Looking for Waterproof vhf radio/baby monitor

rossjb1

Looking for combination Waterproof vhf radio/baby monitor. Does this technology exist? Can someone build it? Do they make infant sized dry suits? Are there Coast regs against outfitting the day hatch as a second seat? Will I ever paddle again? :rolleyes:

Ross

MTI makes children's PFD's, Kokatat makes paddling jackets and the Super Nova suit for kids.

I can't help with the baby monitor/VHF but as far as the day hatch modifcations, go for it, it's better than putting her in the rear hatch.

Would a Baby Bjorn interfere with your forward stroke? :haha:

Will I ever paddle again? :rolleyes:

Ross

Well, ocean paddling would be challenging and paddling in any way resembling what you do now would be nearly impossible...but it's possible to at least get on the water with small kids. I had a whitewater kayak until I had a baby... Bought an inflatable (embarrassing YES) (lost most of my kayaking skills YES), BUT at least I could paddle the lower Deerfield and later the lower Kennebec with her in the barge... I mean kayak. For several years, she didn't really like to sit in the barge, so she (and other kids in our group) would jump out, swim around a bit, climb back in, jump back out, have water fights, tip over each others boats, etc, etc, then pass out and sleep. Not exactly "kayaking", but having fun on/in the water. She eventually started paddling with me as a passenger (holding a paddle just in case) and FINALLY started paddling solo in easy rapids.

There are PFD's for very little kids (she had one at about 18 months) and there are little shorty wetsuits that are better than nothing. For an infant drysuit...I think that would be a custom order :) Good luck and enjoy your little one. Also, a good babysitter hanging out on the beach with your little one once in a while will let you get some real kayaking in.

Gay

Looking for combination Waterproof vhf radio/baby monitor. Does this technology exist? Can someone build it? Do they make infant sized dry suits? Are there Coast regs against outfitting the day hatch as a second seat? Will I ever paddle again? :rolleyes:

Ross

duct tape. comes in pink and blue too

Ross

Ross,

Saw this at the paddle-fest in Cambridge with Blaine and Sunny last winter:

http://www.necessaryjourneys.ca/findingfarley/index.html

Note the toddler, and the dog!

The movie was excellent and made me want to read Farley's books. Actually for me it wasn't the water that gave pause, but the biting bugs they encountered.

Bob

Gay,

<For several years, she didn't really like to sit in the barge...> -- just proving, perhaps, that she has good taste. I suspect that she was simply developing that aesthetic sense at an early age -- she was waiting for you to put her into something elegant (like a Nordkapp)! :D

Ross,

Duct-tape, good idea (Rick!) -- try inside the fore-arm/chest/paddle quadrilateral? :P

Ross,

The beach time is just opening up. Just take your baby to the beach. Get one of those dome screens, food, diapers and either your wife or a buddy who has dealt with babies before. Bring your boat too and go out there and play in the surf for 15 minutes at a time (or something like that) and come back to check on your offspring in case he/she wakes up or needs a diaper change or food.

I remember with my first boy. I packed a bag of diapers, baby wipes and baby food, packed the tent and sleeping bags and went out camping.

Ross

Ross:

You could take a page from Bethany Ericson's daughter Lyra and start the training early:

She's got it, clearly enjoys it, just needs a boat at some point down the road...

Scott

<For several years, she didn't really like to sit in the barge...> -- just proving, perhaps, that she has good taste. I suspect that she was simply developing that aesthetic sense at an early age -- she was waiting for you to put her into something elegant (like a Nordkapp)! :D

Yes, you're absolutely right! Barges or short wide rec boats are no fun for a kid to try to handle if they are trying to get anywhere that's not in the same direction that the wind is blowing. A small version of a real boat makes all the difference in the world ...(and is more elegant).

Gay

Ross,

The movie was excellent and made me want to read Farley's books. Actually for me it wasn't the water that gave pause, but the biting bugs they encountered.

Bob

Looks like an inspirational movie for adventuring with little ones!

Ross,

Bob

yeah that looks exciting, an author whose books I have read! thanks for the post!

Ross

MTI makes children's PFD's, Kokatat makes paddling jackets and the Super Nova suit for kids.

I can't help with the baby monitor/VHF but as far as the day hatch modifcations, go for it, it's better than putting her in the rear hatch.

Would a Baby Bjorn interfere with your forward stroke? :haha:

Michael looks like you've been doing your research :rolleyes:

I raised my kids in a canoe. Turned it around and placed them in the small space at the bow (was stern) worked well as it evened out the weight distribution and provided them the opportunity to catch or observe wildlife close up. Did a lot of gunk holeing and really enjoyed them as kids. It's not kayaking but you can start them on that when they get school age.