CAM Workshop "Moving On the Water Part 2" Update.

PeterB

The CAM workshop will start at 9Am tomorrow morning at the Odiorne Boat Ramp., where Rte 1A intersects Seavey Creek, a short distance from Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne Point.

There may or may not be a fee at the parking lot. Website says 4$, others say 5$, sometimes its staffed, often it isn’t. In any event, arrive with some dollars in the event of a fee.

Be dressed for the day : boat and personal gear ready, at 9AM.

We'll want to get on the water early to benefit from the morning ebb at the bridge by the Wentworth and the mouth of Little Harbor. and have the early part of the day to beat possible weather in the afternoon.

High tide is 5:42 AM , low tide is 1:54 pm: morning ebb, afternoon flood.

It’s unlikely we’ll be going far , but plan on being out for the day: water, lunch, sunblock, insect repellant and personal items.

Make sure to bring towbelts and helmets, if you have them.

Dress for the water.

We’ll all meet together for a while, and break into groups.

Presenters will be Rick Stoehrer, Scott Camlin, Rick Crangle, Jason Kates, and Peter Brady. We will be there.

It’ll be a good day for weather,trip and tidal planning, along with what we practiced two weeks ago at Marblehead. There’ll be some tidal current inside Little Harbor at the bridge to New Castle Island, also at the mouth of , and outside, Little Harbor.

Looking forward to being together on the water.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...mp;t=h&z=18

SYNOPSIS FOR STONINGTON ME TO MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT TO 25 NM...

... HIGH PRES WILL CROSS THE WATERS ON FRI. A SLOW MOVING FRONTAL BOUNDARY WILL DRAPE ITSELF ACROSS THE WATERS AND A RIPPLE OF LOW PRESSURE WILL RUN ALONG THE BOUNDARY THROUGH LATE SUNDAY. HIGH PRESSURE WILL APPROACH THE WATERS SUNDAY NIGHT AND MOVE ACROSS THE WATERS EARLY NEXT WEEK.

CAPE ELIZABETH ME TO MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT TO 25 NM-

929 AM EDT FRI JUN 4 2010

REST OF TODAY... S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM IN ANY PATCHY FOG.

TONIGHT... S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. PATCHY FOG. SHOWERS LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. VSBY VARIABLE TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE.

SAT... SW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. SHOWERS AND TSTMS LIKELY. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

SAT NIGHT... W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING N 5 TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

I'd like to participate even though I couldn't make the prior session.

I haven't paddled on the North Shore yet this season, so I'm not sure what are the water temperatures there right now. I'd like to avoid my drysuit and wetsuit if possible but have no idea if that is realistic. The NOAA site I go to for water temperature information doesn't help when the two closest stations are:

Portland: 54.0 degrees (too cold for me without a wetsuit)

Boston: 80.4 degrees (would be warm enough if it wasn't obviously incorrect)

I'd like to participate even though I couldn't make the prior session.

I haven't paddled on the North Shore yet this season, so I'm not sure what are the water temperatures there right now. I'd like to avoid my drysuit and wetsuit if possible but have no idea if that is realistic. The NOAA site I go to for water temperature information doesn't help when the two closest stations are:

Water temp at the wall , hampton beach is 56 today according to the local surf shop website.

I would be expecting to spend some time in the water tomorrow.

Water temp at the wall , hampton beach is 56 today according to the local surf shop website.

I would be expecting to spend some time in the water tomorrow.

Thanks. Wetsuit it is.

The NOAA site I go to for water temperature information doesn't help when the two closest stations are:

Try this site and check Buoy B

http://www.gomoos.org/data/recent.html

My SWAG is that water in places which get flushed and refilled like the Little Harbor area tend to be colder than you might expect and colder than the buoy data would suggest. Or at least it seems that way at times.

Ed Lawson

SAT... SW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. SHOWERS AND TSTMS LIKELY. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

Are we still on?

Ern

Are we still on?

Ern

Yes, we're on. Part of smart CAM paddling is learning how to make a good assessment on the beach, come up with a good plan, observe during the trip and be prepared to make smart, timely decisions while on the water. Can't think of a better way to get that experience than to do it live.

So whether we're out for the day or an hour, class will definitely be in session tomorrow.

And no, we're not planning to get hit by lightening.

Scott

Sorry I didn't make it. I was locked out of this site this morning (first time ever), so I couldn't see the latest posts that it was still on. It was very very nasty driving out of Ipswich, though I knew it would probably clear later. I decided to abort due to various circumstances at home.

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't make it either, for the same reasons as the above post :-( ANd the weather hasn't been as bad as NOAA predicted...

Katherine

Sorry that we didn't make it, but the drive time versus weather balance at 6am argued for a different venue. Glad the weather held out for you. Had some fun on the ww playwave in the afternoon.

Phil