Hands Across The Sands

jwhipple

Is there any interest within NSPN (and the rest of the kayaking community, for that matter) in taking part in Hands Across The Sands on June 26? It's a nationwide action to protest offshore oil drilling and the BP oil spill, and to advocate clean energy:

http://handsacrossthesand.org/organize.php...e=Massachusetts

Sounds like a great event. I might just go to the beach to partake as the URL suggests, sans kayak. Would adding the kayak element confuse the response or show support within the kayak community? Good question. Sounds like beaches will be crowded that day for this response, so my tendency would be to partake in a simple way.

Seems like a great idea. There are also events in NH and Maine as well. I just wonder how hard it may be to access legal parking to participate in some of these venues? While kayaks may be inappropriate for this particular event I would like to propose another event where paddlers arrive on mass on private beaches to protest Massachusetts laws regarding the public's rights or lack of same to our shoreline. Some civil disobedience may be required.

I'd show up for that in a heartbeat.

rb

Seems like a great idea. There are also events in NH and Maine as well. I just wonder how hard it may be to access legal parking to participate in some of these venues? While kayaks may be inappropriate for this particular event I would like to propose another event where paddlers arrive on mass on private beaches to protest Massachusetts laws regarding the public's rights or lack of same to our shoreline. Some civil disobedience may be required.

• 2 weeks later...

HANDS ACROSS THE SAND is coming to a beach near you this Saturday, June 26 — please consider setting aside a bit of time at midday on Saturday to participate in this brief protest against offshore oil drilling and the BP oil spill, and to advocate clean energy!

This event is growing like wildfire, it involves all 50 states and some foreign countries at this point. Currently, over a dozen beaches in MA are involved, including these beaches from Boston north: Salisbury Beach, Good Harbor Beach (Gloucester), Kings Beach (Lynn/Swampscott), Preston Beach (Swampscott/Marblehead), Revere Beach, Castle Island (So. Boston). Three in NH, eight in ME, five in RI, 7 in CT, and the list is growing.

Check it out at http://handsacrossthesand.org

Now, be sure not to drive any of those oil-guzzling, polluting, automobiles to this event...

Now, be sure not to drive any of those oil-guzzling, polluting, automobiles to this event...

Well, one way to accelerate the use of alternative energy is to consume as much oil as possible as fast a possible.

Ed Lawson

Well, one way to accelerate the use of alternative energy is to consume as much oil as possible as fast a possible.

Ed Lawson

Realistically, that's the only way it will (and should) happen... when alternatives become economically viable and competitive