What was your year like?

Gcosloy

While there are paddlers whose experiences I continue to hold in awe I nevertheless had personally a great year on the water. This last season 2009 was perhaps my best yet. I began early in April and last paddled a week ago in December. Approximately twice a week for an average of 10mi: overall approximately 688mi on the ocean. Not too shabby for my 70th year. The season was notable in several ways: my first circumnavigation of Cape Ann, my first bailing episode in 5’ swells and whitecaps and 25k wind, my first accepting an assisted rescue in the surf zone off of Plum Island South, my first performing several T rescues off the dry breakers, my first serious navigational screw up which landed me 8 mi. north of my intended destination and resulted in pitch poling in dumping surf off the beach at the Parker River Refuge, and finally my first and second fiberglass damage during bad rocky beach landings. While I looked forward to improving my surfing and looked for opportunities all season I had very few good rides, one in a Nordkapp LV that I still remember for it’s incredible speed and inability to control the line once the boat decided where it wanted to go. Towards the end of this year I became interested in rocks but haven’t had much exposure-something to look forward to next season. One of the most interesting trips was this summer with Blaine and Rob where the express purpose was to practice rescues in the ocean in real conditions. I plan to do a lot more of that next year too. Best of all was the comradeship and bonhomie paddling with friends, old ones and new ones all season long.

While there are paddlers whose experiences I continue to hold in awe I nevertheless had personally a great year on the water. This last season 2009 was perhaps my best yet. I began early in April and last paddled a week ago in December. Approximately twice a week for an average of 10mi: overall approximately 688mi on the ocean. Not too shabby for my 70th year. The season was notable in several ways: my first circumnavigation of Cape Ann, my first bailing episode in 5’ swells and whitecaps and 25k wind, my first accepting an assisted rescue in the surf zone off of Plum Island South, my first performing several T rescues off the dry breakers, my first serious navigational screw up which landed me 8 mi. north of my intended destination and resulted in pitch poling in dumping surf off the beach at the Parker River Refuge, and finally my first and second fiberglass damage during bad rocky beach landings. While I looked forward to improving my surfing and looked for opportunities all season I had very few good rides, one in a Nordkapp LV that I still remember for it’s incredible speed and inability to control the line once the boat decided where it wanted to go. Towards the end of this year I became interested in rocks but haven’t had much exposure-something to look forward to next season. One of the most interesting trips was this summer with Blaine and Rob where the express purpose was to practice rescues in the ocean in real conditions. I plan to do a lot more of that next year too. Best of all was the comradeship and bonhomie paddling with friends, old ones and new ones all season long.

Gene,

It was a fabulous year! I averaged one ocean trip a week starting with the practice session that David Lewis organized out of pebble in Rockport, and one practice session a week at Lake Gardner or Chebacco. Trips included the L3++++ solstice paddle (half way) around Baker, Salem Sound rock play with Kevin B, Woods Hole tide race with Marc, Tyson and Emilie, the trip you called out of Deveroix to Swampscott in which Kevin and I found incredible conditions outside of Marblehead Neck, the trip to surf around the dry breakers for my first combat roll and discovering the meaning of 'maytag', our trip with Blaine to practice rescues in the ocean, the famed 'pee bottle' trip out of Tuck's in which we also woke up a seal on the way to the dry breakers and found huge swells on the way back, the recent Boston Harbor trip (my first), and the pleasant cold water workshop paddle on the Kennebunk river. As the water got cold, the trips became more about paddles, scenery and conversation than conditions. Also, for the recent trips I've begun to appreciate the photographers in our group.

As I aspire to be an "intermediate" paddler, I've begun to realize that the lake sessions are necessary to learn skills, but may not directly transfer to ocean conditions. In the lake, you tip over and have plenty of time to collect yourself for the assisted or self rescue. The water is warm. There are no waves, wind, nor rocks. Simple critical mistakes, such as having the kayak blow away from you in a gust, are discussed but not 'felt'. Next year I would like to organize some trips in which people get in the water (with an offshore wind!) for more rescue practice. Also, next year I would like to get into surfing and rocks, maybe after I get skilled in boat repair! Also, intrigued about fishing so may tag along with Leon and Rene.

Great year and thanks to Rick S, Rick C, and Rob H for those lake sessions. Thanks to all my copaddlers. Looking forward to some winter paddling!

Bob

I agree. This year has been filled with so much adventure and great paddles. The question is where to start?

This past year was filled with winter paddling (thanxs to santa for bringing that dry suit). Traveling to so many spots with old and NEW friends, has made this year very special. Let's see, going through the log book I can see entries from Warren Island where I was introduced to camping in HEAVY RAIN, Thanks for that Neil S.

Then there was the travel to, and around Brave Boat, Gerrish island and New Castle. Where I'm sure that the Coastie's on duty watching us were taking bets as to which one of the fools out in the Heavy fog, and 6 foot rollers would dump first. Oh, as a footnote...neither one of us did go swimming that day, although it was close on a couple occassions!

Then there was the trip lead by Rob Hazard and crew to the MITA sponsored islands in the THICK FOG(...I'm starting to see a pattern developing). IT was this hearty group of paddlers that on one occassion took care of our stewardship duties on Crow and Bangs. They showed me how to understand a simple compass and map reading and translated it to our real situation. That and I learned on that trip what the term "speed bump" means in fisherman lingo. This area became a frequent return destination so much so, I also see log entires for a couple camping weekends on Crow and Jewell with Betty Anne.

Then there were the NUMEROUS "surf sessions" on Tuesday nights with the crew (I'm not going to start with the names...you know who you are, I don't want to forget anyone.) I can honestly say they STILL should be posted as a little paddling with swimming involved! Over the summer they and a host of others transformed this newbie surfer, who dumped on a regular basis in 1 footers into a surf JUNKIE. Who at a moments notice and a phone call didn't think twice joining a select group who foolishly went to Jenness beach to surf the "Hurricane Bill" 8-10 footers! What was I thinking? All I can say is THANK YOU to everyone helping me this past year. Its folks like this, why I was deeply honored with the pleasure of receiving the "Traverso Award" at the Christmas party.

BUT...I think one of the BEST experience's (as a DAD), was when my 18 year old asked to learn to paddle and joined me on kayak camping trips.....To have your TEENAGER WANT to spend time with her "ol man"... Priceless!!!!!! (Note to self! Keep teenage daughter AWAY from the board surfer dudes)

If next year is as busy and fun as last year...WOW I can't wait.

THANK YOU once again to all that gave of their time and knowledge to enlighten me over the past year...Be prepared, I've got a BUNCH more questions...Hmmmmm....Learning to roll seems to be on the agenda for the upcoming year.

Have a great and safe holiday season to all...And I look forward to paddling with you all REAL soon.

Frenchy

I think I'm going to run out of superlatives pretty much right off the bat - for me, it was all new. First sea kayak. First experience of chop, of swell, of surf (still no good at surf...) First race of any kind in my adult life. First glimpse of a wild seal, an eagle, a porpoise. First experience of fog at sea. First wet exit, first (practice) self and assisted rescues, first roll, first trip over 14 miles.

Then that almost imperceptible but deeply satisfying click when you start to move naturally with the rhythm of the sea. I remember the day the boat wakes in Gloucester Harbor came shoulder high from both directions at once, raising me up in the middle like a child being tossed in a blanket. And running the Blynman Canal upstream when it was ebbing fast. Then there was one trip to the Plum Island tidal race where 2' chop danced like sharp points of clear crystal on a flat base of rippled glass. We were enchanted, and there was one lone seal there, enjoying it too. Not the biggest water of the year, but I think the most beautiful.

Leon Granowitz was for me, as he has been for others, first a recruiter and then a guide to this new world. "You don't have a sea kayak? Never paddled more than 10 miles? Never paddled in salt water? Never read a book, watched a video, or took a lesson in kayaking? Never heard the term 'forward stroke'? Doesn't matter. You are going to (safely) enter and place in the Blackburn Challenge next year. You'll love the sea. Here, try my paddle. It's lighter." This on first meeting. I had never heard of the Blackburn Challenge, and couldn't imagine entering it. But, I'm telling you, resistance is futile. I am not the first to have experienced this. Over the winter, the books and videos were duly produced and studied, the lessons taken, the kayak purchased.

Leon's method is to recommend a place and a pace, then patiently paddle sweep just in case. The challenges were ever increasing, but never too much. I remember for example the first tentative cove-hopping foray into a little chop in Ipswich Bay. I felt as tippy as a 5-year old with the training wheels off. Leon had the rare wisdom to keep quiet and let me concentrate. Just a taste of the "real thing" - enough for a sense of accomplishment - then back to the safety of the Annisquam where I could be once again a relatively proficient adult.

And other NSPN'ers helped too, to an amazing extent. Gene and Leon both helped me with rolling (Jillian, too, way back last Spring in the pool), and many people have helped me with other skills, like doing re-entries with Sid in Walden Pond. And all those people offering to lend me boats when mine was on the fritz! (Thanks, Ern!) Then there was the time when Leon helped me muscle my boat back to the launch with a broken footpeg against a wicked beam wind. (Of course, it was the windward peg that broke. 13 miles into the paddle. 7 miles from home.) And then he helped me locate and install the replacement.

There were 10 practice weeks between the first tippy Ipswich Bay paddle and the Blackburn Challenge. Most of them were rainy, and cold, and windy. I hardly felt a bit of it. By the time the race came up, it was my 8th trip around Cape Ann, all with Coach Leon, and many with other NSPN'ers. In the end I enjoyed every minute of the race. Well, except maybe for that long hard hour at the beginning of the end, just before you get to Gloucester Harbor. But, even that, like beating yourself with a 2x4, really feels good when you stop.

Anyway, Gene, you beat me in the final tally of ocean miles (I only did 590). If you plot all the tracks at once it looks like spaghetti. The longest trip was from Manchester almost to Nahant - about 24 miles round trip. If I add in river workouts, the year's total goes up to 1080 miles or so.

Thanks to all for an unforgettable year. Can't wait 'till next Spring!

Lisa

I had a great year too, with several paddles with the "mid-week group". After belonging to MITA for 4 years I finally made it to some islands off Deer Isle and camped on Hell's Half Acre. I can't wait to go back. Next year, come hell or high water, I'm going to learn to roll!

Gene, great topic for a thread. I envy you retired guys with lots of free time :-) Despite my other commitments I managed to put in just shy of my 300 mile goal for the season. I began and ended the season with a Boston harbor paddle and in between the high lights included the open water weekend with Carl Ladd (organized by David Lewis) at Osprey, the BCU 3* coaching weekend with John Carmody (facilitated by Kevin), the two circumnavigations of Cape Ann (including one at night with Christopher), paddling in Maine (especially the circumnavigation of Southport Island) , playing in conditions in Ipswich bay and my first fiberglass repair. Thanks to all for your company, help and advice.

Barry.

Hmmmmpphhhrrrpphhh !!!

I think I only got my boat wet three or four times this whole year. Not much of a paddling year at all. I gotta stop working so hard. (I did get in about 12 weeks of hiking out in Utah, though.... does that count?)

Perhaps I'll squeeze in a trip before the year is out..... who's up for something easy for an old fart whose paddling muscles are out of shape?

2009 although it's not over yet was truly an awesome year in seat of my kayak. Paddling at least once each month of the year and during the spring, summer and fall months as many as 3-4 days a week. I didn't log the miles but I'm sure it was the most I've paddled in my years of kayaking. Some highlights were winter paddling on the Piscataqua River Portsmouth and winter circumnavigation of New Castle. Boothbay Harbor weekend in June, Warren Island camping over the 4th of July, Kayaking Vinalhaven over Labor Day, Kayaking and camping weekend at Pawtuckaway Lake in Sept. and Kayaking in Bar Harbor area in late October. Some of the best day trips included Newfound Lake, Squam Lake, Massebesic Lake, Cocheco River, York River, Charles River - Boston Harbor, Mousam River, Concord River, Squamscott River, Oyster River, Great Bay, Cape Porpoise, Cape Ann and I'm sure if I think more about it there are many more. The numerous skill & surf sessions over the months of June, July & August were awesome and lots of pool sessions in the colder months. A big thank you to all of you in NSPN as well as NE Seacoast Paddlers who participated in these wonderful days on the water in kayaks and I hope 2010 is even better than this year.

Neil :kayak-surfer::jenni:

It took me decades to get that first sea kayak. I always longed for it, wanted it but managed to avoid it for various reasons or excuses. I managed a canoe, a sit on top and a rowing skiff and a 'Zodiac' inflatable... Finally last year I got a sea kayak. Got a used Nordkapp. Freaked me out a little bit I must admit but it never dampened my spirit. That year I did only lakes and a few failed self rescues.

This year was different. From the start of the spring I felt better in my kayak, my legs were not falling asleep anymore. I managed to inspire the whole family, sold all the other non sea kayak boats and the kayak purchasing frenzy ensued. Now our family has 5 sea kayaks and we are looking into a double and a sail for next year. So this year I had my first self rescue lesson, first reentry and roll, first roll (in a pool), many ocean trips, from Casco Bay, Cape Porpoise, Great Bay, Seabrook and Tucks to many lake trips. Gradual realization that the bigger the waves got, the boat was still able to handle it and so did I.

I want to thank NSPN members for being friendly and providing helpful advice every time I posted here or when we met for paddling. I will paddle at least once in 2010 but I hope for even better year in 2011.

Thanks,

Rene

Valley Nordkapp H20 Red over white

Valley Anas Acuta HV (Quajariaq) white

Valley Pintail (original model) white

Seda Ikkuma 17 red over white

Seda Ikkuma 17 lime over white

I also had an excellent year for paddling.

Many a time I metioned to my wife I was lucky kayaking was a sit down sport or I would have been out of luck for much of the year.

As It was I had a nice weeks worth of kayak camping in the late spring and another more remote one

in the fall.

Fall had lots of nice days so was able to get out about 3x a week, mostly local things around this general NH area.

Paddled with more people this year than any other year...maybe even around fifty percent of the time. Always nice to meet new people and other folks over the years

Love showing people new stuff so it was nice to meet a fellow from Quebec on the ferry to Isles de Madeline and later paddle for his 1st time on the ocean...which also was the 1st time "navigating" in total darkness..can't see your hand in front of your face kind of dark.

Building up our tolerance for some larger water we paddled some fairly rowdy water that in other years we would have sat out and were able to spot a car at the take outs since we paddled with our new friend, while there.

Looking forward to next year... have one "wildernes" trip up in Quebec in the works...looking for more...

This was my second season of paddling, and I agree with those above - it is exhilarating to gain competence in a new sport. Kayaking is so intriguing in that it seems to use all lobes of the brain and all parts of the body. The high point for me was surf practice in Seabrook - wow, to be managing conditions that previously gave me a panic attack was so much fun: my brace was emerging, every week I would gain another glimmer of understanding of boat management, I wasn't scared anymore, and what a friendly, welcoming crew. I thank Cathy Foley for encouraging me to attend (I needed that). Also I thank Rob for running a trip I was actually qualified to go on, and for all those great pointers on my forward stroke. And the coaching, comraderie, and information from so many people has been so helpful.

All of this was cruelly halted by tendonitis in my wrist in August, which distressingly is still not much better in spite of treatment and exercise. I think next season I'm going to have to scale back, focus hard on my stroke technique and holding the paddle correctly (ie, lose the death grip), and hold off on practicing in conditions for a while. I will continue to enjoy reading about others' wild exploits though!

Florrie

Great topic Gene. The year started out April fools day and ended (so far) just after halloween. 59 days 400+ miles and some memorable trips. Trying to roll around a lobster buoy at mile 19 of the April circumnav of Cape Ann (Thanks Tacomakayaker for the rescue). My first surf up onto a rock, where afterwards the instructor was concerned I might be sinking. My first gel coat repair. Kayak camp at Popham. A week exploring the inside and outside of Muscongus bay in the almost too hot weather of August. Paddling the big swell and big tides of Bill and Danny in September.

More than the trips, I remember the enjoyment of being on the water with folks of like mind. People who want to know what's around the corner even more than I do. People who don't think I'm crazy when I wonder whether I can fit my boat in that slot and then try to find out. Learning the rudiments of what it takes to lead folks on the water and seeing that there's even more fun to be had out there.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Phil

This was about my forth year of paddling and the year that I feel that I might have advanced to the level of "Intermediate Paddler". This was my first year finding other people to paddle with and NSPN has been a great resource for improving my knowledge and skills.

This fabulous year of paddling was the result of an unfortunate day of spring skiing that resulted in some badly torn cartilage in one of my knees which severely limited my hiking and rock climbing for the summer. After damaging my knee, Emilie and I decided that we would try to complete (note that I did not say compete) the Blackburn with our tandem. This required that we learn to paddle it competently, as that was a skill we had not yet mastered. In fact, just 2 weeks before the Blackburn, it was still in question if our skills would be up to the task. Fortunately, that weekend also included a break through for us and the next weekend involved leading the Coast Guard to and from the Isles of Shoals in some VERY rough water and winds of 25-27kts (as measured by the station on the 'Shoals). When the Blackburn came we were both disappointed with how flat the water was. We were very pleased to complete in under 4 hrs when our goal was to beat 5 hrs. ...and still being able to pull off a roll after the finish line in spite of being exhausted by the "sprint" across Gloucester Bay was icing on the cake.

This year we both were introduced to Greenland qajaqs and paddles. I had never been able to learn a balance brace in the fat plastic tubs we were calling kayaks. I was amazed when I was able to do a balance brace on my first try and in a few minutes pulled off my first hand roll. As a result, my rolling form has improved considerably. Though I felt pretty confident in my roll before, spending some time in a qajaq has given me new skills that I am now able to apply to other boats. Emilie has made amazing progress from having a very inconsistent roll to doing effortless hand rolls. ...I'm not as good at the hand roll thing as she now is. Though it has its limitations, and I see advantages to most paddle types, I've learned to really enjoy the feel and versatility of the GP.

In the lead up to the Blackburn we had taken our tandem surfing a couple of times. Hurricane Bill offered the opportunity to put that new skill to use. Surfing at 15kts in a 23ft long, 20in wide tandem is quite a ride. A paddle back out through those waves resulted in our first real exit from that tandem, followed by our first real deep water self rescue in conditions.

This year has not been without expensive side effects though. Mastering our high performance tandem, trying surf skis as part of that learning curve, trying low volume SOF qajaqs, being exposed to all the nice kayaks the rest of you paddle and being blessed with the opportunity try some of them has resulted in a severe case of dissatisfaction with the fat, high volume plastic tubs we had been paddling. The result is that after trying an Anas Acuta (that some of you are already familiar with) in some fun water I was compelled to purchasing said Anas. Emilie is still window shopping, trying to decide beautifully crafted vessel will replace her plastic tub. Oh, and dry suits have started showing up in the house. Those aren't cheap either. ;)

I'd like to thank the members of NSPN and NESeacoastPaddlers for a great year of kayaking.

Cheers!

Ty

Gene, thanks for sharing your year's summary and inducing others to do the same, I'm enjoying everyone's posts.

After paddling Boston's inner harbor yesterday in 18 degree air temps (brrr!), I think it's safe to say my Susquehanna is stowed for the year. It was a terrific year for me on the water; I didn't really enter the sport until I bought a basic river kayak in Sept '08 for XC skiing cross-training, but it quickly became much more than that, esp. once I met Sid and Gene and got a taste of sea kayaking from Tucks. After three decades of outdoor pursuits in New England, it's been a revelation to find such beautiful coastal environments to explore, and such great people to share it with! My 2009 paddling year got underway in mid-March, 87 outings total, 35 on the ocean, many on the North Shore and Boston Harbor areas but also the South Shore, Rhode Island, and a bit of Down East Maine. (NH has had to wait!) Highlights have included spectacular sunrises over Hingham Bay, first seal sightings off the Dry Breakers, progressing towards and achieving first trips out to Boston Light, the Graves, and circumnavigating Cape Ann (chasing Leon and Lisa, thanks guys!), plus trying to spread the joy by taking one of my old running buddies on the circumnav of Castle Neck on a perfect August day. NSPN has been a big part of this, and I hope an even bigger part next season.

Thanks to all, have a good off-season and let's just see what 2010 can bring!

Florrie:

Have you tried a bent shaft paddle? I used to get tendonitis too and a bent shaft paddle helped a lot.

Bill

This was my second season of paddling, and I agree with those above - it is exhilarating to gain competence in a new sport. Kayaking is so intriguing in that it seems to use all lobes of the brain and all parts of the body. The high point for me was surf practice in Seabrook - wow, to be managing conditions that previously gave me a panic attack was so much fun: my brace was emerging, every week I would gain another glimmer of understanding of boat management, I wasn't scared anymore, and what a friendly, welcoming crew. I thank Cathy Foley for encouraging me to attend (I needed that). Also I thank Rob for running a trip I was actually qualified to go on, and for all those great pointers on my forward stroke. And the coaching, comraderie, and information from so many people has been so helpful.

All of this was cruelly halted by tendonitis in my wrist in August, which distressingly is still not much better in spite of treatment and exercise. I think next season I'm going to have to scale back, focus hard on my stroke technique and holding the paddle correctly (ie, lose the death grip), and hold off on practicing in conditions for a while. I will continue to enjoy reading about others' wild exploits though!

Florrie

Florrie:

Have you tried a bent shaft paddle? I used to get tendonitis too and a bent shaft paddle helped a lot.

Bill

I second Bill's suggestion. I have tendinitis of the ECU (extensor carpal ulnaris, the outer base of the palm), where rotating the wrist inward is stressful. Granted, looseness is de riguer, but if the shaft contact area is ALREADY canted inward then that can only help.

I'd check with a hand therapist (best are Dr Ertel and his OT Elaine now at Harvard-Pilgrim) to see which tendon is involved and whether a cortisone shot might quench the inflammation to allow more rapid healing. Worked for me.

Ern

I'm envious!!! It sounds like a bunch of you had a great season. It's nice to hear so many good stories.

Alas, for me, I didn't get out a lot. Work and life got in the way, mostly. I had some hopes of doing some sections of the Maine Island Trail, but couldn't piece together enough days.

I plied the waters of Nantucket Sound near my house. The only notable feature was that I honed my dead reckoning skills in the fog. At the beginning of the season, I was curious about how many strokes per nautical mile it took me - and how wind and waves affected this, so I could get a decent calibration. It turned out to work remarkably well.

I could paddle from one "headland" (read: jetty, point of land etc) to the next and predict how many paddle strokes it would take, fully fogged in between points. I was impressed how well one could do.

The only fun story to relate was on one of these outings. I came across a bunch of guys in a recreational fishing boat who were lost in the fog. There was a modest wind blowing and some breaking seas. They'd motored up from Monomoy, and had no clue where they were. They hailed me from the short distance they could see me in the fog (but not land) and asked where they were. I said that they were about a quarter mile offshore at the Harwich/Chatham town line. They wanted to hit Wichmere Harbor, so I pointed them in the direction and even gave them a compass heading, and distance.

I paddled on toward Chatham, and eventually turned around. After some time, I again saw them in the fog, and they again hailed me. They were anchored, and I'm not sure what they were doing, but they asked where they were again.

I hovered there with some breaking waves going on. One of them asked me if I wanted a beer. I declined. Then the guy said "My friends think you're crazy." I said "I may be crazy, but I'm not lost."

If that's the highlight of the season, it wasn't my best. BUT, this thread has spurred me on to make plans earlier.

a bunch of guys in a recreational fishing boat .........had no clue where they were...... the guy said "My friends think you're crazy." I said "I may be crazy, but I'm not lost."

Classic Downeast umah. Satisfying to know this stuff isn't made up. Doubtless these characters are telling the same story over and over.

Aside: a six-back is not considered a navigational aid. On the other hand a cardboard wine box serves as a decent straightedge.

My paddling year was frustrating. Between conflicting commitments, bad weather when I could paddle, minor injuries, and bad luck I was on the water less than any year in recent memory. I missed the friendships and fun of NSPN.

The good news is that this coming year has to be better. Looking forward to lots of time on the water.

Happy Holidays and a great New Year to all.

Al Coons

It was not a great year for me in terms of quantity of either time on the water or distances traveled, but there were definitely some good experiences. The Solstice paddle was great both seeing for lots of new and old friends, but also for some unexpected, but well managed adventure.

I also had a chance to paddle from Foote Brothers downstream from the dam in mid summer. Normally that stretch of river has very little flow in the summer. It has some interesting bridges, a small dam and an area of riffles that were fun. Definitely changed my opinion of river paddling.

Finally a late summer day out of Lane's cove, up the Annisquam and across to Wingasheek on one of those lovely late summer days that you just don't want to end.

Hoping next year provides more opportunities.

Anne