Volunteers for workshops

rossjb1

Here is a list of ideas for workshops. I am wondering if there are any NSPN'ers who would like to volunteer to teach. Any birders out there? Any one interested in sharing their knowledge of geology or natural/local history, etc.? If so post here or contact me via personal message

Thanks Ross

Kayak Workshops

- Weather Waves and tidal currents

- Boat Repair & Outfitting Emergency gear/boat repair-

repairing broken boats, paddles, etc..

- Yoga

- New to Kayaking

- Kayak Camping/cooking

- Greenland Paddle construction

- Navigation

- Kayak Birding

- Geology, Natural History

- Weather and Waves

- Rolling

- Greenland Paddling

instruction (in water) or (pool session)

- WFA class specific to kayaking or just some basic first aid

- Leadership skills

Here is a list of ideas for workshops. I am wondering if there are any NSPN'ers who would like to volunteer to teach.

I believe it is

always better to draft others than volunteer. Don't ask.

Joh Huth does a great job on weather. He may have forgotten, but he failed to do the trip last year that was to discuss weather as observed on paddle so perhaps he could be shamed into something.

Brian Nystrom wrote the book, literally on GP making.

I don't know how people feel about doing things in conjunction with other clubs, but SMSKN has a series of paddles for birding this year and a day of GP instruction.

The topic of Yoga as related to paddling is really a good one. Unfortunately, the best person I know is Cheri Perry who teaches it professionally.

I hear Suz is a talented kayak camping cook.

I think the best way of learning about navigation, weather, tides, leadership, camping, etc. is to have a trip where each participant spends time being responsible for each segment. As in a three day weekend early in the season.

Something akin to what Gary York has been doing.

I might be crazy enough to agree to schedule another "skinny stick" trip from H2O, out on east side of Orr's, over to Jewell, back via Eagle for those using/interested in GPs and related nonsense such as various rolls, polar exploration history, and wandering about on modest coastal waters. Or perhaps from Kennebunckport to Cape Porpoise before the crowds appear for the same fun. Assuming others step up for other topics.

Ed Lawson

Who still remembers the DI asking for those with experience with machinery...to operate lawn mowers.

I'd be willing to give the "weather and waves" another shot on the water. Last year, I think the problem was settling on a date/time. If someone can keep the pressure on me, or nail me down early on a date that would help.

Part of the dilemma was whether we might try a multi-day trip that involved some camping. The reason I mention this is that weather systems develop over the course of at least 24 hours, so an afternoon paddle isn't enough to do much about weather, other than the kind of thing you could do just walking out the door and looking at the sky.

Other stuff I could offer, based on material I've developed (and have write-ups for):

1.) The psychology of human navigation

2.) Distances and dead reckoning

3.) Tides

4.) Primitive celestial navigation (ie. using the sun, moon and stars without equipment)

5.) Weather

6.) Waves

7.) Special topics in navigation: birds, jet contrails, planets, mirages, bioluminescence, radio signals

8.) Currents

9.) Physics of boats and sailboats

10.) The history of latitude and longitude, charts

Some of this material is more suited for blue water sailors, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I also have first drafts of chapters for each of the topics above.

John H.

It's always presumptuous to volunteer others but here goes. Let's have a rolling session at Walden or Chebacco Lake where those who can roll and have an interest in sharing their skills show up to help those who don't roll but want to learn. I'd be happy to volunteer. Probably best in June when the waters are warmer. Along with learning some unconventional methods and promoting some on water disputations, this could a lot of fun.

It's always presumptuous to volunteer others but here goes. Let's have a rolling session at Walden or Chebacco Lake where those who can roll and have an interest in sharing their skills show up to help those who don't roll but want to learn. I'd be happy to volunteer. Probably best in June when the waters are warmer. Along with learning some unconventional methods and promoting some on water disputations, this could a lot of fun.

i'd be happy to help instruct on rolling - you can put me down as volunteer if that get's scheduled

<...a rolling session at Walden or Chebacco Lake...>

Much more pleasant on <salt> water, in my opinion. Actually, rolling in the water of Chebacco Lake always made my throat slightly sore the next day! Maybe I'm just wimpy? Seawater does it for me: it's so nice to be upside-down in the briny...Essex bay would be preferable, since it warms up earlier in the season than the ocean.

Much more pleasant on <salt> water, in my opinion. Actually, rolling in the water of Chebacco Lake always made my throat slightly sore the next day! Maybe I'm just wimpy? Seawater does it for me: it's so nice to be upside-down in the briny...Essex bay would be preferable, since it warms up earlier in the season than the ocean.

I was thinking the same. I would always get sinus infections and ear infections when rolling in Chebacco. Salt is the way to go. Just have to plan it around the tide. Perhaps a late afternoon high tide during the summer.

Suz

How about parking and launching at Lane's cove and paddling over to Hodgkin's cove, which is perfect for rolling practice?

How about parking and launching at Lane's cove and paddling over to Hodgkin's cove, which is perfect for rolling practice?

we could probably make a couple of the haverhill pool sessions rolling workshops for folks . . . it will be awhile before it's warm enough to practice in any comfort outside -

I swear I was going to post this!

Learning to roll in a pool is great because the water is warm and the instructor can see what's going on under the water. Maybe the last Haverhill pool session or two should be for rolling? Gather up many spotters and bring some WW kayaks, paddle floats, etc... We should be able to get one spotter/instructor per student.