Casco Bay Kayak Canoe rescue info

Tom Bergh

FYI,

Last weeks Casco Bay rescue of a small boater put 3 government boats on the rocks. So maybe some of us should get a CG license...as this press doesn't help our reputation.

Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram.

"A duck hunter who rolled his kayak near Jewell Island in Casco Bay on Saturday night set off a chain of events that caused three rescue boats to run aground, including Portland's new $3.2 million fireboat. There were no injuries, and the hunter who called for emergency help complaining of hypothermia was expected to be OK. Less certain were the conditions of the boats.

"Portland Fire Chief Fred LaMontagne said late Saturday that the 65-foot MV City of Portland IV likely would be pulled from the water for an inspection. [This is a brand new $ multi million aluminium hulled boat]

"We had a full-moon tide, an astronomically low tide. During the rescue effort it appears the fireboat struck something on its way back in. It gets very shallow out there [Whitehead Passage], and there are a lot of ledge outcroppings. The lower end of the rudder shaft possibly struck something." [six inch hole, shaft ripped out, one prop destroyed. Boat towed to Gowen where had to be immediately hoisted ashore for inspection and repair; yes 65']

"The events began unfolding around 5:30 p.m. during the outgoing tide. The 62-year-old hunter, whose name was not released, apparently flipped his kayak, scrambled to shore and called for help. His wife was with him, though it was not clear whether she was in the kayak with him or in another vessel.

"The Fire Department responded with the 65-foot fireboat and launched a smaller rescue skiff when the big boat began running out of water. Rescuers purposely beached the skiff, knowing the tide would leave it high and dry, and assisted the hunter on the island. [seas were relatively calm, no call to Cape Elizabeth Wet Team or other experts on shore waters]

"Meanwhile, the Coast Guard was in the area on a training mission with a 25-foot response boat. While motoring over to Jewell to offer assistance, the Coast Guard boat ran aground. From its station in South Portland, the Coast Guard launched a second boat.

"By then, the Portland fireboat was on its way back in to the harbor. It was during its voyage back to port that it struck a ledge, or some other object, around Whitehead Passage. The second Coast Guard boat assisted the Portland fireboat at that time.

"They were taking on a little bit of water," said Paul Painter, search-and-rescue controller for the Coast Guard. "They were able to keep up with it, but we brought them gas and a pump, just in case." [this means ANOTHER boat]

"Late Saturday, the hunter [any of you tried a 12 gauge from a kayak or canoe?], his wife and their rescuers were still on the island, awaiting an incoming tide that would allow enough water to float the beached inflatable and a small vessel dispatched by Maine Marine Patrol. [which rumors say also had 'run aground']

Staff Writer Bob Keyes can be contacted at 791-6457 or at: bkeyes@pressherald.com"

PS: I pass this on for what its worth. For sure I'll hear about these kayakers' general responsibility (he and wife may have been in a canoe, unverified). Certainly this small boater may have lacked certain basic Darwinian skills, but in my humble opinion it appears from the unverified article that some of the involved professional mariners need to focus on their application of general seamanship.

I don't understand why kayakers need a reputation any more than bicyclists or pedestrians do. A person doing a particular activity doesn't make an {insert activity here}er. If a person whizzing down a hill on a bike crashes and burns nobody tries to indict bikes. Skiers running into trees. Do people actually associate these situations with a negative of kayaks or is it just perceived?

If I were to draw a circle in the sand for "kayakers", the dude in a small boat shooting ducks doesn't get in. He might not even get accepted into the Hunters' circle (they are probably worried about the same negative publicity from this article.) The non-swimmer with the PFD stowed in the hatch who capsizes and drowns doesn't make the team either. FAIL. I'm not sure I'd even consider myself a "kayaker" until I do something impressive like cross the ocean - on purpose.

If the people in the news didn't have "kayaks" they'd be in a canoe or johnboat braving the ocean and we can guess what would happen then. Perhaps more people are alive because cheap kayaks were available and they didn't opt for something completely inappropriate? Even an Old Town Barge is probably safer than most other small boats not more properly fitting the kayak description. A friend of mine, when younger, took an inflatable raft out to islands in Salem Harbor to camp. That's a bit risky but that's what was available. Props: Clearly he's more adept at avoiding mussels than I am.

Not every accident means someone did something wrong anyway. People used to row dinghies everywhere and capsize all the time but it wasn't a political event. I was just reading about the lighthouse keeper and his daughter from Whaleback capsizing whenever that was. Stuff happens, and not all of it requires the response of a 65 ft boat (holy overkill. Sounds like the jumped at the chance to take out the new toy.)

I'd also be willing to bet far more powerboaters get into trouble than "kayakers", as well as swimmers in rips or getting cramps or whatever happens that makes people sink when we naturally float. What about lobstermen and fishermen? They need saving all the time due to being out when they shouldn't be or just having bad luck like anyone else.

By the way, how does a reporter get away with "His wife was with him, though it was not clear whether she was in the kayak with him or in another vessel." Does this guy bother to interview or just listen to stories at the bar? Maybe he accidentally hit the keyboard shortcut for Send when writing his story and it went out prematurely. At least cop out with something like, "calls to determine whether the wife was in a different vessel or not were not immediately returned." In any event, I wouldn't put him in the reportER circle with an article like that.

So why doesn't the CG, Portland Fire Department and any other people that operate outboard boat who expect to ground them from time to time carry a nice 12 foot long spruce setting pole?

We got them in the MITA skiffs which go ashore hundreds of times each season. We have done some lower unit damage but its not been in grounding out.

The hunter was not in a real kayak.... in a double paddle canoe as L F Herreshoff called them; today's rotomolded ones are a far cry from the elegant craft of Rushton, LFH and Bart Hauthaway.

The dude got as far as Jewell and he had his wife with him? Something tells me he lives on an island nearby.

So why doesn't the CG, Portland Fire Department and any other people that operate outboard boat who expect to ground them from time to time carry a nice 12 foot long spruce setting pole?

We got them in the MITA skiffs which go ashore hundreds of times each season. We have done some lower unit damage but its not been in grounding out.

The hunter was not in a real kayak.... in a double paddle canoe as L F Herreshoff called them; today's rotomolded ones are a far cry from the elegant craft of Rushton, LFH and Bart Hauthaway.

While the paddler may not be the brightest bulb in the pack, it seems to me that the real losers in this situation are the people piloting the rescue boats. After all, it's their JOB to navigate those waters. While it would at least be understandable if they damaged their boat in an attempt to rescue someone, it's inexcusable for them to have done so simply while navigating back to port. Blaming the rescued person(s) is scapegoating, pure and simple.

it appears from the unverified article that some of the involved professional mariners need to focus on their application of general seamanship.

For personal edification and to look at the seamanship issues, why would someone at night use the only approach south of Long I. that does not have numerous lighted buoys? For that matter, while involving tighter turns, even Chandler Cove has more lighted buoys and deeper water than Whitehead Passage. If going through Hussey, then it is a run down Diamond Passage with shallow water, but at least there are lighted buoys. On the outside of Whitehead Passage, not much room for error with the channel narrow along with no lighted buoys at that end. Tom, how often do 65' boats go through Whitehead passage day or night?

Perhaps with fancy GPS screen and radar at the helm no need to think about such things is the attitude?

Ed Lawson

I'm no expert but it seems that this rescue could have been done with a fast rubber boat and a thermoss of hot cocoa.

For personal edification and to look at the seamanship issues, why would someone at night use the only approach south of Long I. that does not have numerous lighted buoys? For that matter, while involving tighter turns, even Chandler Cove has more lighted buoys and deeper water than Whitehead Passage. If going through Hussey, then it is a run down Diamond Passage with shallow water, but at least there are lighted buoys. On the outside of Whitehead Passage, not much room for error with the channel narrow along with no lighted buoys at that end. Tom, how often do 65' boats go through Whitehead passage day or night?

Perhaps with fancy GPS screen and radar at the helm no need to think about such things is the attitude?

Ed Lawson

"By then, the Portland fireboat was on its way back in to the harbor. It was during its voyage back to port that it struck a ledge, or some other object, around Whitehead Passage. The second Coast Guard boat assisted the Portland fireboat at that time.

It was obviously bad judgement on the part of the Captain of the 65' Fireboat to try to navigate through Whitehead Passage during an astromical low tide especially when there were much safer options. I could see if they went through Whitehead Passage on the way to the rescue to take the shortest route but to go through it on the way back was just a bad decision which will cost the City of Portland some serious money for repair of the Fireboat.

Neil

It was obviously bad judgement on the part of the Captain of the 65' Fireboat to try to navigate through Whitehead Passage during an astromical low tide especially when there were much safer options. I could see if they went through Whitehead Passage on the way to the rescue to take the shortest route but to go through it on the way back was just a bad decision which will cost the City of Portland some serious money for repair of the Fireboat.

Neil

update from PPH below...

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.ph...48&ac=phnws

update from PPH below...

[wise guy response]

"He said crews will eventually retrace the precise course of the fireboat, as much as possible, to locate any navigational hazards.

Hopefully they will not damage another boat in the process.

"We want to find out what it was" that the boat hit, he said."

They might want to start by looking at the contours just north of the green day mark #3.

My SWAG is its not a place to casually motor through GPS or not without thinking about how to approach and which side to favor between nun and day mark.

[/wise guy response]

Ed Lawson

Who has run onto rocks in odd places too.

I personally think it is the people with motor craft and sailboats with huge keels that are crazy going out on the ocean. I'm surprised people don't hit things all the time. After spending time on ADK lakes having to worry about unseen hazards I'd think having the water level change all day long would make it just that more complicated. Not everyone has GPS enabled charting computers. Besides hitting something you can run out of gas, have motor problems, etc. I've experienced it all, on freshwater (I wasn't driving!) Even on a big lake you have a shore closer than Africa.

I feel safer in a low-draft boat with minimal mechanics, myself. My childhood memories are chocked full of dad swearing and trying to start engines. Trying to find a tow. Tinkering with electricals. Having extra batteries. The trailer lighting was always malfunctioning too. Doesn't sound like fun to me! He's still at it though.