Talk about cutting your nose...

Gcosloy

Check out this piece in today's NYTimes Magazine section. When will MA follow Florida'a lead and declare beachfront saved by taxpayer money to be open to the public for recreation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/realesta...ref=keymagazine

Good point Gene. I believe this issue has already come up regarding nourishment of the beach on Plum Island. If I recall correctly, the Army Corps of Engineers is requiring property owners to sign waivers declaring public access to land in front of their homes before sand will be deposited.

That is the best news I heard in a while. I hope this spreads like a wildfire.

The treasures of the state should be enjoyed by more than the residents of the properties adjacent to them. You can buy land but you shouldn't be able to buy exclusive access to natural and national treasures. Public access thus should be protected and readily available. Beaches, Lakes, Mountains are all part of State and National treasures. It would be a sad day when we learn about the state beauty from videos filmed from helicopter flyovers.

There is a difference in public access to the public and a 'so called public access' where you need a limousine to drop you off or having to parachute into.

Good point Gene. I believe this issue has already come up regarding nourishment of the beach on Plum Island. If I recall correctly, the Army Corps of Engineers is requiring property owners to sign waivers declaring public access to land in front of their homes before sand will be deposited.