NYTimes Sunday Magazine

Lbeale

<_< Check out this Sunday's NYTimes magazine article, Lives Capsized , by Ellen Ruppel Shell (p.50).

What I find most interesting is her statement of "nearly a decade of kayaking," her and her husband decide to go paddling in the waters by Damariscotta, Maine, in November, without safety gear and, both wearing summer clothing (not even a wet suit).

I try not to judge when I read these stories -- I assume that people don't know or understand how risky decisions while paddling often costs people their lives.

But what if the paddlers seem to know better as indicated in this story? Ten years of paddling should demonstrate knowing that paddling in Maine waters in November without a dry suit or even a wet suit and, without safety equipment means deep water trouble no matter the conditions.

This is a sad story and the article does not adequately express the risks taken by this couple on a November Saturday morning in Damariscotta, Maine.

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leslie -

You (we?) might seriously consider writing a letter to the Times. Considering that fatality off MDI also this season, it might reach some audience.

Perhaps even writing to Ellen herself might be a good idea. If she's a writer for the Atlantic, with some persuasion, we might get her to write a follow-up. From the postings to NSPN over the course of five years or so, I think we have enough material for our own New England edition of Deep Trouble.

There's the MDI incident, the guy who paddled to Isles of Shoals in February last year, the famous Arhanoff/Jagoda incident, to name a few.

I'd be willing to help out (although I'm working my tail off at the moment on lectures and such).

John H.

I read the article and could only shiver-just dumb luck they were rescued! It seems they did everything wrong and what's insidious about the article is that it could reinforce in the minds of others that kayaking safety is all about dumb luck. Had the writer a sense of responsibility she would have ended her piece with a paragraph on "lessons learned". Clearly her intent was more about entertaining than educating. What a pity!

Seems that she is a local:

http://www.bu.edu/com/jo/science/faculty.htm

Perhaps an invitation to a cold water workshop is in order.

I think whatever would get to readers of the NY Times the array of lessons that could/should be learned.

The author does not seem to have a clue how irresponsible and dangerous their lack of preparation and skills were/are when paddling coastal waters - especially Maine in November.

After a decade of paddling without proper skills and prep they are lucky to be alive.

I sent the author a note inviting her to join this group and ask questions.

Copy of the e-mail follows:

"Dear Ms Ruppel Shell:

As someone who kayaks upon the oceans of New England all year 'round, I was disappointed that the two kayakers in your "Capsized" story were not better identified as the complete nincompoops that they were and NOT representative of ocean kayakers in general. I have always maintained that there is a big difference between poor judgment and a complete absence of it.

The two kayakers in your story are described as having "... nearly a decade of experience." What does that mean? I can tell you how it is perceived by your readers. It gives the impression that these folks knew what they were doing but that despite their ten years of "experience" they got into trouble.

I have only been kayaking for about three years now but when I head out on the water (as my wife and I did this past weekend), I am aware of what the tides and currents are doing and what is expected weather-wise. I carry with me: a VHF radio, spare clothing as indicated by the season, food, a thermos of hot tea, spare paddles, a chart of the area... the list goes on. I am dressed in dry suit (there are only a few weeks of the year that the minimum of a wetsuit is suitable for Maine waters and none of those weeks are in November).

To further my skills, I work with other paddlers more experienced than I am, I spend time training with professional coaches when I can. I attend symposiums where there is a concentration of coaches and intensive learning environments are created to further skills in rough conditions, rescue training, surf etc.

It seems that the only articles getting written about kayakers are of the idiots who literally don't know their butt from a hot rock but are described as being "experienced" and who go out and get into newsworthy trouble.

How about an analysis at the end of your article that describes how ignorance of basic water safety and a lack of common sense led to these folks near demise beginning with their decision to launch in the first place; how doing something badly for ten years only makes you experienced in doing that thing badly.

There is so much more that I could say but I refer you instead to the North Shore Paddler's Network web site to get an idea of what responsible kayakers are doing to stay safe. <www.nspn.org> Go to "General Message Board" under the "Message Boards" drop down menu.

Its free to join and I assure you that were you to identify yourself and begin asking questions you will get many responses from folks who are interested and informed (and passionate) about ocean kayaking.

Fear not, we are a friendly bunch.

Regards, Jonathan Kilroy"

So we'll see if this leads to the education of one news writer anyway.

Jon

A few random comments:

1. I suspect the article was deemed "just right" for the intended audience and purpose.

2. Given the intended audience and purpose, it is unrealistic to expect the article to contain anything the typical NSPN members would consider appropriate and reasonable about kayaking safely.

3. The disrespect displayed by the author toward those who likely saved her life indicates, to me, a clueless person on so many levels as to preclude rational discourse about the matter.

4. No better example could be given of why those "from away" are looked upon as they are.

Ed Lawson

I would say that the author of the article did not know how lucky they were that those fishermen picked them up right when they did. They obviously did not know of the "50/50" rule; that is- If you are 50 yards from shore in 50 degree water with no thermal gear, you have a 50% chance of making it to shore. Add to that the conditions described, it qualifies as a "I shouldn't be alive" episode.

<_< Check out this Sunday's NYTimes magazine article, Lives Capsized , by Ellen Ruppel Shell (p.50).

This is a sad story and the article does not adequately express the risks taken by this couple on a November Saturday morning in Damariscotta, Maine.

Les

AKA Swearing Ferret

In light of the recent Massachusetts proposed legislation (aka "An Act Pertaining to Kayaks"), this is another example of idiots making it look like it is necessary for our legislators to enact laws to protect us from our stupidity.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the NY Times (not sure what good it will do):

As a long time kayaker with over 20 years experience in coastal New England waters, I was dismayed when I read the story "Capsized" by Ellen Ruppel Shell in the January 24 issue of the NY Times Magazine. The kayakers described in this story are the type that give kayaking and kayakers a bad reputation. She writes: "...in nearly a decade of kayaking, we had never run into trouble". Apparently, these people had never taken the opportunity to learn about necessary precautions of paddling in cold water off the coast of Maine in November. The author was aware of the dangers of cold water, but never mentions much more than that, and even with that knowledge, still left shore to paddle in 47 degree water without the proper clothing, and somehow felt safe because of the "odds"! How strange. It is by shear luck that they are still alive. They did not make one bad decision, but made many bad ones. In fact, I do not think they managed to make even one good decision. Even in the writing of the article, the author may have redeemed herself somewhat by talking about what advanced planning could have been done, and after the capsize, what plan of action could have been taken, but rather, just gives us an account of a story of two incompetent, foolish people who are lucky to be alive. Based on all the losses of life in New England over the past decade, she could have taken the opportunity to educate, rather than amuse with her anecdotal story of a couple of complete idiots. This, apparently, is an otherwise educated person. What was she thinking?

I wonder if the only remaining paddle were a take-apart. Hmmm.... could have taken it apart and paddled with one blade each. Abandoning the safety of a floating kayak to swim to shore in 47 degree water? Idiots.

-Nancy

I would say that the author of the article did not know how lucky they were that those fishermen picked them up right when they did. They obviously did not know of the "50/50" rule; that is- If you are 50 yards from shore in 50 degree water with no thermal gear, you have a 50% chance of making it to shore. Add to that the conditions described, it qualifies as a "I shouldn't be alive" episode.

Point of order/question: I'm not sure I think the 50/50 rule is valid. I've looked at the hypothermia charts, and they say that for 50 degree (F) water temperature, at 1 hour, there is a "strong possibility of survival if rescued - can help themselves".

My own experience with ice baths is that I'm still quite functional after immersion in 48 degree (F) water for 20 minutes. It takes about a minute to swim 50 yards for me.

We quote this rule all the time, but it doesn't line up with either the charts or my experience.

This is not to advise anyone to get rid of the dry suit when paddling in 50 degree F water, but if we're quoting something that's out of whack, it doesn't lend to credibility in other matters.

Comments? Thoughts?

After rereading the essay, I realized that more stunning than the lack of awareness of skills and preparation needed for safe paddling on the Maine coast in November were Ed's last 2 points

3. The disrespect displayed by the author toward those who likely saved her life indicates, to me, a clueless person on so many levels as to preclude rational discourse about the matter.

4. No better example could be given of why those "from away" are looked upon as they are.

Ed Lawson

The hubris of not honoring the request made by the rescuer is astounding! The tone of disrespect and/or condescension is sickening.

Point of order/question: I'm not sure I think the 50/50 rule is valid. I've looked at the hypothermia charts, and they say that for 50 degree (F) water temperature, at 1 hour, there is a "strong possibility of survival if rescued - can help themselves".

My own experience with ice baths is that I'm still quite functional after immersion in 48 degree (F) water for 20 minutes. It takes about a minute to swim 50 yards for me.

We quote this rule all the time, but it doesn't line up with either the charts or my experience.

This is not to advise anyone to get rid of the dry suit when paddling in 50 degree F water, but if we're quoting something that's out of whack, it doesn't lend to credibility in other matters.

Comments? Thoughts?

I think the difference is that in a 50 yard swim in 50 degree water, you are really pulling the heat from your body while thrashing around swimming and your extremities loose their functionality. Quite different from staying still in the huddle/rescue position.

Even though I agree with your words describing the paddlers I would say that after she reads your e-mail she will opt out of paddling with us.

:D

I sent the author a note inviting her to join this group and ask questions.

Copy of the e-mail follows:

"Dear Ms Ruppel Shell:

As someone who kayaks upon the oceans of New England all year 'round, I was disappointed that the two kayakers in your "Capsized" story were not better identified as the complete nincompoops that they were and NOT representative of ocean kayakers in general. I have always maintained that there is a big difference between poor judgment and a complete absence of it.

The two kayakers in your story are described as having "... nearly a decade of experience." What does that mean? I can tell you how it is perceived by your readers. It gives the impression that these folks knew what they were doing but that despite their ten years of "experience" they got into trouble.

I have only been kayaking for about three years now but when I head out on the water (as my wife and I did this past weekend), I am aware of what the tides and currents are doing and what is expected weather-wise. I carry with me: a VHF radio, spare clothing as indicated by the season, food, a thermos of hot tea, spare paddles, a chart of the area... the list goes on. I am dressed in dry suit (there are only a few weeks of the year that the minimum of a wetsuit is suitable for Maine waters and none of those weeks are in November).

To further my skills, I work with other paddlers more experienced than I am, I spend time training with professional coaches when I can. I attend symposiums where there is a concentration of coaches and intensive learning environments are created to further skills in rough conditions, rescue training, surf etc.

It seems that the only articles getting written about kayakers are of the idiots who literally don't know their butt from a hot rock but are described as being "experienced" and who go out and get into newsworthy trouble.

How about an analysis at the end of your article that describes how ignorance of basic water safety and a lack of common sense led to these folks near demise beginning with their decision to launch in the first place; how doing something badly for ten years only makes you experienced in doing that thing badly.

There is so much more that I could say but I refer you instead to the North Shore Paddler's Network web site to get an idea of what responsible kayakers are doing to stay safe. <www.nspn.org> Go to "General Message Board" under the "Message Boards" drop down menu.

Its free to join and I assure you that were you to identify yourself and begin asking questions you will get many responses from folks who are interested and informed (and passionate) about ocean kayaking.

Fear not, we are a friendly bunch.

Regards, Jonathan Kilroy"

So we'll see if this leads to the education of one news writer anyway.

Jon

What I thought was a really nice touch was how the couple rewarded those who rescued them.

They outed the fact that their rescuers were pouching deer, after specifically being asked not to.

In a nationally distributed newspaper no less! :o

I'm not sure I would invite them to any safety seminar. They are apparently just a bit to self-possessed. :P

i don't get why she wanted the husband to get out of the boat and swim. He eventually capsized but had he stayed in the boat and accompanied his swimming wife to the island would be a better choice under the circumstances.

I sent the message above to Ellen, the author of the article. I did not understand initially, that the author and the paddler were one and the same. She has replied and asked that I post this response as she is getting a lot of mail from other NSPN folks. I get the impression she is feeling a little assaulted right now. I think Ed had it right when he observed that this piece was written for a specific audience.

At any rate; it goes like this...

Ellen writes:

Dear Mr. Kilroy,

The nincompoops in question were myself and my husband, I'm afraid. We

had paddled this particular bit of seacoast so often over the years,

that we had become complacent--and, yes, stupid. You mention that you

have been paddling for three years--well, after only three years of

paddling, we--like you--were much more cautious--but after nearly a

decade of no problems, we had grown over-confident and stupid--much

like an experienced driver rushing out for a bottle of milk might

neglect to wear a seatbelt (also stupid.)

So, we were tested, got lucky, survived. None of this will happen

again to us, and hopefully, readers will take note-and avoid making

similar mistakes--whether kayaking or hiking or whatever.

Thanks for the link to your site. Sounds like a great group--but

perhaps you'd prefer not to have nicompoops join?

Best,

Ellen

Jon writes back:

Dear Ellen;

It was only after rereading your piece that I realized the paddler and author were one and the same. I apologize but.... you were still nincompoops.

My frustration was actually in thinking that you were writing about paddlers in a way that failed, once again, to mention the missing components that led to the accident. Written in a way that leaves readers with the impression that those people that go kayaking are just plain fools.

I also think, if your account is accurate, that you did a bit of a disservice to those folks that hauled you out of the drink and very likely saved your lives. The lobster dealer with one good eye...? That seems pretty identifying given that you also specify where you were paddling.

Just a thought.

Nincompoops are every bit as welcome as seasoned veterans at NSPN; join in and start having fun with a great bunch of people who have one thing in common.... we love to paddle.

Take care and be well, Jon

Ellen replied:

Jon,

Just one final note...

I'm being deluged by well meaning folks from your site, who are basically echoing you. Feel free to post this response if you like... Of course we made incredibly foolish mistakes based on sheer hubris--we had paddled this little stretch of ocean so many times, and never had a mishap--even a minor one. Still, we were foolish to take our safety for granted--very foolish--and my hope is that the essay will remind everyone that nature is quixotic and unforgiving and that we forget this at our peril. But this is not a piece for Kayaker Magazine (and yes, we do subscribe.) It is for general readers who may bike or hike or kayak or--maybe just drive to work--all of which pose dangers. We should ALWAYS be prepared, but sometimes we are not--or cannot--be, and are forced to come face to face with things about ourselves we were unaware of...did not know, maybe did not want to know. The theme of this piece was not kayaking and its dangers. Its purpose goes much deeper than that.to a place that the editors at the New York Times--and many readers who have written me--understand and appreciate.

And I am more than happy to listen and learn from your membership---I will join your group, and suggest that my husband do the same.

Best,

Ellen

Jon

p.s. I have confeniently glazed over the fact that I identified poachers to the nationwide audience. :lol:

I sent the message above to Ellen, the author of the article. I did not understand initially, that the author and the paddler were one and the same. She has replied and asked that I post this response as she is getting a lot of mail from other NSPN folks. I get the impression she is feeling a little assaulted right now. I think Ed had it right when he observed that this piece was written for a specific audience.

At any rate; it goes like this...

Ellen writes:

Dear Mr. Kilroy,

The nincompoops in question were myself and my husband, I'm afraid. We

had paddled this particular bit of seacoast so often over the years,

that we had become complacent--and, yes, stupid. You mention that you

have been paddling for three years--well, after only three years of

paddling, we--like you--were much more cautious--but after nearly a

decade of no problems, we had grown over-confident and stupid--much

like an experienced driver rushing out for a bottle of milk might

neglect to wear a seatbelt (also stupid.)

So, we were tested, got lucky, survived. None of this will happen

again to us, and hopefully, readers will take note-and avoid making

similar mistakes--whether kayaking or hiking or whatever.

Thanks for the link to your site. Sounds like a great group--but

perhaps you'd prefer not to have nicompoops join?

Best,

Ellen

Jon writes back:

Dear Ellen;

It was only after rereading your piece that I realized the paddler and author were one and the same. I apologize but.... you were still nincompoops.

My frustration was actually in thinking that you were writing about paddlers in a way that failed, once again, to mention the missing components that led to the accident. Written in a way that leaves readers with the impression that those people that go kayaking are just plain fools.

I also think, if your account is accurate, that you did a bit of a disservice to those folks that hauled you out of the drink and very likely saved your lives. The lobster dealer with one good eye...? That seems pretty identifying given that you also specify where you were paddling.

Just a thought.

Nincompoops are every bit as welcome as seasoned veterans at NSPN; join in and start having fun with a great bunch of people who have one thing in common.... we love to paddle.

Take care and be well, Jon

Ellen replied:

Jon,

Just one final note...

I'm being deluged by well meaning folks from your site, who are basically echoing you. Feel free to post this response if you like... Of course we made incredibly foolish mistakes based on sheer hubris--we had paddled this little stretch of ocean so many times, and never had a mishap--even a minor one. Still, we were foolish to take our safety for granted--very foolish--and my hope is that the essay will remind everyone that nature is quixotic and unforgiving and that we forget this at our peril. But this is not a piece for Kayaker Magazine (and yes, we do subscribe.) It is for general readers who may bike or hike or kayak or--maybe just drive to work--all of which pose dangers. We should ALWAYS be prepared, but sometimes we are not--or cannot--be, and are forced to come face to face with things about ourselves we were unaware of...did not know, maybe did not want to know. The theme of this piece was not kayaking and its dangers. Its purpose goes much deeper than that.to a place that the editors at the New York Times--and many readers who have written me--understand and appreciate.

And I am more than happy to listen and learn from your membership---I will join your group, and suggest that my husband do the same.

Best,

Ellen

Jon

[

You (we?) might seriously consider writing a letter to the Times. Considering that fatality off MDI also this season, it might reach some audience.

Perhaps even writing to Ellen herself might be a good idea. If she's a writer for the Atlantic, with some persuasion, we might get her to write a follow-up. From the postings to NSPN over the course of five years or so, I think we have enough material for our own New England edition of Deep Trouble.

Its good that this article will maybe see a published response from people with some level of awareness conspicuously absent in its author, and in its editors who, inexplicably, chose to print this truly weird article.

("Marty tends toward the analytical: ... A reflexive logician, he plays the odds, and the odds were good: in nearly a decade of kayaking, we had never run into trouble."" nuff said. )

Exchanges of information such as this,also, are productive; those reading this forum will surely benefit from this exchange of viewpoints and information and absorb more elements of the general “culture†of sound kayaking.

Capsizing, wet exiting, losing a paddle during a rescue: all of these can happen to any of us, (two of them happened to me yesterday) and can be part of sea kayaking.: being unprepared for these eventualities is not; precisely why immersion wear, carrying a spare paddle, getting a weather forecast, and knowing rescues and risk assessment are such integral parts of sound sea kayaking.

Same here. I have capsized and had to wet exit after I failed my roll. Luckily I was at the YMCA.

Capsizing, wet exiting, losing a paddle during a rescue: all of these can happen to any of us, (two of them happened to me yesterday) ....

Jon, Just one final note...

But this is not a piece for Kayaker Magazine (and yes, we do subscribe.)....

Au contraire, IMHO this would make (with editing) an ideal piece for Sea Kayaker Magazine.

It might not be flattering to the victims, but they are poster children for many who have "years of kayaking experience without mishap".

Dear Ellen,

Pardon me if it seems like we NSPN members are piling on. There are just a couple of things I want to point out to you and perhaps your future readers: You state that in paddling for 10 years, you've never had a mishap before. Many of us serious paddlers with a lot less time under our belt have mishaps all the time. We purposely go out and capsize and practice rescues, either unassisted or assisted. So when bad things happen and they occasionally do, we are prepared. The other thing which is directed more to your intended audience is that these are precisely the folks just like you and your husband who are frequently lulled into a sense of safety and well being when you really should be respectful of the awesome and changing face of natures oceans. It was only dumb luck that you survived. The message your piece gives to your readers is that sometimes "shit happens". As an aside just what deeper meaning was your piece trying to convey which unfortunately escaped my comprehension?

Dear Ellen,

Pardon me if it seems like we NSPN members are piling on. There are just a couple of things I want to point out to you and perhaps your future readers: You state that in paddling for 10 years, you've never had a mishap before. Many of us serious paddlers with a lot less time under our belt have mishaps all the time. We purposely go out and capsize and practice rescues, either unassisted or assisted. So when bad things happen and they occasionally do, we are prepared. The other thing which is directed more to your intended audience is that these are precisely the folks just like you and your husband who are frequently lulled into a sense of safety and well being when you really should be respectful of the awesome and changing face of natures oceans. It was only dumb luck that you survived. The message your piece gives to your readers is that sometimes "shit happens". As an aside just what deeper meaning was your piece trying to convey which unfortunately escaped my comprehension?

before we all get too overboard, consider that some serious paddlers have serious challenges in finding the put in on a clear day.

the broze brothers did it best with the book that could be subtitled "idiots don't float" and this could have easilly been just one more story in "deep trouble"

they got a test and then learned the lesson...no one died and they're both unlikely to do that again given the series of very poor choices and compounding errors they made....hopefully they scared themselves pretty good and THAT'S the best teacher.

Rick:

Thanks for the needed reality check.

The fact our hindsight on the actions of others is infallible does not mean we are wise or knowledgeable or skilled.

Isn't there a saying along the lines of, "The sea often gives the test before it provides the lesson."

BTW, have you gotten your Peterson Guide yet for the birding paddles?

Ed Lawson

I think the difference is that in a 50 yard swim in 50 degree water, you are really pulling the heat from your body while thrashing around swimming and your extremities loose their functionality. Quite different from staying still in the huddle/rescue position.

A factor of 100 shorter survival time seems like a huge amount to me. Does anyone know where this statistic comes from? I'm not saying it's wrong, it just goes against my intuition (which *has* been shown to be wrong from time-to-time).

The only sources I could find say that swimming reduces survival time by about 50%, which I can believe, but not 10000%.

It may be trivial, but we quote this so often, and it seems at odds with what I know that I think it bears closer examination.