lessons in basic strokes, self-rescue, assisted rescue and can perform a wet exit. To date my experience sea kayaking has been in protected spots such as Boothbay Harbor, Buzzards Bay, Essex Bay, and Waquoit Bay. Does the 2+ level sound like the right trip for me? :D

Audrey

Hi Audrey,

The Level 2+ trip will cover about 8 miles, including a couple 1 mile open water crossings at the mouth of Salem harbor. Most of the boats in this group are 16 - 18 ft long and quite narrow, designed to move efficiently on exposed water. Last year we had a squall blow through that gave some of us a challenging return trip from Salem to Marblehead. My gut feeling is that you would be happier in the Level 2 fleet, which will be exploring Marblehead harbor and just sticking their noses out a bit into more open water. I trust you'll come equipped with PFD, spray skirt and wetsuit, as the water is still pretty chilly here.

See you Saturday,

Rob

Hi,

I've been reading the descriptions of the trip levels and would love to join the level 2+ trip (although I'm flexible). I'm a new member and this would be my first outing with the group. This is my second summer paddling (I have an 18' sea kayak). I have some experience in open water as I've done 3 -4 overnights on the maine island trail, and did a self rescue class. If this level of experience seems appropriate I'd love to join you on this trip.

Jessica

Hi Audrey,

The Level 2+ trip will cover about 8 miles, including a couple 1 mile open water crossings at the mouth of Salem harbor. Most of the boats in this group are 16 - 18 ft long and quite narrow, designed to move efficiently on exposed water. Last year we had a squall blow through that gave some of us a challenging return trip from Salem to Marblehead. My gut feeling is that you would be happier in the Level 2 fleet, which will be exploring Marblehead harbor and just sticking their noses out a bit into more open water. I trust you'll come equipped with PFD, spray skirt and wetsuit, as the water is still pretty chilly here.

See you Saturday,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Based upon your recommendation then, I will join the level 2 group.

See you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Audrey

The weather is still predicted to be clear and warm with wind from the South at about 9 increasing to 13 mph, which is right at (or a bit beyond) the upper limit of the Level 2 trip category.

The majority of our planned course will still be in relatively sheltered water, but during the two crossings of the mouth of Salem harbor we will be exposed to beam winds and some chop.

The straightest course would take us from Peaches Point to Juniper Point, a crossing of about 1 1/4 nm. I would prefer to hug the shore a bit more and cross from Fluen Point to Ft Pickering, using Green buoy "21" as a waypoint.This would cut the crossing distance to about 3/4 nm.

If the wind has picked up for our return crossing, I would prefer to hug the west shore of Salem harbor up into the harbor and make the crossing in flatter water. This will increase our total distance but make for easier paddling.

If you have a chart of the area please look it over and double-check my thinking. We will discuss the route at the beach briefing.

Don't forget: wetsuit, sprayskirt, and PFD. Don't leave shore without them!

Cheers,

Rob

I left out an important detail: Launch Time! 10:30

The Level 3 group plans to leave at 10:00. Let's have our gear on the beach ready to launch at 10:15. That way we can have our beach briefing as soon as the Level 3's are gone and we can be on the water by 10:30.

If we have more than 10 boats we can split into 2 groups to keep head counting simple.

See you in the morning!

Rob