The Last Injustice, or is it my age?

Ken C

:o Having just ordered some hatch covers i noticed what i consider the final injustice!!! At first I thought I had misread! But sadly NO! It's official, there is no more justice in the Kayak world!!! The Anas Acuta is now available with a Keyhole Cockpit :mellow: First the Pintail, and now this!!

It must be my age :D

:o Having just ordered some hatch covers i noticed what i consider the final injustice!!! At first I thought I had misread! But sadly NO! It's official, there is no more justice in the Kayak world!!! The Anas Acuta is now available with a Keyhole Cockpit :mellow: First the Pintail, and now this!!

it's not your age. It's the Decline of Civilization.

I demoed the AA with the keyhole cockpit last weekend in NH. Must say, SWEET!

Not that I would buy a keyhole version over an OC version, but the experience of paddling the keyhole version did not seem much different from the OC when I tried one. I remember being rather surprised by that impression which was contrary to my expectation. I suspect for a person used to a keyhole, it would be "just right" in all the ways an AA is just right even when it is all wrong.

Ed Lawson

I've paddled the AA and a few others with keyholes. The keyhole is clearly easier to get in and out of. However, I prefer the ocean cockpit for paddling. I like having support all the way across the front with no opportunity to have a thigh slip from under a support with things get bumpy and upside down.

Since I intend to spend LOT more time paddling than getting in and out of the kayak, I prefer the ocean cockpit.

I also tend to feel that a large spray skirt takes up space and creates a feeling of clutter on my front deck. Some may suggest that I'm irrational on that one. ;)

Cheers!

Ty

Definitely.

Emilie

Thomas Cole’s series: “The Course of Empireâ€

1. “Pastoral (or Arcadian) State†when the world was young and simple. Corresponds with the exclusive use of skin on frame kayaks and skinny paddles.

2. “Civilization: (Consummation)†This corresponds to the creation of the Anas acuta and Pintail with ocean cockpits : the flowering of civilization

3. “Destruction†This corresponds with the appearance of keyhole cockpits in the Anas and Pintail. : the onset of decay and destruction. .

4. “Decadenceâ€

At this time, we probably reside in a stage somewhere between “3†and "4"

post-100369-1275081549_thumb.jpg

Interesting one word essay required to gain admission to the prestigious All Souls College (Oxford).

see:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/world/europe/28oxford.html?scp=1&sq=All%20Souls&st=cse

The one word essay has been suspended; to bad, methinks Professor Brady would have no trouble gaining admission thereby.

Guest Nancy

Is is another example of the homogenization of the world. Sad.

-Nancy

Thomas Cole’s series: “The Course of Empireâ€

1. “Pastoral (or Arcadian) State†when the world was young and simple. Corresponds with the exclusive use of skin on frame kayaks and skinny paddles.

2. “Civilization: (Consummation)†This corresponds to the creation of the Anas acuta and Pintail with ocean cockpits : the flowering of civilization

3. “Destruction†This corresponds with the appearance of keyhole cockpits in the Anas and Pintail. : the onset of decay and destruction. .

4. “Decadenceâ€

At this time, we probably reside in a stage somewhere between “3†and "4"

post-100369-1275081549_thumb.jpg

You all are too funny.

I've paddled the AA and a few others with keyholes. The keyhole is clearly easier to get in and out of. However, I prefer the ocean cockpit for paddling. I like having support all the way across the front with no opportunity to have a thigh slip from under a support with things get bumpy and upside down.

Since I intend to spend LOT more time paddling than getting in and out of the kayak, I prefer the ocean cockpit.

My sentiments exactly. In some ways, the keyhole cockpit is a metaphor for American attitudes in general, that minor convenience takes precedence over function and we've lost our understanding of what's really important. :huh:

I also tend to feel that a large spray skirt takes up space and creates a feeling of clutter on my front deck. Some may suggest that I'm irrational on that one. ;)

For me, it's not clutter, but the wasted "real estate" on the foredeck. That space that's wasted with a huge spray skirt is the perfect place for a chart case and a contact tow.

you folks need to get over it...

Fact is, if I want to paddle an Anas, my only option is the keyhole version. At 6'-3" I can't get into any of the smaller Greenland style boats with ocean cockpits without scraping my kneecaps off.

Jon

Fact is, if I want to paddle an Anas, my only option is the keyhole version. At 6'-3" I can't get into any of the smaller Greenland style boats with ocean cockpits without scraping my kneecaps off.

Have you actually tried an ocean cockpit AA or Pintail? I've got a 35" inseam and not only can I slide right in, but I actually pad the foredeck down 3" on both my AA and Pintail. There are a lot of other people's SOFs that I can't get into and the Nordkapp with an ocean cockpit is problematic due to its high aft deck, but the AA and Pintail are easy to get into compared to most others and quite roomy once you're in.

I don't know if I'd be okay with an ocean cockpit but I'm pretty sure I would not be able to raise my knees from time to time as I now need to keep the sciatica at bay. I could see that someone a bit less supple than another would be intimidated by or downright unfit for an ocean cockpit. As this is mostly light-hearted banter its also to pertinent to point out that the failure to recognize the reasons why a keyhole is offered is outright curmudeonry.

And Ken, it is your age.

I don't know if I'd be okay with an ocean cockpit but I'm pretty sure I would not be able to raise my knees from time to time as I now need to keep the sciatica at bay. I could see that someone a bit less supple than another would be intimidated by or downright unfit for an ocean cockpit. As this is mostly light-hearted banter its also to pertinent to point out that the failure to recognize the reasons why a keyhole is offered is outright curmudeonry.

And Ken, it is your age.

Although my husband, who has an OC Pintail, and I fit very well in ocean cockpit boats and I really like the fit of an OC, it should also be pointed out that Valley, who seems to be the biggest offender, started making the Pintail and the AA with the keyhole for the longer legged, taller or even wider paddler who wanted the playfulness of these boats but wasn't comfortable in them otherwise.

Look at it as a company seeing a need for a keyhole to meet the needs of serious paddlers and not as committing some sort of mortal sin in traditional boat design, or God forbid, pandering to Americans with their seeming need for comfiness at all costs.

Deb M

"Have you actually tried an ocean cockpit AA or Pintail?"

Hi Brian,

Yes I have, I do not fit without scraping my knees; its really tight. I have a 36" inseam and 32 ~ 33 waist; no trouble with the butt, its the legs that hang up. ... unless I can figure out how to hyper extend my knees.

Jon

They will still make you a boat with OC won't they? All you need to say is pretty please and open your wallet a bit more.

"Have you actually tried an ocean cockpit AA or Pintail?"

Hi Brian,

Yes I have, I do not fit without scraping my knees; its really tight. I have a 36" inseam and 32 ~ 33 waist; no trouble with the butt, its the legs that hang up. ... unless I can figure out how to hyper extend my knees.

Jon

They will still make you a boat with OC won't they? All you need to say is pretty please and open your wallet a bit more.

I think Valley still makes both as they presumably have the molds for the OC AA and the Pintail. However, it may not be necessarily so that you would spend more but then it would probably be a custom boat, which means you might wait a bit longer for it to cross the pond.

I'm sure someone will enlighten us on this. ;):D

Deb M

They still make both versions for the same price. Not only that, but my understanding is that they will make the older versions of the AA (flat aft deck) and Pintail (original hull shape, flat aft deck) on special order. In both cases, you'd end up with the superior older design, but with modern construction, which is truly the best of both worlds.

Look at it as a company seeing a need for a keyhole to meet the needs of serious paddlers and not as committing some sort of mortal sin in traditional boat design, or God forbid, pandering to Americans with their seeming need for comfiness at all costs.

Deb M

Stage 4: Sit on Top Anus Acuta.