The next full moon...

Pintail

...is on 26th June, which falls on a Wednesday (Damn! But that's do-able, I daresday?) Those who wish to paddle that period should start thinking about it now -- on what day/night exactly do we wish to venture out? <Usually> I prefer a weekend; but am open to any night.

I want to paddle any night I can, really, and I know there will be others who feel same way (Liz Neumeier, for instance). At some later stage, we'll also plan a nocturnal circumnavigation of the Cape, I think...

Actually, sir godfrey, i believe that the 26th is on a saturday this year...perhaps i'm mistaken, but i'm willing to wager a beer or my firstborn or something of equal value.

In any case, i'm in provided that i'm in town.

Thank you, Sir Jeffrey: I see that you are, indeed, quite correct! I suspect that I turned a page too much on the calendar, jumping to July instead...

Oh, good-ee! That should mean we can expect a decent crowd (well, enough to prove interesting, let's say) -- so weather permitting, there will be a paddle that evening: at very least, I know that Phil, Lorrie and myself shall be present (unless there is a passing hurricane)! Liz Neumeier will be back from darkest Africa and will be able to regale us with stories about World Kak! B)

Maybe we'll lure the Casey back out -- and what about the Lawsons and the Condon?

I'm in. Unless I'm out...

rb

Thank you, Sir Jeffrey: I see that you are, indeed, quite correct! I suspect that I turned a page too much on the calendar, jumping to July instead...

Oh, good-ee! That should mean we can expect a decent crowd (well, enough to prove interesting, let's say) -- so weather permitting, there will be a paddle that evening: at very least, I know that Phil, Lorrie and myself shall be present (unless there is a passing hurricane)! Liz Neumeier will be back from darkest Africa and will be able to regale us with stories about World Kak! B)

Maybe we'll lure the Casey back out -- and what about the Lawsons and the Condon?

Wow, this looks as though it is shaping up to be a well-attended party!

Of course there has been no mention of any itinerary: let's wait until closer to the time to see how the wx. f/c will be. If the prognosis is good, then perhaps we should do something similar to the last one, with a picnic involved over on Cranes or Coffins? (Not too much sitting around, however -- please?)

Off topic, but related as in advance planning.

If I have used the tables correctly, big if, on June 26 the moon will rise around 1945 at 137 degrees magnetic and will not get much more than 20 degrees above horizon.

Anyone know if that is in ballpark?

Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Off topic, but related as in advance planning.

If I have used the tables correctly, big if, on June 26 the moon will rise around 1945 at 137 degrees magnetic and will not get much more than 20 degrees above horizon.

Anyone know if that is in ballpark?

Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Hmmm...I see moonrise at 2046. I don't have a clue about the rest of it though. What table do you use Ed?

Hmmm...I see moonrise at 2046. I don't have a clue about the rest of it though. What table do you use Ed?

You are correct, and I am wrong. The tables I was using are not adjusted for daylight saving time.

I was looking at: http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical...vices/alt-az-us

I was using Harpswell, ME as I need to be up there for a paddle during the day on the 26th and was planning on "paddling in spirit" that night up there. Seems I would roughly have moonlight over my shoulder going out to Jewell or Half Way Rock or some such insanity.

Ed Lawson

Is the light in operation? If so it would be easy to keep your bearing, though the several miles are a bit of a stretch for a nighttime excursion, I suppose. Had a very cool interesting experience with a curious seal some years ago, showed a particular interest in my (deck bungied) radio. So much like a dog they can seem.

Is the light in operation? If so it would be easy to keep your bearing,

It is in operation as a flashing red. The question is more about picking a route for watching the moon rise and the direction of the moonlight for having a clue about ledges and sea state than any concern about keeping a bearing. We're always lost and aimlessly wandering about anyway.

Ed Lawson

Plan on attending. Any talk of itinerary? The customary Greasy Pole to Dogbar jaunt?

Not a good plan for this weekend as Fiesta is in full swing. I recommend avoiding Gloucester Harbor unless, of course, you want to watch the greasy pole contest or seine boat races - always a delight. :-)) Liz

I will be at whatever location Christopher posts.