advice on light weight tents

glil

Any opinions out there on lightweight tents? Looking for a 2 person (probably), but maybe also a 1 person tent for warm/hot weather camping. Light weight is my highest priority as long as everything else about it is practical. Any input from your camping experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gay

Gay-

What's your definition of light weight?

Phil

As light as possible ... Between 3 and 4 pounds would be ideal.

Gay

Any input from your camping experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gay

If I'm backpacking (think lightweight) I'll take either MSR Hubba (1-person, $$$), or hammock (22 oz) and OES tarp (McCat deluxe-13 oz).

So the things to figure out: how many people, what size people, how big are the sleeping pads you'll want to use, what weather conditions do you expect to endure, one door or two, free standing or not....

So for my recent tent purchase, I chose a Nemo Losi 2p, which is free standing, had room for 2 27" wide sleeping pads, long enough to put gear at the end of 72" sleeping pads, the tent pole system gives it very vertical side walls, has two doors with two good vestibules under the tarp, is reported to be solid up to 40+ mph wind gusts and weighs about 4.5 lbs. Since Lorrie and I are either car or kayak camping and not backpacking the slight extra weight for the increased size seemed an appropriate trade off.

If you want really ultralight tents, check out the tarptents by henry shires (tarptent.com). Small, 1,2 or 3 people sizes and 2-3lbs.

Phil

What are your limits/requirements? Hammock, bivy?

Need some combination to sleep 3 smallish people in warm/hot weather. Can't rely on being able to hang a hammock. Rain/wind always a possibility. Tarp MAY be just fine. Tent would need good ventilation. Freestanding would be my preference for a tent, but probably not critical. I'm not big on carrying more weight than I have to for any distance.

Also, thinking about what I would be most likely to use in the future, which would probably be a light weight 1 or 2 person tent.

Gay

If you want really ultralight tents, check out the tarptents by henry shires (tarptent.com). Small, 1,2 or 3 people sizes and 2-3lbs.

Phil

I briefly looked at the above tarptents and they are much lighter weight and roomier than the tents I have looked at so far. Will check them out more closely. Thanks.

Gay

Phil

I briefly looked at the above tarptents and they are much lighter weight and roomier than the tents I have looked at so far. Will check them out more closely. Thanks.

Gay

OK, leaning towards a tarptent. 2 person or 3 person tent weighs 2 1/2 lbs. Big enough for a party and lighter than even the tiny 1 person ultralight tents I've looked at. Has lots of great reviews on their own website. Haven't looked for reviews elsewhere yet. Have any of you had any experience with one?

Thanks for all the input.

Gay

We recently bought a 2(3) person (most 3 person tents I have are comfortable for 2) screen tent and had it in a heavy extended downpour. In the AM there was dirt above the bath tub on the screen but we were very dry. Its great with one of these to leave the tarp prepared but on the ground should it rain and sleep under the stars. Got it at REI with a rebate.

I've used Warmlite tents since 1992. The 2-3 person tent is under 3 lbs. If you get the tent with windows option you can have a nice breeze going through the tent in hot weather.

They're super easy to put up which is something to appreciate if you get caught in a thunderstorm.

Since I haven't really tried any tents since 20 years ago, my tips might be a bit outdated. :D

We recently bought a 2(3) person (most 3 person tents I have are comfortable for 2) screen tent and had it in a heavy extended downpour. In the AM there was dirt above the bath tub on the screen but we were very dry. Its great with one of these to leave the tarp prepared but on the ground should it rain and sleep under the stars. Got it at REI with a rebate.

OK, leaning towards a tarptent. 2 person or 3 person tent weighs 2 1/2 lbs. Big enough for a party and lighter than even the tiny 1 person ultralight tents I've looked at. Has lots of great reviews on their own website. Haven't looked for reviews elsewhere yet. Have any of you had any experience with one?

Thanks for all the input.

Gay

One thing that can be problematic with single wall tents like the tarptent is ventilation. Hot, humid windless nights would be the worst case scenario, with much condensation inside the tent. It's times like these that double wall, lots of mesh tents rule. For reviews, try the forums at backpackinglite website or backpackgeartest.org

Phil

Any opinions out there on lightweight tents? Looking for a 2 person (probably), but maybe also a 1 person tent for warm/hot weather camping. Light weight is my highest priority as long as everything else about it is practical. Any input from your camping experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gay

If lite, lite is the ultimate factor then I agree with Brambor that Warmlite Tents are about as light as you are going to get. They are made in house by the Stephenson family in the Guilford N.H. area. When set up properly they will take an intense blow, but aren't self supporting. They do need to be anchored at a couple of points.

http://warmlite.com/

If lite, lite is the ultimate factor then I agree with Brambor that Warmlite Tents are about as light as you are going to get.

While very light, they do require some care in use. A friend of mine had one when we were climbing in Colorado and it seemed a bit delicate for use above treeline and on bare rock. OTOH we were living for three days out of small rucksacks including climbing gear so the size and weight were ideal. I believe for kayak camping around here it is important to get a tent with decent space and good ventilation as in mesh top and adequate vestibule as well as a decent tarp for living in relative comfort through long dreary rain/mist as opposed to a small mountain tent for staying dry during the short violent downpours and wind you get out West in the afternoon. If the insects and weather allow, no shelter is best of course.

Ed Lawson

If the insects and weather allow, no shelter is best of course.

[/quote

And, I'm still waiting for that time in New England when insects and weather allow no shelter ;-)

If the insects and weather allow, no shelter is best of course.

And, I'm still waiting for that time in New England when insects and weather allow no shelter ;-)

been camping for 40+ years, and I think I can count on my hands the number of nights under the stars. My friends from the west, who often sleep without shelter, just dont understand the weather and bugs round here. But when it works, it's great!

Phil

I think I've decided on a Henry Shires tartpent-the Rainshadow 2, which sleeps 3 and would be quite roomy for 2. The 3 person size is really no more weight or cost than the 2 person size and for crummy weather would make for happier campers. At 2.5 lbs (approx. 3 lbs with poles and groundcloth) for a 3-person tent, it's lighter than I expected to find. I found LOTS of reviews and only found a few minor and intermittent potential issues-not freestanding, sometimes some condensation, but that's about it. I found no negative reviews. The price isn't bad either at $265 compared to many other tents. So, unless something changes my mind in the next few days, I think I've found what I'm looking for. Thanks for everyone's input. It's been very helpful.

Gay